SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New exhaust installation

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  KurT5 
#1 ·
I recieved the new exhaust from OBX the other day... i havent even seen it because i had it delivered to my house. I am going home thursday for some things and i planned on installing it. I was wondering what all is needed to remove the old exhaust and install the new one. Im hopefully gunna get it installed in a few hours but if anyone has pictures or instructions that would be very helpful. If anyone has pointers or some lovely insite that would be great because i have to get back to college thrusday night and dont want to run into any problems. thanks in advance

#2 ·
I haven't received mine yet, but have researched it a lot on Volvospeed. Gary said that for the most part it bolts right up. There is a little tweaking to get it to fit right, and you need to swap a bracket around or something where the rear muffler is. All in all not a bad job for the price of the exhaust I guess.

#3 ·
Re: (jrodT5)

k thanks. I looked it up on VS too and saw the OBX exhaust install but a lot of the issues were involving the DP, and cat with 02 sensors an stuff. Im just installing the CAT back system for now because i havent gotten my car chipped out but im assuming they will prolly still ahve some of the same issues as if i were to install the entire thing from the DP out

#4 ·
QUESTION!!!!

Is the exhaust from the cat to the rear of the car welded to the cat? If anyone has an OBX exhaust on their car gimmie a hand. I can only install from the cat back on my car because i have to get the ECU done before i can put the DP on. Is the exhaust welded into the CAT, and also how do i go about removing that without pushing and pulling on the DP / turbo if i simply want to just put the CAT-back system on the car for now?

Do i leave a little extra if i have to cut it off so i can slide the new exhaust on? how do i clamp it if i have to cut the old one off ect ect

#6 ·
Kurt you will actually want to get the DP and exhaust on before your tune to maximize your power. There is no point in doing exhaust then getting a tune, then putting the DP on, you would have to reflash the ECU for the DP again.

#7 ·

when i called IPD they told me that i could put the DP on but i would over boost about instantly because the amount of flow available. they said to wait and have the car re-programed knowing i have a DP to add to it. I mean i could wait and do it all at once but the f*cks at my job canned me because they wanted cheap labor so im kinda strapped for cash and theres some other things i have to do like ABS modual, rear suspension, turbo drain seal. so it has to wait but it kills me because i open the box and it was like xmas. i was like a kid in a candy store

#8 ·
Hmm that's odd. I have installed numerous DP's and exhaust kits on these cars at the shop and never had a problem with them overboosting because of free flowing exhaust. Not saying IPD is wrong, they know their stuff but that is just weird to me.

#9 ·

yea idk. id put it on but if i hammer on it (like i do) and ipd is right im funked cause im guttin my cat (ny emissions). also im afraid to risk it cause its my DD

#10 ·
Well my OBX kit is back ordered for 2-3 weeks, I am putting it right on when I get it, so If I get it on in time before you I will let you know what happens man. Take care.

#11 ·

that would be great. I have mine i even opened it and i love it but i was only bringing home crap for the night so i didnt have time to put it on. I am more than ready to put it on i just dont wanan find out the hard was that if i put the DP on without havin the car tuned if im funked. i was gunna use the stock cat (its beattttt) and gut it that way it looked like i have one an jsut use a spacer to fool the 02. Im assuming the DP with the weld near the neck during the bend toward the flange is the straight one? the long sweaping neck with no weld from the flex pipe to the flange is the angled flange? because i have to list my angled flange. whats a good $$$? cause im broke outa college and the sweet internship at the arx firm fell through so now i have a sweet car and no $$$ which is why im afraid to put the DP on without a tune after talkin with IPD

any words of wisdom i need to know before tackelin this? also how could i hook up just the "cat back" part of the exhaust if i am to pansy to put the DP on without a chip tune? like maybe leave about 5 inch of pipe of the stock exhaust after the cat and slide over? i havent really done an exhaust on this car before just a 98 jetta and i was super ghetto and gutted the res and cat cause i wanted some umph

#12 ·
You will be able to the see the straight flange one and the angled one pretty easily I'm sure. The straightflange one will look to have less "flow" to it. So you are right with the bend towards the flange being the straight one.

As for selling the angled one I have seen them go from $150-250 depending on finding the right buyer.

Installation: Make sure you are careful when taking the bolts off of the turbo studs (when the time comes), you don't want to snap one of those off.

As for the exhaust you can't really install just the OBX catback to the stock DP. It has two different flanges that will not seal up. You would have to mod one of the pipes to match the other, by then the other one will have to be swapped back over to intsall the OBX DP. Sounds confusing but they just don't work together without matching flanges.

Good luck dude. I can't wait for mine! It has already been 2 and I gotta wait 2 more now!

#13 ·

so should i make a post asking if i will throw an over boostin code in regards to putting on the 3 in DP without having a tune? im not saying you dont know your stuff at all it was just that you were the first to tell me it would be fine putting it on without a tune. Im ready for the exhaust minus a tune. i have the intake, tcv, and a full stage 0 and anensum

i guess my basic fear is that this is my daily driver. i had a 95 jeep but that kinda sh*t the bed (frame wise) and it still runs like a champ with 250k on it but it just isnt safe to drive so now all i have is the volvo and i cant afford to funk anything up especially not having a job now so ehh.

call me retarded but i had trouble seeing the difference of the 2 downpipes. angled vs straight. because depending how you hold them they could both be straight or angled haha. but thats just me. i just looked up some listings and the one with a long sweeping curve without any welds right after the turbo flange was what people were listing as the angled DP so ill just snap somepics of that and sell that ill prolly say like 175 ish + shipping

#14 ·
Re: (KurT5)

okay its idiot time... i have a straight flange turbo correct? (just wanna make sure before i ship out my angled one) I have a 98 S70 T5m and it has a build date of like 11/97 so im assuming this was pre angled flange but i just wanan double check before i shoot my self in my foot (and then head if i make the mistake)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.