SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car was painted and doors fitted before I test drove the new door seals from VP. Put them on yesterday and the doors now require a substantial slam to close all the way. The fit is still good once it is closed, but I cant see living with this forever. Do the new seals settle after a while or do I need to start troubleshooting?

Pete

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pete;

Newly installed seals surely don't have the preset location which old ones had from years of having the door be pushed into them...probably part of the reason one replaces them is to get better preload and sealing, so this is the effect which comes along (presuming they are installed correctly and in their proper place)...if you want to "train" the new seals, you can tape them into position slightly to help this along...this might help and you might notice some decrease in force needed to close the doors.

I've used this trick on brand new trunk seals with success...without taping, it was darned near impossible to close the trunk! When taping, I'd not allow tape adhesive to contact the seal...it might affect rubber or be tough to remove...put a little piece of the tape to cover the adhesive in that area...

Cheers

·
Registered
331 Posts
Maybe a bit of (NON-silicone!) lube will help the new seals slide a bit on the paint? Not sure what product would be best to try, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 1800s cars and probably the 1800E have an adjustment built in which allows the tilt of rear of the window channel to be changed (look in the Greenbook body manual.) If the windows are tilted in to much the rubber has to compress quite a bit more behind them which can make it hard to close the doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if it is available in the US, But in Australia we have a product called Rubber Magic Spray, it is sprayed onto door or trunk rubber seals, then left with the door closed for 24 hours. This sets up a new memory position for the rubber and makes it easier to close against the seal.

I've done a search and it appears mainly available through Australian sources, however it is on ebay, but might be a bit costly with shipping.

Warren 70E

1 - 5 of 5 Posts