SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also, do you know who the IIHS is?

Do you know who the NHTSA is?

Can you tell me the difference?

One is run (and funded) by a consortium of insurance companies, and one is run by a federal agency out of an oath to providing the American consumer protection against the manufacturer.

Which one would you trust? Hint, I linked you to the quantitative data generated by the one run by the government.
Rico I never said you called me an idiot .I was not talking about you. as i said i understand where you coming from.:)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I never said that every single oldsmobile was safe .. I only talking about Aurora and Intrigue. Alero is death trap so is Cutless and the Silhouette(most of them were biuild on reg chevy platform and as i said before older cars sucked on head and neck protection . If you see Avalon and Aurora did very well . And I guess this statement from safety commission is a lie as well."Aurora's unibody construction broke GM's testing machine.[10] A frame-crusher otherwise used to test stronger truck frames had to be used instead, with the car exceeding federal standards for passenger cars by two times."

·
Registered
79 Posts
And I guess this statement from safety commission is a lie as well."Aurora's unibody construction broke GM's testing machine.[10]"
According to Wikipedia, this quote is from the brochure GM produced themselves for the 1994 Aurora, you've been talking about not trusting the government studies but you trust a marketing statement from the manufacturer themselves?

A frame-crusher otherwise used to test stronger truck frames had to be used instead, with the car exceeding federal standards for passenger cars by two times."
And this is just an unsupported line of text in the same Wikipedia article with no source reference, it could literally have been written by you.

Despite being presented with compelling objective evidence for the benefits of modern material science and impact analysis in modern car safety, you still seem to think the pinnacle of engineering excellence was the 1994 Oldsmobile Aurora?

·
Registered
731 Posts
According to Wikipedia, this quote is from the brochure GM produced themselves for the 1994 Aurora, you've been talking about not trusting the government studies but you trust a marketing statement from the manufacturer themselves?

And this is just an unsupported line of text in the same Wikipedia article with no source reference, it could literally have been written by you.

Despite being presented with compelling objective evidence for the benefits of modern material science and impact analysis in modern car safety, you still seem to think the pinnacle of engineering excellence was the 1994 Oldsmobile Aurora?
I trust What i see not what is written . No i dont think its pinnacle but i know that its is even now this car will be safer than many on the road. When i saw people died with my own eyes driving back in day Hondas BMWs Toyotas . I lost some friends and its not fun. And i seen how tons of people walk out with no scratch with Exactly same or bigger accidents on Buick Regal on Aurora and esp Volvos . Thats all i need to see . Its funny how you ignoring what i said about Honda Toyota etc failed the frontal driver side offset crash test instead of just full front crash (when before that test they had 5 star rating) . How they just did one side after they were told to fix it not 2 sides. When GM back in day didn't had to be told 2x on Aurora or Regal park avenue etc( they did their testing just like volvo). Whats in Crash test and whats in Real life is not the same and in real life those cars did much better than some civic . SO you can say w.e you want if you saw people died people you know because JAP or European cars except volvo decided to cheap out. Thats statement was on the news and in news papers as well and real world shows the statement being true.

Rico Again i do understand everything you say but in perfect world 100% this is true but not in real world even if everything u wrote is 90% true not taking those 10% chance by buying KIA or Honda etc.

·
Registered
695 Posts
He just makes silly statements and then when called out on them, instead of admitting he may be wrong, he doubles down. He did it in his reply to me about airbags. He said airbags don't work when the seatbelt isn't buckled. I called him out on a dumb statement. Rather than admit his mistake, he googled "Will airbags work without seat belt?" and found this page.
https://www.safetyrestore.com/blog/will-airbag-work-without-seat-belt
He then posted this quote:
"Some automotive manufacturers program vehicles’ ECUs to make a split-second decision whether or not to deploy the airbags to prevent injury to the occupant’s head. Therefore, for some models and automotive manufactures, seat belts certainly are required to be fastened for the airbags to operate correctly."
He left off the link in his post, probably because the VERY NEXT LINE says:
"However, in many vehicles, the airbags will still deploy whether or not an occupant is fastened by a safety belt."
He omitted that part simply because he did not want to admit his original claim was factually incorrect.

·
Registered
731 Posts
He just makes silly statements and then when called out on them, instead of admitting he may be wrong, he doubles down. He did it in his reply to me about airbags. He said airbags don't work when the seatbelt isn't buckled. I called him out on a dumb statement. Rather than admit his mistake, he googled "Will airbags work without seat belt?" and found this page.
https://www.safetyrestore.com/blog/will-airbag-work-without-seat-belt
He then posted this quote:
"Some automotive manufacturers program vehicles’ ECUs to make a split-second decision whether or not to deploy the airbags to prevent injury to the occupant’s head. Therefore, for some models and automotive manufactures, seat belts certainly are required to be fastened for the airbags to operate correctly."
He left off the link in his post, probably because the VERY NEXT LINE says:
"However, in many vehicles, the airbags will still deploy whether or not an occupant is fastened by a safety belt."
He omitted that part simply because he did not want to admit his original claim was factually incorrect.
SO if KIA HONDA TOYOTA Hyundai etc is so safe why you driving a volvo? as it was being said KIA 2x better and safer than volvo and more reliable ? buy 2015 civc why not?. Plus that 2006 cadi that plowed in to me and than hit a tree and his airbags didnt deploy you will say oh it was cars fault probably a defect ? doesn't matter that they guy admitted not wearing the seatbelt . i am done . When you get exp what i did you will talk differently but than it might be to late .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Kia is a far more reliable car than Volvo. Volvo is on the JD Power list of LEAST reliable vehicles right along with Jaguar and Land Rover. Per Car and Driver, Kia's parent company, Hyundai, was rated the safest car brand of 2020 with Volvo coming in second. Kia was 7th on the list and within a 3/10ths of a point of the Volvo (an basically every other car on the list).

If it were me and I was buying my kid a car for college, it certainly wouldn't be a newer Volvo. He'd be really happy with whatever 6 year old Corolla I could find available on Craigslist.
Manufacturers were caught not long ago trying to "better their crash test results" by reinforcing "certain impact zones" on vehicles submitted for testing. I.E. Small Overlap Crash Tests. Volvo has never done this, because they have faith in their vehicles.

None the less, Volvo uses boron steel in their frames to protect drivers from injury in likely impact zones. Along with SIPS technology to reduce injury in a crash. I'll put my life and trust in a Volvo any day of the week.

http://www.boronextrication.com/2011/08/16/2012-volvo-s60-body-structure/

http://www.boronextrication.com/tag/volvo/

CHEATING ON CRASH TESTS:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/iihs-finds-out-that-certain-automakers-cheat-in-the-small-overlap-crash-test-108813.html

http://bestride.com/news/safety-and-recalls/safety-that-top-safety-pick-crossover-may-not-be-as-safe-as-you-think

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but manufacturers were caught not long ago trying to "better their crash test results" by reinforcing test cars in impact zones to perform better. Volvo has never done this, because they have faith in their vehicles. It's not to say Kia participated, because I can't seem to find the article about this problem.

EDIT: You found the articles as I was typing...

I'm sure all of that is true. As are the following.

Not a lot of Volvos on this list....

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2020?tspPlusOnly#award-winners

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2020/all/volvo#award-winners

·
Registered
304 Posts
Geez folks, we get it - Volvos make safe cars. That is not in dispute. The relevance to the OP, in case anyone forgot, is whether an early model year S60 is a suitable car for a college student. Let me also just say that Kias and Hondas and Toyotas are not death traps and that Volvos are not the end-all and be-all when it comes to vehicle safety.

·
Administrator
55,859 Posts
There is an Off-topic subforum if folks want to deep dive on debating Safety and Safety stats. Let's get back to the OP original ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Geez folks, we get it - Volvos make safe cars. That is not in dispute. The relevance to the OP, in case anyone forgot, is whether an early model year S60 is a suitable car for a college student. Let me also just say that Kias and Hondas and Toyotas are not death traps and that Volvos are not the end-all and be-all when it comes to vehicle safety.
Long story short, we've all given OP a baseline. If OP wanted a Kia, Honda, Toyota, etc he'd of gone to their forum. Clearly OP's preference is a Vovlo for GOOD REASON!

·
Registered
216 Posts
To the OP, if you are still actually reading this far. I assume you are younger than most on this forum since you are talking about going off to college. Seeing as you are going to college, here are a few key takeaways (from this thread that spiraled out of control) that you should keep in mind.

1. Always be open to hearing other people’s thoughts/opinions/experiences on a subject, ESPECIALLY if they disagree with you. Try to be objective and be willing to accept that what you believe to be true can always change based on new information. With the internet these days, it is easy to put yourself in an “echo chamber” where everything you choose to read or watch only reinforces what you want to be true.

2. Even if you don’t agree with someone’s logic or thought process, it is useful to understand WHY they think the way they do and learn something from it.

3. Never take anything at face value. Always question the source of your information. Question their motives. Do they have incentive to present the information in a certain way that benefits them? Facts are facts, but they are open to interpretation. Different people can draw wildly different conclusions from the same set of facts. (Google: Confirmation Bias)

4. Be wary of random quotes that are removed from the context in which they were originally presented.

5. Be willing to accept the fact that you cannot always change someone’s mind with a logical argument. In some cases, the more facts you present that counter someone’s argument the more they will cling to that viewpoint.

6. Telling someone that their firsthand experience is somehow invalid based on your firsthand experience will shut off both sides from each other. Any debate from that point on is a wasted effort.

7. Some people will argue for the sake of argument. You cannot control someone’s behavior, but you can control how you react to it. Sometimes it is just best to save your energy for something more worthwhile.

In life you will encounter all sorts of people with wildly varying beliefs and experiences. In some cases, these people will be family members, bosses, colleagues, professors, friends. The key to being successful in the real world is learning to peacefully co-exist and work with these people, despite your differences.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well put budleach!

The key to being successful in the real world is learning to peacefully co-exist and work with these people, despite your differences.
This last sentence is about the only think I view differently - "being successful" according to your own self may not require that you "peacefully co-exist" with others. I'd rather stand for what I believe than focus on peacefully co-existing. If I were to do that, I'd be either lying to myself or others; neither of which is right.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This last sentence is about the only think I view differently - "being successful" according to your own self may not require that you "peacefully co-exist" with others. I'd rather stand for what I believe than focus on peacefully co-existing. If I were to do that, I'd be either lying to myself or others; neither of which is right.
There is also the aspect of picking your battles, though. There are some battles worth fighting and taking a strong stand for, and others which are just not worth the effort or are inconsequential in the grand scheme. You have to decide which battles are which, of course.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well put budleach!

Fair enough, everyone has their own definition of success.

I wasn't suggesting lying to yourself or others, or forfeiting your beliefs. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it is easy enough to agree to disagree and continue on co-existing with someone. Other times you need to take a stand and cut certain people out of your life without hesitation.

For instance, if I see someone hurt an innocent child or defenseless animal, there is no tolerating that. I would consider anything short of immediate action on my part to be a failure.

If someone chooses to believe the earth is flat, or that aliens have visited earth, or chooses to believe in god, or chooses to believe god doesn't exist, I don't really care since I see no harm in it. In fact, I find it mildly entertaining to probe further and find out why they choose to believe what they believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As someone in college myself, I highly recommend getting the newish 2018 model S60s or if possible, a CPO XC60. I have an XC60 T6 Inscription myself and it is a joy to own in college. It's safe, comfortable, fast, and stylish (in my opinion that is!). And the maintenance issue isn't that bad actually, I'm only expecting around a 500-600ish bill for my next dealer service (the pads might need to go with another rotation, alignment, and balance, since roads near me are notoriously filled with potholes and bumps). But nonetheless, I highly recommend an either SPA platform S60 or XC60 that's an CPO.

Edit: Oops, sleep deprivation has struck me once again. I just realized that this was the S60 side of Sweedespeed. Disregard what I said about the XC60 and go for the T6 S60 definitely. I had a T6 and T5 S60 loaner and I definitely found that the T5 S60 lacked the punch of the T6 which I think transforms the car entirely.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Fair enough, everyone has their own definition of success.

I wasn't suggesting lying to yourself or others, or forfeiting your beliefs. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it is easy enough to agree to disagree and continue on co-existing with someone. Other times you need to take a stand and cut certain people out of your life without hesitation.

For instance, if I see someone hurt an innocent child or defenseless animal, there is no tolerating that. I would consider a anything short of immediate action on my part to be a failure.

If someone chooses to believe the earth is flat, or that aliens have visited earth, or chooses to believe in god, or chooses to believe god doesn't exist, I don't really care since I see no harm in it. In fact, I find it mildly entertaining to probe further and find out why they choose to believe what they believe.
Hold your horses! You mean my favorite 1980s show wasn't factually based? (sarcasm).

alfjpg.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
As someone in college myself, I highly recommend getting the newish 2018 model S60s or if possible, a CPO XC60. I have an XC60 T6 Inscription myself and it is a joy to own in college. It's safe, comfortable, fast, and stylish (in my opinion that is!). And the maintenance issue isn't that bad actually, I'm only expecting around a 500-600ish bill for my next dealer service (the pads might need to go with another rotation, alignment, and balance, since roads near me are notoriously filled with potholes and bumps). But nonetheless, I highly recommend an either SPA platform S60 or XC60 that's an CPO.

Edit: Oops, sleep deprivation has struck me once again. I just realized that this was the S60 side of Sweedespeed. Disregard what I said about the XC60 and go for the T6 S60 definitely. I had a T6 and T5 S60 loaner and I definitely found that the T5 S60 lacked the punch of the T6 which I think transforms the car entirely.
But only if the T6 S60 is the original SI6 which only was produced a few years !

I think the newer T6 is a revamped 4 cylinder. Or maybe I'm now confused too due to my recent sleep deprivation struggles as well.

Hey MyVolvoS60 what was your favorite 80s show ? During those times I was hooked on Linda Evans and the show Dynasty. It appears from her bio she married Yanni.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
As an S60 owner, I’d recommend against an S60 in college for the primary reason that it has horrible cargo capacity due to the swoopy roofline, confined cabin, and high trunk floor with a smallish trunk opening. It’s ok for carrying bags of groceries but terrible for the sorts of bulky items you’ll want to carry. An XC60 or XC70 or just about any hatchback or wagon would be a far better choice given all the stuff you’ll be carrying, either on moving day or doing cool Active Lifestyle collegey stuff. As a homeowner I constantly lament my inability to carry anything big and boxy in my car like a box of furniture I’d want to assemble at home, stuff that would easily be swallowed by a hatchback or wagon.

If I were in your position I’d strongly consider looking at a MK6 or MK7 Golf or GTI which would be fun, safe, and incredibly practical while also reliable, good on gas, and cheap to own. A carefully bought MKV could be an option, too. I had a 2008 GTI for 6 years, bought new and then extensively modified and driven hard for 144k miles and it was the best car I’ve owned so far. Also a Jetta Sportwagon or Alltrak would be tremendously practical and cool at school.

·
Registered
247 Posts
But only if the T6 S60 is the original SI6 which only was produced a few years !

I think the newer T6 is a revamped 4 cylinder. Or maybe I'm now confused too due to my recent sleep deprivation struggles as well.

Hey MyVolvoS60 what was your favorite 80s show ? During those times I was hooked on Linda Evans and the show Dynasty. It appears from her bio she married Yanni.
You are right the newer T6 is a 4 cylinder. Specifically, a 2.0L inline 4 that is turbocharged AND supercharged.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts