SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new car had pre-existing scratches. The dealer also saw those before I picked up the car and agreed to fix them. Of course, now they say they'd only do touch ups. Honestly, it is not big, but they are deep. A part of me thinks that I'd rather not have the panels repainted just for this chip which may ruin the factory paint more but another part of me thinks that let's get this done correctly. How would you handle these scratches, and would you push for more than touch ups? How would acceptable touch ups look?

Sadly, I also noticed a chip in the brake caliper that I did not document with the dealer and of course the dealer wouldn't fix it. Any tips on what to do with it myself? Or should I just leave it as is.

I am sure in a couple years I'd care less but forgive me I am still in my honeymoon period with this car.

Water Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Window Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Automotive exterior
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I'd be content with just touch up paint, but I'd also understand someone rejecting the car because of the scratches. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place... doing it "right" cost alot of money... and it's not exactly hard for them to just sell it to someone else. Talking about what the fix would be was the important missed step by both parties. At the end of the day, it's your car to decide. But cars aren't perfect when delivered, and certainly they get less perfect every day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’d vote touchup but probably at a good local bodyshop vs the dealer. Its going to be very hard (if not impossible) to match the metallic silver color based on the differences in factory application technique and the repair but what you want is the touchup to be the same height as the surrounding paint.

Reactions: swroooxr

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I'd be fine with touch-up but I'm not super picky. Maybe they have a detailer who does this work for them.

The caliper one I wouldn't even bother with - you'll get more in time.

Reactions: swroooxr

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yep, touch up, wet sand smooth, buff. If you like your car and drive it, they won't be the last, just make them look so someone has to search for them.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
I'd be content with just touch up paint, but I'd also understand someone rejecting the car because of the scratches. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place... doing it "right" cost alot of money... and it's not exactly hard for them to just sell it to someone else. Talking about what the fix would be was the important missed step by both parties. At the end of the day, it's your car to decide. But cars aren't perfect when delivered, and certainly they get less perfect every day.
I've always heard that a lot of cars need some minor touch up upon delivery - scratches, pitting, etc. So doesn't surprise me the OP's car wasn't delivered cosmetically perfect. The things pictures are 100% from rock / debris. His car is going to get this same type of damage unless he has the entire vehicle wrapped.

How I would handle this? Get the dealer to have those small areas touched up and blended. Wouldn't be hard for their body shop guys to repair those areas. Call it a day, wait a month, and watch as mother nature works it magic pitting and chipping those same areas through daily use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My neighbor is very much into detailing cars. He told me that he spent 35+ hours polishing out scratches on a new car that came directly from the dealer.

After my son got his first car and we spent some time doing touch up work, he asked me how he could avoid getting more scratches in the future. I told him the only way to achieve that was to park it in his bedroom and never move it again...

I'd say let the dealer do some touch up and blend it in, then forget about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts