SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Getting back to when these new MY22+ 18kWHr XC60 T8s will appear in the US, the fact that we have not seen any official PR on the US website make me wonder if it'll be a MY23 thing. The Swedish PR states that these versions are available now and the Swedish website does show a 78km WLTP. So maybe only Sweden for now?

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Getting back to when these new MY22+ 18kWHr XC60 T8s will appear in the US, the fact that we have not seen any official PR on the US website make me wonder if it'll be a MY23 thing. The Swedish PR states that these versions are available now and the Swedish website does show a 78km WLTP. So maybe only Sweden for now?
Also ready to order in UK per Volvo UK website.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also ready to order in UK per Volvo UK website.
Once the line starts producing the Recharge models with the 18kWHr batteries they are not going to continue making the old version if past practice is predictive. Yes, it is possible that one market may go without any Recharge cars at all for some period of time, but dealers in the U.S., as elsewhere, are clamoring for new product so that does not seem likely. With current chip shortages and other supply issues it is not as if a plethora of vehicles with the current hybrid battery are going to be sitting in inventory at the factory or elsewhere to meet the market demand in the U.S. to be released from current production prior to the November changeover date.

The only delays may relate to awaiting any updated EPA certifications but at least in the past that has not stopped Volvo from manufacturing the vehicles and shipping them to the U.S. where they wait at port or at a supply location before being released to dealers.

The other intangible against Volvo USA holding out the 18kWHr battery equipped models as a MY23 designation, is that reportedly Volvo really wants to have its completely new Recharge XC90 successor designated as a 2023 model that will become available sometime in 2022 assuming the U.S. factory (where it will be built) can get on line.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I am amazed that my brand new T6 MY22 got outdated just one month after I purchased it. This is unacceptable strategy from Volvo, the improvement in the electric motor is really remarkable, increasing power and autonomy.

In the website the specs are already updated.

How Volvo can treat customer like this? I am really disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry that I did not mention my unit is an European T6 recharge. Therefore yes, unfortunately few weeks after it’s been launched has been upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a great thing that they keep updating. I’m excited for the advancement and honestly am surprised it took this long for them to up the ERAD output especially considering they’ve not upped ICE output in 5 years either. If anything with Recharge T6 and T8 they have the opportunity to update output more frequently just as battery tech has been advancing - and considering they have been updating battery capacity nearly every year or other year. Just after we took delivery of our T8 in July of 2017 the 2018 models shipped with 11.2kW battery. Envious yes, upset not in the slightest. I knew what I was buying. A 2017 XC90 T8. Love it and happy to contribute to it's ongoing development by having bought in to it.

My surprise is your reaction. It sounds like you don’t want incremental improvements given you just bought in. With that mind set we’d still be driving Model T and using the original iPhone etc. there’s a normal product development cycle and in the automotive world it’s well established. It’s no surprise that Volvo was going to come out with 2022 models at the end of summer after their summer shut down. Your frustration in poorly timing your purchase isn’t Volvo’s fault. Oh and BTW the new models are usually more expensive than the outgoing ones. In case you weren’t aware and if that might have upset you had you waited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It’s a great thing that they keep updating. I’m excited for the advancement and honestly am surprised it took this long for them to up the ERAD output especially considering they’ve not upped ICE output in 5 years either. If anything with Recharge T6 and T8 they have the opportunity to update output more frequently.

My surprise is your reaction. It sounds like you don’t want incremental improvements given you just bought in. With that mind set we’d still be driving Model T and using the original iPhone etc. there’s a normal product development cycle and in the automotive world it’s well established. It’s no surprise that Volvo was going to come out with 2022 models at the end of summer after their summer shut down. Your frustration in poorly timing your purchase isn’t Volvo’s fault. Oh and BTW the new models are usually more expensive than the outgoing ones. In case you weren’t aware and if that might have upset you had you waited.
Thanks for advising me how stupid I am, and teaching me about market theory, and pricing strategies of new car models. But for your info, used models also lose market value when a new upgrade like this is revealed.

However, I do really believe that even you can understand that a MY2022 just launched with a facelift, should have an upgrade in battery if Volvo planned to launch it later this year. That is a clear example of bad scheduling and not evolution, I am so sorry. How come they did not do the facelift and power train upgrade together? that´s unacceptable.

As I said before, this is like Apple - after presenting iPhone13 yesterday, would present in 4 weeks an iPhone 13+ with double battery capacity, just after few days on market of latest model. I don’t really think you cannot get it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s a great thing that they keep updating. I’m excited for the advancement and honestly am surprised it took this long for them to up the ERAD output especially considering they’ve not upped ICE output in 5 years either. If anything with Recharge T6 and T8 they have the opportunity to update output more frequently just as battery tech has been advancing - and considering they have been updating battery capacity nearly every year or other year. Just after we took delivery of our T8 in July of 2017 the 2018 models shipped with 11.2kW battery. Envious yes, upset not in the slightest. I knew what I was buying. A 2017 XC90 T8. Love it and happy to contribute to it's ongoing development by having bought in to it.

I agree with Jan on this!

I ordered end of July a facelift model. The dealer told me then you are ordering a car with an all new infotainment, exterior elements have change like this and that. And I like that, owning something new.

I think doing a facelift and then 2-3 months later increasing battery 50% is a bit too much changes. Thankfully, I am getting the new battery.

Maybe we need to take a step back and consider that "all Volvo recharge" cars are getting this capacity bump. Maybe in other models it is very logic and timely but for a xc60 that just got a facelift, I find this may have been managed better.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Fineprint

About this advert

Specifications

The data displayed above details the usual specification of the most recent model of this vehicle. It is not the exact data for the actual vehicle being offered for sale and data for older models may vary slightly. We recommend you check the vehicle details with the seller before you buy.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Thanks for advising me how stupid I am, and teaching me about market theory, and pricing strategies of new car models. But for your info, used models also lose market value when a new upgrade like this is revealed.

However, I do really believe that even you can understand that a MY2022 just launched with a facelift, should have an upgrade in battery if Volvo planned to launch it later this year. That is a clear example of bad scheduling and not evolution, I am so sorry. How come they did not do the facelift and power train upgrade together? that´s unacceptable.

As I said before, this is like Apple - after presenting iPhone13 yesterday, would present in 4 weeks an iPhone 13+ with double battery capacity, just after few days on market of latest model. I don’t really think you cannot get it.

It happens in the tech field all of the time. I don't consider your decision stupid, only your astonishment that an upgrade came after your purchase. Mid cycle updates occur, either in features, and yes rarely in substantial function but they happen. Volvo had done something similar with battery capacities in 2017/2018 model years within the model year. It's not unheard of. Apple's also released improvements mid cycle either from inability to launch at new model introduction from either planned or unforeseen issues like supply chain delays, technical, manufacturing process, etc. MSFT has done the same thing with Xbox having released a new model they'll have component improvements in one case it drove incremental gains on the core chipset thanks to process improvements at Global Foundries. Whether it was a supply chain issue, late development of a planned update, or needing to meet volume commitments with suppliers, it's still great they push it out once ready rather than wait for the next model. Waiting a full year later would have been an eternity. I can imagine it feels lousy and I'm sure in hindsight its easy to say you would have waited 2-3 months before buying. But would it have really been 2-3 months? Are they already available or will you have been waiting another 6-7 months to take delivery? How would that have changed your decision?

Reactions: jan.trencapins

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mid cycle updates occur, either in features, and yes rarely in substantial function but they happen. Volvo had done something similar with battery capacities in 2017/2018 model years within the model year.
So looking at all the "early" and "late" MY increments over recent years that were posted recently in the thread, just how many of the mid-MY are notably significant? I don't recall seeing this much swirl before, but I haven't been paying much attention until recently.

Just obsessing well in advance of MY24.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So looking at all the "early" and "late" MY increments over recent years that were posted recently in the thread, just how many of the mid-MY are notably significant? I don't recall seeing this much swirl before, but I haven't been paying much attention until recently.

Just obsessing well in advance of MY24.
Mid-year refreshes don’t happen every year for every model. With S60, there was 2018: 518B and 518H which released RHD and PHEV, respectively. 2019 had a 519B release and 2020 a 520B release. Both were for small part revisions and feature deletions. 2021 will not see a ‘B’ release. Instead the release is 521H since it’s mainly for the Hybrid system as we all know.

In an earlier post I mentioned this is only the third hybrid release. First in 2016, update in 2018, and now in 2021.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm INCREDIBLY pissed off about this. I placed an OSD order at the end of June. Volvo is really going to sell me a $70K XC60 Polestar that was built at the end of August, a week later announce that they've doubled the electric range and added 40HP, and then say tough tits as I watch my car be delivered at the beginning of November anyways? And this is on top of launching a midcycle facelift already only to tell the people that bought into it that they're SOL.

I'd honestly rather drop the entire order and go elsewhere if they're going to play games like this. I'll gladly eat the $3k deposit if it means not putting up with bull**** like this.

I hope to get some clarification about US orders soon from the OSD department or the dealer, as I'd prefer to have them dealer-swap or give my build to someone else who ordered and I'll wait for a W46+ build if US changes are confirmed for that time. I don't NEED this car, and these changes are far too significant to ignore.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mid-year refreshes don’t happen every year for every model. With S60, there was 2018: 518B and 518H which released RHD and PHEV, respectively. 2019 had a 519B release and 2020 a 520B release. Both were for small part revisions and feature deletions. 2021 will not see a ‘B’ release. Instead the release is 521H since it’s mainly for the Hybrid system as we all know.

In an earlier post I mentioned this is only the third hybrid release. First in 2016, update in 2018, and now in 2021.
Do you think some of these iterations are just edits to the owners manual? S60 MY20 & MY21, and CY19 & CY20, all seem to have two iterations...

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm INCREDIBLY pissed off about this. I placed an OSD order at the end of June. Volvo is really going to sell me a $70K XC60 Polestar that was built at the end of August, a week later announce that they've doubled the electric range and added 40HP, and then say tough tits as I watch my car be delivered at the beginning of November anyways? And this is on top of launching a midcycle facelift already only to tell the people that bought into it that they're SOL.

I'd honestly rather drop the entire order and go elsewhere if they're going to play games like this. I'll gladly eat the $3k deposit if it means not putting up with bull**** like this.

I hope to get some clarification about US orders soon from the OSD department or the dealer, as I'd prefer to have them dealer-swap or give my build to someone else who ordered and I'll wait for a W46+ build if US changes are confirmed for that time. I don't NEED this car, and these changes are far too significant to ignore.
I understand you!
I was also thinking about cancelling the order and pay whatever I have to pay but not get something that outdated before even delivery.

·
Registered
684 Posts
A sales rep at my local Volvo dealership here says that MY 2022 T8 Volvos will have the 11-kWh battery pack only. It's MY 2023 T8 Volvos that will have the 19-kWh pack, apparently -- so not for a full year yet. It's highly unlikely that an announcement (made just this week) would be implemented so quickly as a few months from now, in the middle of a model year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s already live for EU orders right on the Volvo website, so unless Volvo USA is going to be an outlier, 2021W46 change is pretty much on schedule.

A sales rep at my local Volvo dealership here says that MY 2022 T8 Volvos will have the 11-kWh battery pack only. It's MY 2023 T8 Volvos that will have the 19-kWh pack, apparently -- so not for a full year yet. It's highly unlikely that an announcement (made just this week) would be implemented so quickly as a few months from now, in the middle of a model year.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Unless they stop selling Recharge models for the US or there’s no chips to make any cars until MY23, I don’t see this being the case. Once the changeover occurs, all Recharges produced regardless of market will have the upgraded system.

It’s also not ‘so quickly’. COMY for ‘22 was week 17 (unless plants had chip shortages). PHEV changeover is wk46. That’s over halfway towards the next model year

Reactions: northcar
61 - 78 of 78 Posts