SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
- When accelerating to pass from say 70-90 the car exhibits that classic front-drive-acceleration sensation of the engine and transmission ready to break away from the rest of the car and drive off. very different from the off the line sensation which is very AWD. The Haldex must be front biased again at 70 mph.

- When pulling an "austin powers" u-turn maneuver, the backup camera simply stops turning on say the 4th or 5th time I shift into reverse

- When shifting from P to D or R to D there is an intermitten "SLAM" into drive. Feels like what has been described as the hard downshift in sport mode, but is with the car stationary, foot on brake, shifting at a standstill. Almost as if an engine mount bushing is gone. But it's intermitten.

- There is a clickng/banging noise coming from the lower right portion of the driver seat. Almost sounds like a seat belt latching and happens when I accelerate or brake. Can't duplicate just by moving around in the seat.

- MPG was 26.8 per the trip computer. For comparison, I've gotten 30 in a 3.5L Camry and 29 in a 3.5L M-B E Class. Very disappointing.

I'm really growing tired of issue after issue on a $45k car. All in all, this car is a massive disappointment. From a trunk that doesn't fit squarely on the body to the squeaks and rattles to the defective AC and undersized rakes, I'm done with Volvos. I'll have to drive this car for another few years I'm sure since my wife won't take kindly to me informing her I'm going to trade it for a 335 after 6 mos. So I'm sure I'll be posting more issues and annoyances until then.

The thing is, if the car were actually a great performer - acceleration, braking, handling etc, I could forgive the nuisance issues. It's a back of the pack car and I completely understand why. These arent things that manafest themselves during a test drive, so you have to be an owner to experience the bait and switch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i agree, it is a big let down. my car has 5k on it- and makes more noise,rattles etc then my last s70.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree, it is a big let down. my car has 5k on it- and makes more noise,rattles etc then my last s70.....
so much for "spanking the germans"

I wanted to believe it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention:

- When the second radiator fan comes on the car idles like a Viper with a cam. Not what I expect from a perfectly balanced I6.

- There is a new popping sound coming from the front end when I'm braking/turning.

- There also seems to be excessive drivetrain lash which makes me uncomfortable just mashing the gas to force a downshift.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My T5 just turned over 17k with none of these issues. Guess I am just lucky?

·
Registered
289 Posts
My T5 just turned over 17k with none of these issues. Guess I am just lucky?
I agree - I just turned 30K on my T5 and none of these issues have popped up. The only things I'm dealing with right now are:

- abrupt downshifting from 5 to 4
- slight creak from the driver's door
- wearing of the leather on the driver's seat

MPGs are 22 in the city and 31 on the highway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree - I just turned 30K on my T5 and none of these issues have popped up. The only things I'm dealing with right now are:

I have about 16k miles as I bought my S60 as a CPO and I don't have any of the issues described on the T6 above. Other than the Sensus updates, smeary wipers, and the left door seal that ripped I haven't had any major issues. I can see where the leather wearing will be a problem in the future though (although I think it will be less so in the Beechwood than in other colors).

I'm getting 22 with mostly city driving.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Some of these cars are a lemon. I got one of them. OP has one. Plus the fact that these are first and second MY vehicles doesn't help either. The lesson I learned is that in this day and age with technology being so advanced, avoiding first and second MY vehicles is more important than ever, especially with European cars. However will I shy away from Volvo? Probably not. Not until Geely or Volvo HQ screws it up in the next couple years, which I can see it happening. Volvo will always be one of the vehicles that I will consider or try to persuade people to buy, given as long as it's not a first MY car, and it of course is one of the vehicles that I would recommend or would want to buy. If you ask me now, I wouldn't buy a new BMW 3 series either. I'll wait for the 2013 model at the very least.

Regarding the R to D shift, did you apply enough brake pressure when shifting while you were stopped? I can easily make the car shift roughly by doing a rolling shift (at maybe 3Km/H of course) and applying tiny bit of gas. Or if I'm at a standstill and I didn't apply enough brake pressure despite the car being stopped, and I shift from R to D or D to R. This happens with all cars I've driven and sat in. Hence, this could be why you're experiencing it intermittently.

I find that the trip computer's fuel calculations are generally off a bit. Bit too optimistic. Now maybe the pump needs to be calibrated, we don't and will probably never know, but I won't be surprised if it is slightly optimistic.

As for the driver seat belt sound, Volvo should know about this by now as there's been quite a few complaints. Mine had a loose trim and they popped it back in. While the sound is still there, I haven't noticed it as much as I did before. Maybe I'm not paying attention. Who knows.

Wait, yours is a T6 model. That means your highway MPG is within the EPA estimate. That's a good thing! Why are you complaining?! I know Volvos aren't known for their fuel economy, but at least you're hitting the EPA estimate. It's useless to compare Volvo engines with other engines in my opinion, as Volvo engines are less fuel efficient than other. I mean, my dad's 2000 BMW 528 with a 2.8L inline 6 gets slightly worse (10%?) the same fuel economy as our 2000 S70 NA, while producing more power and torque than the S70.

·
Registered
897 Posts

My 12 T6 has 32k almost in 11 months almost. I have no issues except the occasional iphone weirdness and the leather chafing we all see I think. No rattles. The slightly abrupt downshift is typical and not that big a deal to me. I LOVE this Volvo more than my last 12 in a row though, so maybe I'm just sick :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Just passed 15k and I'm still lovin my Volvo. No issues at all other than a few Sensus updates. I can certainly understand your frustrations though. It can be very minor things that cause the love to hate transition, but really, to complain about getting 27mpg with a 325HP engine seems kinda silly to me. And what's the point in test driving a car if you don't examine acceleration, braking and handling if you plan to drive that way. Honestly this is the first complaint that I've read about poor acceleration in a T6. I can't speak to handling issues but what's the problem with the brakes, the fact that they are not larger then the other models? I think the brakes are pretty good, in fact, I think they're above average based on past experience. But then again, I don't track my cars nor do I floor the thing to the next red light. Me thinks you didn't take enough time in your new car decision process.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
- Yes, foot firmly on brake when shifting to drive. I'm not into ruining transmissions. I tested this over and over. sometimes it does it sometimes not.

- the seat/seatbelt noise isn't the buckle hitting the b-pillar. That's a different annoyance.

I also forgot to mention:

- wind noise from driver side

- headlamps so loose the headlight beam vibrates over the road. Seriously - I even tested this at a dealer - wait till it's fairly dark, put your light on, shine them against a wall, and shake the headlamp assy. Every car in the showroom did this. The dealer was embarrassed but said "hey if they all do it it must be normal"

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me thinks you didn't take enough time in your new car decision process.
I knew about the brakes and I know no one can make steering as good as the germans. If those were the issues I could live with that. The death by 1000 annoyance issues is what really makes me dislike the entire car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pushing 30k on a T5 with no real issues. Time for new wiperblades, that's about it. Solid as a rock.
Seems like the T5 owners are by and large more satisfied than the T6/T6RD owners.

Two (completely speculative items on my part) come to mind:

1) The inline T6 setup with 300 / 325hp and AWD is having some early growing pains, relative to the more typical (for Volvo) and stable inline 5 FWD setup.
2) Perhaps what we are seeing here is two different classes of consumers with differing expectation levels. The T6 and esp RD buyers may be accustomed to more upscale and performance oriented vehicles, and less tolerant of any design or performance shortfall. Many T5 owners (myself included) may be reaching to get into a (for us) more upscale car than an Accord or Camry.

My last car was a 2002 S60 base engine. So the 2012 S60 T5 represents a real upgrade in driving experience. Before that I had a 1991 Ford Explorer, before that a 1979 Saab 99, before that a 1979 Oldsmobile Omega. . .before that a riding mower and a 10-speed! :)

I have several hundred Grateful Dead cassette tapes with nothing to play them in!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me thinks you didn't take enough time in your new car decision process.
ecoDrive,
Do not judge the OP without knowing the facts that influenced his decision. What was your previous ride, probably a Hyundai Sonata or something, wasn't it?
At first look the car takes you back to 1992 when the BMW E36 (3 series, for the ones that don't know german cars) came in the market, with the elegant wind cheating shape. The 300 HP of the T6 and knowing about having an AWD gives you the confidence that you are safe on the road, it is not roomy but big enough for a daily driver... But the quality is not the best. I think Volvo came up with a great idea to fulfill that section of the market where a young professional wants a nice ride and the BMW 3 series (or the MB C-Class) is too small and the 5 series (or the E-Class) are big. It was a great idea but a terrible implementation, Volvo NA if you care about your customers remember that "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
- Yes, foot firmly on brake when shifting to drive. I'm not into ruining transmissions. I tested this over and over. sometimes it does it sometimes not.
I've gotten the hard shift from P to R a few times, but that was because I didn't press the brake down hard enough.

- the seat/seatbelt noise isn't the buckle hitting the b-pillar. That's a different annoyance.

Try pushing the seatbelt lock down between the seat cushion and center console. The spring is not strong enough and rattles over bumpy/rough roads. I'm going to bring this up Wednesday for my first oil change, though this fixes the issue and I doesn't bother me anymore. [I'll take a picture later and show you]

I also forgot to mention:

- wind noise from driver side
You have BLIS, we tend to get a little more wind noise than regular mirrors; my brother doesn't have BLIS and his is a little quietier than mine (this car is still a lot quietier than my last 2007 S60R).

- headlamps so loose the headlight beam vibrates over the road. Seriously - I even tested this at a dealer - wait till it's fairly dark, put your light on, shine them against a wall, and shake the headlamp assy. Every car in the showroom did this. The dealer was embarrassed but said "hey if they all do it it must be normal"
I checked this issue you are having this weekend on my car and my brother's RD and nothing. The headlamps are perfectly solid and have no play; are you sure your clips are pushed down all the way?
I can't say I'm unhappy with the MPG's, I'm getting 23.3MPG with mixed driving (20% city/80% hwy) and the car only has 6300 miles; I manually keep track of my fuel consumption at every fill up. I've been very lucky and have had little to no SENSUS issues (radio froze once 4 months ago, but hey my 2007 S60R HU wouldn't work at all when I started up the car from time to time, lol) and all other issues some report have not happened to me.

Overall I'm very happy with my new 2012 S60RD and it is possibly the best Volvo I've owned since my 1994 940 Turbo (RWD was fun for a 17yr old driver, hehe). As far as being behind the "Pack" like you say, I disagree but than again I enjoy quirky Swedish design over "Industrial German" design. My fiancee and I have been test driving a lot of cars lately for her and she absolutely wanted a Mercedes C-Class or BMW 3-series, but after spending a lot of time driving them and using the features in those cars, she prefers the Volvo's (S60/XC60) at the end of the day. She enjoyed driving them and thought they were better erognomically design for function over their German counterparts.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Why are you comparing the gas mileage of a 325 hp AWD S60 to a 268 hp FWD Camry?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Why are you comparing the gas mileage of a 325 hp AWD S60 to a 268 hp FWD Camry?
Because he can. And just because the car has more HP doesn't mean anything. Take a look at BMW's inline 4 and Audi A4's inline 4. While they might be underrated, they absolutely destroy the S60 in terms of fuel economy while not giving up much performance at all. For most people, you won't need to accelerate faster than 130Km/H unless you're racing or on a track. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172200-Another-Loss

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Because he can. And just because the car has more HP doesn't mean anything. Take a look at BMW's inline 4 and Audi A4's inline 4. While they might be underrated, they absolutely destroy the S60 in terms of fuel economy while not giving up much performance at all. For most people, you won't need to accelerate faster than 130Km/H unless you're racing or on a track. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172200-Another-Loss
T5 is 20City/30Hwy
2013 BMW 328i is 24City/33Hwy (EPA dropped them 3mpg on the Hwy recently) But BMW has Start/Stop technology and a lighter chassis than the S60.
A4 2.0T is 21City/29Hwy

T6 is 18cty/26hwy
335ix (2012) is 19cty/26hwy
S4 is 18cty/28hwy

So that isn't too far off from the competition.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes he can, but that does not make it a valid comparison.

The BMW in the test is rear wheel drive, not AWD. If you look at the data file that goes along with that test, you will see that the BMW and Audi did not exactly destroy the S60 in fuel economy C&D's experience. The data file reveals it was only 12% for both the BMW and Audi. In addition, the OP's experience shows S60 RD performing better than EPA estimates and what Volvo advertises. Add AWD to the BMW and I expect you will see the BMW numbers fall a little further.

Go pull the drive shaft and Haldex out of the car and see how your gas mileage improves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The death by 1000 annoyance issues is what really makes me dislike the entire car.
When it doesn't meet those expectations it is severely frustrating. I had my '98 VW Passat (first year of the new design) I had problem after problem. Both rear locks failed, the instruments had to be replaced, the heated seat switches failed, batter died twice, the transmission lever broke during cold weather (not kidding), the struts had to be replaced, and the radio would die. I bought it brand new, had it 8 months, and during that time I drove an Infiniti loaner car for 3 of those months. I would have wanted to keep the car longer but I just had enough of towing the car to the dealer.

As much flack as you're getting about the buying process, and whining, I honestly feel for you. You spent a ton of money on a car, you want everything to work and meet your expectation for the brand and the quality of car you thought you were buying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts