SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Ive been struggling with this S60R for awhile. Recently lost 1st gear (manual) and reverse. Noticed the master was loosing fluid, so I had the slave cylinder and clutch replaced. Just got the car back, it still shifts hard in the forward gears, and still no reverse unless the car is off. Theres 123k on the odometer. Any ideas?

Im literally ready to dump this p.o.s. as soon as possible. But cant really sell it with the reverse issue. I absolutely hate this car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
First step is talk nicer about her. Positive vibes go a long way.
All jokes aside, the shop should not have delivered the car without correcting the actual problem. I've never has this problem, but I remember several posts here where the ends of cables and maybe the cables themselves for shifting being a problem with proper shifting. It's really a simple two cable system so it's nothing that a shop shouldn't be able to diagnose correctly in a half hour. I would talk to the shop about their work not fixing the problem. Yeah, this is infuriating. Some people with actual experience are bound to chime in soon.

If you do some work yourself on your car, you can pull the airbox and have someone run through the gear positions and watch the cables do the shifting on top of the transmission. Then you can see if manipulating them right there on the transmission works better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First step is talk nicer about her. Positive vibes go a long way.
All jokes aside, the shop should not have delivered the car without correcting the actual problem. I've never has this problem, but I remember several posts here where the ends of cables and maybe the cables themselves for shifting being a problem with proper shifting. It's really a simple two cable system so it's nothing that a shop shouldn't be able to diagnose correctly in a half hour. I would talk to the shop about their work not fixing the problem. Yeah, this is infuriating. Some people with actual experience are bound to chime in soon.

If you do some work yourself on your car, you can pull the airbox and have someone run through the gear positions and watch the cables do the shifting on top of the transmission. Then you can see if manipulating them right there on the transmission works better.
Ive nothing but one problem after the next with this car, very unreliable, very expensive to fix. I really have nothing good to say about it. Ill investigate the shift wires, but Im thinking it may be related to the master cylinder now. Everything else is new. Probably a few more hundred bucks for something that should cost a fraction of what it does. Overpriced junk.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
There is a known issue when the clutch disk splines are not properly cleaned and greased when the old one is replaced that will cause the clutch will stick and create this kind of problem.

If the shop that was doing the work was also sloppy and brutal when doing the work, they could have damaged something to cause this issue too.

If you paid a shop to fix your clutch and its not working right, its their responsibility to make it right, not give you a broken car back after you paid them money to make it work right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a known issue when the clutch disk splines are not properly cleaned and greased when the old one is replaced that will cause the clutch will stick and create this kind of problem.

If the shop that was doing the work was also sloppy and brutal when doing the work, they could have damaged something to cause this issue too.

If you paid a shop to fix your clutch and its not working right, its their responsibility to make it right, not give you a broken car back after you paid them money to make it work right.
My friend was just displaced from his job when the shop he ran closed. He was the service manager, 25+ years working on foreigen and domestic vehicles. He knows his stuff. I contracted him to do the work for me. Apparently he must have missed something which totally sucks. Im gonna have to have a talk with him.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Then your friend should make it right its that simple, when my father was fixing cars on the side 30+ years all makes had a loyal clientele. If he made a mistake that induce a problem not present he fixed it out of his own pocket. Hopefully your friend will do the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then your friend should make it right its that simple, when my father was fixing cars on the side 30+ years all makes had a loyal clientele. If he made a mistake that induce a problem not present he fixed it out of his own pocket. Hopefully your friend will do the same.
Unfortunately hes not willing to fix it, so I guess Im screwed.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
What a hack, but not uncommon. There's nothing like forking over a lot of money to someone to **** up your car under the guise of repairs.

Changing a clutch on the R isn't an easy job so he rather screw you over than do the additional work to right his wrong.

If he isn't going to try to fix this, try doing some hard launches and other clutch engagements on the car and someone who can bleed the slave cylinder again to rule out a boogered up disk or air filled clutch actuator to see if it can be rectified that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts