SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is great info and most entertaining. I haven't even read the sports page yet today.

Let's say you'd like a "late" MY build, assume ~week 46-48 - when might the production plan be locked in? Perhaps coincide w/ "early" MY changeover in ~week 17-19? Or (much) earlier than that? And how sophisticated/cooperative is the ordering system to time a build for an order? Is it blind luck, so you must time your order submission and cross your fingers?

Alternatively, is it possible to order promptly for a MY yet specify a build no-earlier-than date, then you go into a cue and wait for a build slot after that date? For example, if you wanted MY22 "late", could you cite week 46-47-48 or later and just wait your turn?

And for Volvo, what's the first day of a given week of production? Monday?
The ‘final’ build plan is often fixed 10 days before a particular order is to be built. There’s probably more planning hoops it jumps through before reaching that final plan phase.

First day of the week is Monday (wkXXd1). Certain plants run M-F (d1-d5) and others run M-Su (d1-d7)

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The order book for a new model year opens around Feb-Mar. as a general rule where pricing is available.

If you want mid-year (late version, post week ~48), you could order in late Nov.-Jan. Any earlier, you risk getting an early model or f the current model year. If you order in late Feb-Mar, you will likely move into the next model year.

A piece I f advice though is that you should want a customer factory order. Some dealers may try to pigeon-hole you into customizing one of their allocations that would scheduled to be built. If the dealer gets sloppy, you may get a vehicle with things you did not want or worse without things that you did want.

That is why you want to have the new car sales manager or your sales rep Edson to show you a copy of the order status which they can review at least weekly if not daily in the US. We are not as fortunate as Europe who can see their order status online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
First day of the week is Monday (wkXXd1). Certain plants run M-F (d1-d5) and others run M-Su (d1-d7)
The order book for a new model year opens around Feb-Mar. as a general rule where prescription ring s available.

If you want mid-year (late version, post week ~48), you could order in late Nov.-Jan. Any earlier, you risk getting an early model or f the current model year. If you order in late Feb-Mar, you will likely move into the next model year.
More great info, thanks.

OK suppose you want an earliest- "late" MY build - say NET than last Mon in Nov (start of week 48) - does that play it safe enough w/ mid-MY changeover?

Does the ordering system grant you ability to schedule a build (at least w/ NET date), or do you have to time your order submission to ensure NET than week 48? How early is safe enough to submit? I'd like delivery in time for Christmas, but I'm thinking getting mid-MY is more important. So sooner-is-better, but after mid-MY changeover.

I've already reconnected w/ my sales POC, ordered w/ him last time and will do so again when the time comes. But haven't asked him about all this yet, he may think I'm obsessive...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
More great info, thanks.

OK suppose you want an earliest- "late" MY build - say NET than last Mon in Nov (start of week 48) - does that play it safe enough w/ mid-MY changeover?

Does the ordering system grant you ability to schedule a build (at least w/ NET date), or do you have to time your order submission to ensure NET than week 48? How early is safe enough to submit? I'd like delivery in time for Christmas, but I'm thinking getting mid-MY is more important. So sooner-is-better, but after mid-MY changeover.

I've already reconnected w/ my sales POC, ordered w/ him last time and will do so again when the time comes. But haven't asked him about all this yet, he may think I'm obsessive...
You’re funny…. in a good way. If you want delivery by Christmas, you will likely have to place your order by Nov. 1st since order to delivery is about 2 months with zero slippage. Ordering on Nov. 1st could get you the last “early” version or the first “late” version.

Neither customers nor dealers get to influence Volvo’s production schedule - so you are at Volvo’s mercy based on component parts inventory, et al.

Once the chassis number is assigned (soon after LDC - last date of change - passes),’you are locked in, the production schedule gets set very soon, and your VIN becomes known to the dealer.

IMO, you would be safer with a 2 1/2 month window if you “need” your car by Christmas, but it would likely be the early version.

Also, the Christmas and New Years week can be challenging. The plants are closed for a week or so. Nothing gets off of the ship if it arrives on 12/30 either - personal experience. Nothing practically gets through Customs over the Christmas / New Years week.

If you want your cake and don’t mind eating it a bit later than Christmas , then a Nov.1st order could work out for you.

Regardless, you will be threading the proverbial needle.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You’re funny…. in a good way. If you want delivery by Christmas, you will likely have to place your order by Nov. 1st since order to delivery is about 2 months with zero slippage. Ordering on Nov. 1st could get you the last “early” version or the first “late” version.

Neither customers nor dealers get to influence Volvo’s production schedule - so you are at Volvo’s mercy based on component parts inventory, et al.

Once the chassis number is assigned (soon after LDC - last date of change - passes),’you are locked in, the production schedule gets set very soon, and your VIN becomes known to the dealer.

IMO, you would be safer with a 2 1/2 month window if you “need” your car by Christmas, but it would likely be the early version.

Also, the Christmas and New Years week can be challenging. The plants are closed for a week or so. Nothing gets off of the ship if it arrives on 12/30 either - personal experience. Nothing practically gets through Customs over the Christmas / New Years week.

If you want your cake and don’t mind eating it a bit later than Christmas , then a Nov.1st order could work out for you.

More great info, thanks.

This is feeling like a mortgage-lock game, rates generally getting better the longer you can wait, but you're also homeless and need a place to live.

Reactions: Gary-16-Xc90

·
Registered
11 Posts
There have been some threads on that around the SPA XC90. Generally, you should assume a build can take up to one day to one week - depending on the configuration. A base model Momentum more like a day, whereas a fully loaded T8 Inscription up to a week.

This all assumes that there are no inventory component parts shortage and the factory is not closed down (e.g., summer holidays, CPU shortage). I doubt that the 60 models are significantly shorter than the 90s. There are threads/stickies in the that go into great detail over the years with factory orders - both OSD and non-OSD:
This is very interesting Gary, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Gary what I don't get in your above reply is that you are talking about a 2 or 2 1/2 month period between order and delivery.
I ordered in end of July and my estimated delivery is mid-January. I am located in Belgium which is not far from the factory actually. :)

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Gary what I don't get in your above reply is that you are talking about a 2 or 2 1/2 month period between order and delivery.
I ordered in end of July and my estimated delivery is mid-January. I am located in Belgium which is not far from the factory actually. :)
Yes, there are a lot of variables and the stars must align for the optimal “thread the needle” scenario.

What you are getting at, which I missed emphasizing, is that there are likely going to be a backlog of orders, probably deferments, and likely some cancellations due to the chip shortage.

I based my estimate on an earlier XC90 factory that was delivered to the “T” in the US based on a two-month window. In that case, the individual had a three-month window. I think this example was pre-COVID and pre-chip shortage which are two serious resource and supply constraints that are adversely affecting production now.

Timing and delivery also depend where the vehicles are coming from. It is possible that Volvo is exporting vehicles manufactured in the US back to Europe and elsewhere to offset imports coming from your back door (Ghent).

Anyway, please take my comments with a grain of salt. Past and recent experiences can be useful, but there are way more business and manufacturing dependencies that I will never know or fully comprehend. It is all fascinating, but I do not have the crystal ball.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yes, there are a lot of variables and the stars must align for the optimal “thread the needle” scenario.

Anyway, please take my comments with a grain of salt. Past and recent experiences can be useful, but there are way more business and manufacturing dependencies that I will never know or fully comprehend. It is all fascinating, but I do not have the crystal ball.
So you’re saying if I don’t like my assigned build date, then I should contact you for a fix?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
So you’re saying if I don’t like my assigned build date, then I should contact you for a fix?
If you like your build date and delivery, please contact me and all.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If you like your build date and delivery, please contact me and all.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
So noted. We're about two years out from genuine drama about all this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

Just received confirmation from dealer that mine will be slightly delayed but with the new battery!
Honestly I can wait another month with no issues, 50% bump in electric range is not negligible.

Thanks all for all the useful info that you shared here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, that's a major change! I love that they are not holding this back until next model year! Apple would hold it back and then charge you more for it!! Ha Ha!
My initial thought is, I wonder if the motor and or the battery are interchangeable with the previous? It would be nice to get 30 miles of range!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Wow, that's a major change! I love that they are not holding this back until next model year! Apple would hold it back and then charge you more for it!! Ha Ha!
My initial thought is, I wonder if the motor and or the battery are interchangeable with the previous? It would be nice to get 30 miles of range!
Don’t think so. Bear in mind all car parameters will be impacted (power, co emissions, etc…) which require a new certification in most of the regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
When you ordered at end-July, were you informed of mid-Jan delivery before submitting? Just trying to figure out how much fidelity the ordering system provides/allows, how to possibly time order submission to get a desired build/delivery timeline, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you ordered at end-July, were you informed of mid-Jan delivery before submitting? Just trying to figure out how much fidelity the ordering system provides/allows, how to possibly time order submission to get a desired build/delivery timeline, etc.
When I ordered during the last week of July, I was told the delivery will take very long, estimated for Jan or Feb.
When the leasing company confirmed the order, they said December 24th :).
The the plant in Sweden shut down for a week or so, so my dealer said with xmas and new year, don't expect before mid Jan.

And now he told me that this new battery change may add a couple of more weeks. He said he will try to get some clarifications asap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
oops sent too soon:

Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Paper

either someone didn't proofread their HTML or ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess I found the answer. The 53km refers to this WLTP mileage rating, which is in no way "real world".

41 - 60 of 78 Posts