SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so if I were to get a newer car for college possibly! What do u recommend I really lovvvvvvvveeeee Volvo’s they’re so safe and gorgeous. What s60s year mode do y’all recommend also are Hyundai’s good.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hey guys so if I were to get a newer car for college possibly! What do u recommend I really lovvvvvvvveeeee Volvo’s they’re so safe and gorgeous. What s60s year mode do y’all recommend also are Hyundai’s good.
Where do you live? Do you need AWD? FWD? I'd recommend anything post 2016 (late edition) that doesn't have an engine in the affected model range for consumption issues. You could probably pick up a 2017 Platinum S60 for a pretty reasonable price now that it's several generations old. And could probably score a CPO with at least a yr or two left on warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry that this isn't a response to your question but: unless you're from money I'd recommend not having a car in college. The average american lives WAY above their means and thus has a ton of debt. A car usually isn't needed in college save for specific circumstances. If you do need a car I'd get a 5-10 yr old mainstream car like a camry or corolla. Buicks have good reliability in general and are relatively cheap to operate.

To be honest I feel kind of poor compared to a lot of cats since I had a cheap bike, walked, or used the bus in college. My car in professional school was a 5,000 compact car and I only got a used S60 once I got a job in pretty much the highest paid profession in the US.

Edit: typo

A Hyundai sonata or kia optima can be relatively cheap to operate and they tend to be reliable also

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just got an estimate of $5149 for nine dollars in repairs on my 2012 Volvo S 60 , I live in Fairhope Alabama so it’s mostly hot down here and rainy, I will be going to Tuskegee al for college

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Sorry that this isn't a response to your question but: unless you're from money I'd recommend not having a car in college. The average american lives WAY above their means and thus has a ton of debt. A car usually isn't needed in college save for specific circumstances. If you do need a car I'd get a 5-10 yr old mainstream car like a camry or corolla. Buicks have good reliability in general and are relatively cheap to operate.

To be honest I feel kind of poor compared to a lot of cats since I had a cheap bike, walked, or used the bus in college. My car in professional school was a 5,000 compact car and I only got a used S60 once I got a job in pretty much the highest paid profession in the US.

A Hyundai sonata or kia optima can be relatively cheap to operate and they tend to be reliable also
Highest paid profession (Doctor? Lawyer?) and you won't splurge on a newer s60?

General FYI: Living on Campus, many colleges won't allow Freshman to have a vehicle. However, not everyone lives on campus. ~20 yrs ago, I commuted 30 miles each way to college. No way a Bus would have covered that route. Not everyone lives on campus. Plenty of college kids do go to school locally and opt to not live on campus.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
We just got an estimate of $5149 for nine dollars in repairs on my 2012 Volvo S 60 , I live in Fairhope Alabama so it’s mostly hot down here and rainy, I will be going to Tuskegee al for college
1. Are you going to school locally or have you moved to attend a college?
2. Will you be living on campus or commuting?

Like my response above, what and/or if you should own a car really depends upon your circumstances. If you have to commute to campus, then buses aren't always an option. Buses don't tend to service all areas, can take hours to go short distances, etc. However, if you will be residing on campus, do remember many college forbid freshman from owning a car. Should this pertain to you.

Ultimately, whether a car is a luxury or necessity depends upon your circumstances.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Highest paid profession (Doctor? Lawyer?) and you won't splurge on a newer s60?

General FYI: Living on Campus, many colleges won't allow Freshman to have a vehicle. However, not everyone lives on campus. ~20 yrs ago, I commuted 30 miles each way to college. No way a Bus would have covered that route. Not everyone lives on campus. Plenty of college kids do go to school locally and opt to not live on campus.
Mean lawyer income is like 125k a yr but is bimodal with many lawyers only making 70-80k gross even with 3 yrs of professional education and heavy loans. Big wig law can make 200-500k. I've had to hire lawyers who charge 500 an hr before expenses which is more than what I make per hr.

Physician income is considerably higher on average albeit with many more yrs of training and somewhat more debt.

I have a 2016 S60 msrp 44k and am very happy with it. I got it used CPO for a solid price. I don't like the new volvo's with the touchacreens. I know a ton of people making 40k with nicer cars than me.

And there are people making more money than me with cheaper cars.

Regardless, an 18 yr old would likely be well--served in having a cheaper car and, if possible, to not have a car at all during college.

I googled OP's college and it's 19k a yr just for tuition. If I were him/her I'd try to get a high paid career (engineering, health care, tech) or get a successful business but everybody spends money as they wish. If somebody comes from money then they can theoretically afford a 35-50k car in college. I've seen college students with 50-100k cars and who went to 25k a yr private high schools.

I really like value and am considering a heavily discounted kia stinger, genesis g80, or even kia k900. G70 is in the running too. If Volvo got rid of the touchscreens I'd consider another Volvo too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Mean lawyer income is like 125k a yr but is bimodal with many lawyers only making 70-80k gross even with 3 yrs of professional education and heavy loans. Big wig law can make 200-500k. I've had to hire lawyers who charge 500 an hr before expenses which is more than what I make per hr.

Physician income is considerably higher on average albeit with many more yrs of training and somewhat more debt.
So are you a lawyer or physician? My Cousin is an immigration lawyer. Said Lawyers come out of law school with huge debt, which is one of the things you're questioned about when being admitted to the bar. She's just starting out, trying to build a law practice, and doing work for others, too. So ya, no one is alluding to the fact that lawyers are rich by any means. Plenty are, but those are ones that I am sure have been at the trade quite a while.

I have a 2016 S60 msrp 44k and am very happy with it. I got it used CPO for a solid price. I don't like the new volvo's with the touchacreens. I know a ton of people making 40k with nicer cars than me.
Well that's not an older used Volvo by any means. I drive a 15.5 FWD S60 CPO I got with 2K miles as Demo / Loaner. Was $30K since it was relatively new. Only regret is lack of AWD. Nokian Hakka's in the winter to compensate. Old 7r / 100K CPO just spent around $6,000 on Piston Ring Job + Breather Box for oil consumption. And then New Thermostat + ECM.

I disagree some. The Volvo proprietary GPS is "SO SO". Sufficient but not great. It would be nice to have a newer S60 with a touch screen and Android Auto Support. Google Maps and/or Waze are far superior to Volvo's Navigational System. Everything else is OK by my books.

Regardless, an 18 yr old would likely be well--served in having a cheaper car and, if possible, to not have a car at all during college.
18 Yr old Kids = New and Crappy Drivers. Age 16-24 Males especially are at the highest risk for accidents and most costly to insure. Safety is paramount for these new drivers.

I googled OP's college and it's 19k a yr just for tuition. If I were him/her I'd try to get a high paid career (engineering, health care, tech) or get a successful business but everybody spends money as they wish. If somebody comes from money then they can theoretically afford a 35-50k car in college. I've seen college students with 50-100k cars and who went to 25k a yr private high schools.
I drove a 1999 (was bought in 1998) Toyota Corolla as my first car for years. Before getting a hand me down Volvo from a family friend which hooked me on the Volvo Brand. Car survived a horrific accident in which a family member was the driver, after having borrowed my car. Bought current then "New" Demo / Loaner thereafter.

Again, safety is a priority. Maybe he doesn't need a "New" Volvo but a reliable mid 2000s. All depends upon Op and Op's family's financial situation. I had friends in High School with nicer cars than the staff drove. Most of these kids were "given" it and cared less what happened. Wasn't their money. So there's something said about giving your college kid a 100K car (Bad Parenting). Again, safety first, not flashy.

I really like value and am considering a heavily discounted kia stinger, genesis g80, or even kia k900. G70 is in the running too. If Volvo got rid of the touchscreens I'd consider another Volvo too.
I digress to my earlier point on safety. Not sure I'd want a new high risk driver in a kia....Sure they've improved over the years, but still, Kia isn't renowned for their build quality.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What are the repairs? If you've posted here, do you have a link?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bought my first Volvo my senior year of college in 2005. It was a 1994 850 turbo, it had between 150k-200k miles, and it cost $2,700. Therefore, I recommend getting a 2009 S60 with similar miles for around $4,000.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's crazy. You're in a bind. Take your Dad or close family member to a few local used car lots that have mechanics in house. Don't go alone as you're a kid. Whether or not they will agree to a trade in for your S60 plus a little extra cash from you (maybe $2000 to $3000) trade it in for anything they will agree to part with.

You're in a tough spot, no doubt. But there are mechanics in those lots the dealers use to make the repairs to problem cars and then sell them back to the public. Difference is they can take on the risk and can get parts for cheaper and perform the repairs your S60 needs for a fraction.

Good luck, let us know how things go. More important, focus on school and your career. Cars are just pieces of metal. I commuted to and from college too, I could not afford to live on campus. Back when I went to college from 1989 to 1993 tuition was only about $10,000..same college now costs over $50,000...that's the real problem these days...escalating college costs.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That's crazy. You're in a bind. Take your Dad or close family member to a few local used car lots that have mechanics in house. Don't go alone as you're a kid. Whether or not they will agree to a trade in for your S60 plus a little extra cash from you (maybe $2000 to $3000) trade it in for anything they will agree to part with.

You're in a tough spot, no doubt. But there are mechanics in those lots the dealers use to make the repairs to problem cars and then sell them back to the public. Difference is they can take on the risk and can get parts for cheaper and perform the repairs your S60 needs for a fraction.

Good luck, let us know how things go. More important, focus on school and your career. Cars are just pieces of metal. I commuted to and from college too, I could not afford to live on campus. Back when I went to college from 1989 to 1993 tuition was only about $10,000..same college now costs over $50,000...that's the real problem these days...escalating college costs.
The cost of college has far surpassed inflationary rates. Your $10,000 college in 1989 would be around $21,000-$21,500 in today's money. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

And yet, here we are in 2020 and it's $50,000. It's no wonder college kids (including myself at the time) walk away with massive debts. Tuition costs are outrageous.

Solid advice to OP.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So are you a lawyer or physician? My Cousin is an immigration lawyer. Said Lawyers come out of law school with huge debt, which is one of the things you're questioned about when being admitted to the bar. She's just starting out, trying to build a law practice, and doing work for others, too. So ya, no one is alluding to the fact that lawyers are rich by any means. Plenty are, but those are ones that I am sure have been at the trade quite a while.

Well that's not an older used Volvo by any means. I drive a 15.5 FWD S60 CPO I got with 2K miles as Demo / Loaner. Was $30K since it was relatively new. Only regret is lack of AWD. Nokian Hakka's in the winter to compensate. Old 7r / 100K CPO just spent around $6,000 on Piston Ring Job + Breather Box for oil consumption. And then New Thermostat + ECM.

I disagree some. The Volvo proprietary GPS is "SO SO". Sufficient but not great. It would be nice to have a newer S60 with a touch screen and Android Auto Support. Google Maps and/or Waze are far superior to Volvo's Navigational System. Everything else is OK by my books.

18 Yr old Kids = New and Crappy Drivers. Age 16-24 Males especially are at the highest risk for accidents and most costly to insure. Safety is paramount for these new drivers.

I drove a 1999 (was bought in 1998) Toyota Corolla as my first car for years. Before getting a hand me down Volvo from a family friend which hooked me on the Volvo Brand. Car survived a horrific accident in which a family member was the driver, after having borrowed my car. Bought current then "New" Demo / Loaner thereafter.

Again, safety is a priority. Maybe he doesn't need a "New" Volvo but a reliable mid 2000s. All depends upon Op and Op's family's financial situation. I had friends in High School with nicer cars than the staff drove. Most of these kids were "given" it and cared less what happened. Wasn't their money. So there's something said about giving your college kid a 100K car (Bad Parenting). Again, safety first, not flashy.

I digress to my earlier point on safety. Not sure I'd want a new high risk driver in a kia....Sure they've improved over the years, but still, Kia isn't renowned for their build quality.
Kia is a far more reliable car than Volvo. Volvo is on the JD Power list of LEAST reliable vehicles right along with Jaguar and Land Rover. Per Car and Driver, Kia's parent company, Hyundai, was rated the safest car brand of 2020 with Volvo coming in second. Kia was 7th on the list and within a 3/10ths of a point of the Volvo (an basically every other car on the list).

If it were me and I was buying my kid a car for college, it certainly wouldn't be a newer Volvo. He'd be really happy with whatever 6 year old Corolla I could find available on Craigslist.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The cost of college has far surpassed inflationary rates. Your $10,000 college in 1989 would be around $21,000-$21,500 in today's money. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

And yet, here we are in 2020 and it's $50,000. It's no wonder college kids (including myself at the time) walk away with massive debts. Tuition costs are outrageous.

Solid advice to OP.
$10,000 was after grants, financial aid and a small scholarship. I was lucky to get accepted where I went at a half priced tuition. Living on campus would of ballooned it up so I commuted. Still, not the same experience. I'd say it's worth it for today's kids to live on campus, live it up a little. I was way too serious for my own good looking back. Coming from a hard nosed blue collar working family still made me appreciate the simple things while I was there. Mingling with the rich kids, a beautiful campus, nice looking girls, great professors. It was the time of my life that would of been greater living on campus. That's the problem with being budget minded.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Kia is a far more reliable car than Volvo. Volvo is on the JD Power list of LEAST reliable vehicles right along with Jaguar and Land Rover. Per Car and Driver, Kia's parent company, Hyundai, was rated the safest car brand of 2020 with Volvo coming in second. Kia was 7th on the list and within a 3/10ths of a point of the Volvo (an basically every other car on the list).

If it were me and I was buying my kid a car for college, it certainly wouldn't be a newer Volvo. He'd be really happy with whatever 6 year old Corolla I could find available on Craigslist.
Well if you get in an accident in KIA you are DEAD they can write w.e they want that KIA has 5 star crash ratings but i see tons of accidents with them esp in Brooklyn NY and its not fun to watch. I rather buy 97-2004 buick or Oldsmobile or cadi or even 2005-2010 volvo than any of those plastic cars for my son. When i was growing up i seen and knew to many ppl who drove Maxima's or Altima's and BMW 3 series and 6 of them died after the accident with the pole . Unlike old buicks olds cadi that were build like a tank and can brake that pole in half with minimal damages.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kids should have bigger cars when first driving. I started out with Dad's 1988 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. My brother hit a 300-400 pound buck deer at about 80mph (with no time for braking) and we all survived on a late night trip to the Poconos off route 84. Reading on that '88 van now shows it only weighed 2900 pounds, the same weight as my current 2010 Scion tC. Our family hauler, the 2013 XC90 weighs about 4600 lbs and is very safe but we're giving our daughter our 2012 S60 T5 as a first car.

I'm not a fan of Asian cars safety either but use my Scion as a beater for financial reasons. But then I think how much safer I would be if I traded my Scion in for a Volvo C70 T5, lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well if you get in an accident in KIA you are DEAD they can write w.e they want that KIA has 5 star crash ratings but i see tons of accidents with them esp in Brooklyn NY and its not fun to watch. I rather buy 97-2004 buick or Oldsmobile or cadi or even 2005-2010 volvo than any of those plastic cars for my son. When i was growing up i seen and knew to many ppl who drove Maxima's or Altima's and BMW 3 series and 6 of them died after the accident with the pole . Unlike old buicks olds cadi that were build like a tank and can brake that pole in half with minimal damages.
New cars, regardless of manufacturer, are safer than old cars. You can pretend that is not true, but it is. I am not sure how Kia can be a top 10 safety pick with a 5 star rating and still be certain death, but okay.

·
Registered
731 Posts
New cars, regardless of manufacturer, are safer than old cars. You can pretend that is not true, but it is. I am not sure how Kia can be a top 10 safety pick with a 5 star rating and still be certain death, but okay.
Just because they said so doesn't make it true. Most new cars got 5 star because of self braking etc if truck plow in to you those extra "helpers" wont help you. Plus if KIA such wonderful car how come you never had one? My Friend was making a U-turn on his 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora on the yellow light on intersection while KIA SUV ran the red light and hit my friends Olds on the side . He called me to come by. When i came KIA SUV was total loss front was inside the car drivers airbag came on he end up in hospital . My friends OLDs had broken bumper and fog light and fender dented a little . He came out with no scratch nothing he spend 1k in repairs and he was back on the road . Thats how I know those 5 stars are BS. At list some people like @Highwayman knows that his Scion is not safe compare to Volvo. There is a reason for it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When i came KIA SUV was total loss front was inside the car drivers airbag came on he end up in hospital.
Without any information on whether or not the Kia's occupant(s) were injured and how, this doesn't tell us anything about how safe the car was. I'm not sure why you think it does.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just because they said so doesn't make it true. Most new cars got 5 star because of self braking etc if truck plow in to you those extra "helpers" wont help you. Plus if KIA such wonderful car how come you never had one? My Friend was making a U-turn on his 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora on the yellow light on intersection while KIA SUV ran the red light and hit my friends Olds on the side . He called me to come by. When i came KIA SUV was total loss front was inside the car drivers airbag came on he end up in hospital . My friends OLDs had broken bumper and fog light and fender dented a little . He came out with no scratch nothing he spend 1k in repairs and he was back on the road . Thats how I know those 5 stars are BS. At list some people like @Highwayman knows that his Scion is not safe compare to Volvo. There is a reason for it.
Inelastic deformation mechanisms through buckling, crushing induce energy absorption and deceleration akin to strain hardening elastic-plastic transitions in engineered materials. This induces less energy transfer into the occupant, leading to lower extent of physiological trauma. High strength, brittle (highly elastic) steels are put into the "cage" of the car to avoid deformation into the occupant. Impact padding is also designed with this same response, as per the image of the stress strain curve below.

Stress-strain-curve-for-a-typical-energy-absorbing-material.jpg

In your anecdotal situation above, this demonstrates everything worked as intended. The total loss of the front indicates the system worked as best as possible to keep the passenger in the Kia from receiving high accelerative loading beyond the critical human injury criteria (https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/rev_criteria_0.pdf). The system worked for your friend in his Aurora, the high strength cage kept him or her safe from excessive inward buckling into the cockpit.

The star ratings are for consumer consumption as a means to tell whether a car is meant to do its job to protect, the occupant. If you want to see the real quantitative data that goes into metrics that build to a common star rating, then you need to go into the PDF of the actual testing off of NHTSA to see what the end result really means.

Here is the NHTSA crash result for a 2012 S60 (http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/MEDIA/GetMedia.aspx?tstno=7577&index=1&database=V&type=R). Crash impact images are on page 43 onward (these would be total losses for auto insurance claim, BTW). Page 78 on is all Hybrid III dummy data and the accelerative loadings and linear displacement of each part of the dummy and how they measure up to the injury criterion. If the front did not crush like this, the loadings in the Hybrid III would be way above the thresholds, leading to possible trauma.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts