SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody!

I have been stalking these forums for a few months while considering purchasing a S60 R design. Love the looks of the car, and from what I have read it is a fun drive as well.

I am also getting married in April and we want to go to Europe for our honeymoon, so I was thinking what better way to explore Europe than in a brand new S 60 ;) Does anybody know who would be the best person/dealer to contact in the New England region? I want somebody who has experience dealing with Overseas Delivery because I already talked to a sale person who now keeps trying to sell me a 2015 model they have in stock...

Thank you for the help in advance!! :)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
There are a couple of really good dealers on this site that can help you out (and arrange delivery to a local dealer). New England is a pretty big area so you might want to reduce the area down a bit -- something like "within an hour of downtown Boston" or similar.

Of course the dealer wants to sell you the car on the lot -- they've been paying interest (or cost of money) and insurance on it; if you take it off the lot that's $$ today. OSD is $$ 2-6 months from now.

There are some good websites and threads here that discuss the program. In some ways it does sound too good to be true; I spent a lot of time trying to find the catch.

We picked up our S60 in April 2012, spent 3 weeks in Europe putting 3000 miles on the car -- and would do it again. This was not our first (and wasn't our last) driving trip in Europe. It was our first Volvo and first OSD.

You're combining several big decisions with major considerations all together -- buying a new car, planning a wedding, and planning a European driving vacation. We make reservations at the start and end of trip, during the middle we make our reservations day-by-day -- if not before we leave the prior hotel in the morning we stop at McD's mid-afternoon and use the wifi to pick our hotel for that night. But we can deal with that kind of uncertainty and treat the hotel as a place to sleep -- not a destination in itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response! I am located about half an hour south of Boston but I am willing to travel a bit in order to deal with somebody with experience.

I have done a bit of research regarding Volvo overseas delivery (as well as BMW Euro delivery) so at this point I am pretty familiar with the whole thing and you are right, it seems like an amazing deal and you also get to experience some amazing roads and locations!

So I have read that you can get up to 8% off of MSRP when you do overseas delivery; is this close to the truth? I am assuming it still needs to be negotiated with the dealer and not automatic?

Making reservations for just the beginning and the end of the trip and then getting hotels as you go seems like a good idea and it allows for a lot more flexibility in the schedule, however my fiancé would never go for that unfortunately; she is the type of person who needs to have everything planned and scheduled well ahead.

How do you like your S60 btw? This would be my first Volvo as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The OSD price is supposed to be no-haggle although some have reported getting a bit from the dealer (but I wouldn't bet on it). You can find the price list at http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg4.htm

I ran the numbers and came close to what Edmund's was calling a "good deal" in my area. Could I have gotten cheaper by taking one off the lot? Possibly, but then I wouldn't get exactly what I want. You can order individual options that normally only come as part of packages (in our case, it was heated seats without the rest of the "cold weather package").

I'm over 60K miles now and am still happy with my car. And the memories from the trip are a "gift that keeps on giving".

Being flexible in your travel arrangements can lead to discovery -- finding things/places/etc you didn't realize. But you have to be comfortable with your trip.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I cannot give you any guidance for a knowledgable salesperson in your area, but Bob Kennedy (on this forum) is on the east coast and can handle the ordering process like a champ. I would contact him and discuss your situation and he would give you some great advice. The OSD program is terrific!

Here is his email: [email protected]

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
Thank you for the response! I am located about half an hour south of Boston but I am willing to travel a bit in order to deal with somebody with experience.

I have done a bit of research regarding Volvo overseas delivery (as well as BMW Euro delivery) so at this point I am pretty familiar with the whole thing and you are right, it seems like an amazing deal and you also get to experience some amazing roads and locations!

So I have read that you can get up to 8% off of MSRP when you do overseas delivery; is this close to the truth? I am assuming it still needs to be negotiated with the dealer and not automatic?

Making reservations for just the beginning and the end of the trip and then getting hotels as you go seems like a good idea and it allows for a lot more flexibility in the schedule, however my fiancé would never go for that unfortunately; she is the type of person who needs to have everything planned and scheduled well ahead.

How do you like your S60 btw? This would be my first Volvo as well.

The 8% savings figures WAS true some years ago....the $ savings is not quite as generous these days.
See the OSD price lists here on Volvo's website: http://www.volvocars.com/us/buy/shopping-tools/overseas-delivery

You can compare those to the "Build & Price" page here: http://www.volvocars.com/us/buy/shopping-tools/build-your-volvo#/model

Remember too....you don' pay the typical U.S. delivery charge on OSD purchases and you get the two "free" roundtrip airfares to Scandinavia plus the local transport, hotel night, breakfast, lunch, factory tour, 2 weeks insurance in Europe...and the custom ordering flexibility for the Volvo of your dreams.

+2 for the recommendation for Bob Kennedy....have met him personally and he's an expert in OSD and can handle all the paperwork from his location in Charlotte, NC.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and awesome honeymoon European travels!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just got back from my third OSD trip - things have changed over the years ... but it is still something I would highly recommend doing.

For this trip I ordered up a 2016 XC90 T8 ... no discount as this car is in great demand. But as others have noted, compare what the on-line pricing tool, dealer pricing and the (fixed) OSD price is. Note: I did have some significant price discounts for the previous two OSD XC90's ... and sometimes the OSD people will offer discounts on packages and/or travel incentives for vehicles delivered in the off-months.

Are you an existing Volvo owner? If not (i.e., you don't have a relationship with an existing dealer) then working with someone like Bob Kennedy here can take your order and have it delivered to your favourite / nearby Volvo dealer for pickup. You can also ring up the Volvo OSD folks - they may be able to tell you who they work with in your area.

As for travel - and things are always subject to change - currently you can fly from the US on either British Airways or SAS ... to / from destinations in Scandinavian or London. For our recent trip we went on BA into London ... took the Eurostar train to Brussels ... an inexpensive one-way flight (on Brussels Air) to Göteborg (Sweden) and picked up our car.

This trip we opted to also go back to Göteborg ... but you can also drop off your car at a number of different cities in Europe (I've done Amsterdam) for a small handling charge. If you do that with the current program you may have to pay for the portion of your flight (or ground transportation) back to somewhere in Scandinavia or London.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes things have changed. My first pick-up was for a 1984 YM in 1983. We traveled with a group of military from Germany to the plant. Had to pay for the flight but three days and two nights was paid for by Volvo. Upon arrival the first thing that they did was refund the cost for the flight!!!! Wined and dined us for the time there , toured the plant, was taken to the test track where they had all of the current YM cars for us to test drive, as well as ride with professional drivers if we desired. The test track was amazing and really opened our eyes to the Volvo product line. They even treated us to a nice Medieval dinner in a Castle out in the harbor. After arriving back home I was notified that we had won a contest that Volvo was holding at the time, " Volvo Gold ". We were surprised because we had not entered, seems that the dealer had entered us. The prize was an all expense paid trip to Cruise the Nile for a week on a Sheraton cruise ship. Volvo did an amazing job for us. That is part of the reason that Volvo is the only car I have driven since. Waiting for the new XC 60 ( next year I hope ) and possibly another trip..................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the replies everybody! There is some really good info here and I will def contact Bob Kennedy once ready to move forward with this!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just noticed that you can no longer get the r design with the old 6 cylinder engine.... Now that is a bummer. does anybody know how the T6 drive E compares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Absolute no brainer. Do the deal with Bob Kennedy. I'm doing an OSD delivery in May, 2016 and I wouldn't have done it with anyone else on the planet.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Absolute no brainer. Do the deal with Bob Kennedy. I'm doing an OSD delivery in May, 2016 and I wouldn't have done it with anyone else on the planet.
Bob is a good man and very knowledgeable!!!

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
Bob is a good man and very knowledgeable!!!
Absolutely!

Hope to see you again Bob in July....and discuss what's on the Volvo OSD horizon for 2017!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts