SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time upgrading my R and im trying to way my options in regards to a downpipe or an exhaust system. Now my question is, which upgrade will give the most bang for your buck in terms of performance and sound? Is the "exhaust system" or everything past the downpipe just a sound enhancer or does installing a new ipd or elevate exhaust actually create more usable power? I know a larger downpipe allows the turbo to spool faster and creates less back pressure so then does the exhaust system become the limiting factor in terms of back pressure and the ability for the turbo to spool. Furthermore, I am also thinking of tuning my car to run on 93 octane or in other words a custom tune. So would a tune and new downpipe be the best bang for your buck or tune and exhaust system?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who makes that? Also, does it include a down-pipe or is everything past the catalytic converter? I actually just looked at MN - TURBOR video and the sound is amazing! However, do you think a down-pipe or an exhaust system would be the first performance mod?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Who makes that? Also, does it include a down-pipe or is everything past the catalytic converter? I actually just looked at MN - TURBOR video and the sound is amazing! However, do you think a down-pipe or an exhaust system would be the first performance mod?
I've always been told downpipe first, exhaust second. If you tune it, you will also want to help the car breath on the other end too. I have had success with IPD's Air Management System (AMS). If you are going for sound, the AMS plus a hood liner removal yields an awesome diverter valve sound. I prefer that over an exhaust tone any day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I really do not care about the sound. I feel the unique nature of a five cylinder engine give the R a very throaty sound. Furthermore, I like the subdued nature of the R or a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. My main priority is getting the biggest gain in performance for the buck.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Downpipe will give you the results you desire. The exhaust will only gain you about 10 horsepower and about same torque; realistically, a good downpipe and just cut and remove your stock resonator (for deeper sound effect) and you're good to go there.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Personally, I really do not care about the sound. I feel the unique nature of a five cylinder engine give the R a very throaty sound. Furthermore, I like the subdued nature of the R or a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. My main priority is getting the biggest gain in performance for the buck.
I did an IPD dp, tune and EST exhaust. While the DP will help the car breath a little better...I didn't notice any change in the car. Once I put the exhaust on the car it had more get up and go from a stop. If you can find a used or lower cost DP go for it but I say exhaust first.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?179864-.-EuroSport-Tuning-Exhaust-Sale

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree, the DP will give you better results for the buck, I'll be getting a OBX DP real soon. In your case I would go with the DP first and if you have not already done so a resonator delete too, it will sound much nicer! Then maybe move onto a EST Sport exhaust or the IPD exhaust. Better Intake system (AMS, IPD R Kelly, EST sport filter etc), FMIC and Tune will also help!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You better jump on that cat back system before I decide to go the custom route! Good deal there.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Now my question is, which upgrade will give the most bang for your buck in terms of performance and sound?
Im confused. In your original post didn't you say you were going for performance AND sound? Then your next post you claim you don't care about sound?

·
Registered
753 Posts
+1 on Exhaust first.
If you get DP you must get a stage II tune otherwise the car is running too rich.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are very few exhaust videos that actually sound like it would in person. You have to have a good mic, good speakers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
In regards to the resonator, the car hardly sounds any different without it. Startup and WOT are the only times you will hear a difference, and even then, it is minimal.

As for a downpipe without a tune, you will run rich, but I believe it is fine.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hey Yankee, I can truly appreciate being new to the Volvo performance scene and not knowing where to start. And to make things worse, I didn't know one brand from another or what upgrades would give me what results. But I did do quite a bit of hotrodding in my younger years and understood the process.

So I have taken the more expensive but proven route of dyno testing my car after each upgrade so I would know how much power each piece added. And here's what I can share with you. Based on my dyno logs the most bang for your buck will come from a downpipe, air intake system with upgraded air filter and a stage 2 tune ECU upgrade. Any upgrades after that start to provide diminishing returns and so won't provide as noticeable increase in performance. Keep in mind that doing the downpipe or the air intake or the tune by itself won't seem worth it. But doing all 3 will feel like a totally different car.

As far as where to purchase from, keep your life simple and stick to the well established vendors like Viva and EST that are actively involved in supporting the Volvo community. Do yourself and favor and just pick one vendor and do all 3. The differences in performance from vendor to vendor are too small to worry about.

VIVA: http://www.vivaperformance.com/s60r-v70r-2004-2007/
EuroSport Tuning (EST): http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/swedespeed.php

1 - 20 of 23 Posts