SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First time Volvo seeker and I just test drove a Red 2004 R with 92k today. It was incredible. I'm concerned about the high mileage though. Do you guys have any advice when looking at buying these cars and what I should be looking for? The clutch was just replaced this last week and I am assuming the timing belt will need to be changed out at 102k? Cosmetically, the car is in great shape and the engine is all original with no mods. I'm going to be checking out the CarFax but I really wanted your guys' opinion on this. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on maintenance in the upcoming years, however I do understand that with this type of car that could be inevitable. Basically, I just want someone to give it to me straight: Is this a good deal and should I take it?

NEED ANSWERS ASAP!!!

Keep in mind:

$11,700
New Clutch
Pioneer AVIC DVD/Navigation System with blutooth and integrated phone
Alignment Done last week
Tires bought about 20k Miles ago

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
If you plan on being a DIY'er it could be a good purchase. If not then you should be looking at other vehicles. One big cost I see coming your way is refreshing the suspension. Also the angle gear will need some love if it hasn't already.

Was the slave cylinder done at the same time as the clutch?? It should have been.

Do you have a complete list of service records??

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you don't do the work yourself, be prepared to spend $2-3500 within the next 6-12 months
It's that simple

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
^ struts, fluid changes, plugs, timing belt i'm assuming.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Lots of people do the timing belt early, check to see if it was already done. Usually a sticker will be in the expected area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to be getting all the CarFax today so I am hoping that the Slave cylinder was taken care of during the clutch replacement. Is it pretty normal for the clutch to go out on these cars before 100K? That seems pretty premature to me. Also, about how much is the angle gear and refreshing the suspension going to run? Is it possible to DIY? Mind you, I am not too car saavy, however I do pretty well with a manual. Although, I have yet to find a manual similar to the Haynes ones for the Volvo R.

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Please keep it coming. I just dont wanna get myself into maintenance bills that i can't handle.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
honestly, chances are if you are already worried about maintenance bills before even getting the car then the R probably isnt the car for you. There are a lot of big money repairs on this car and they can all strike fast.

Seems that the car you are looking at doesnt have any paperwork to back anything up. I wouldnt get a car without history

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Angle gear reseal $850
All shocks and struts $1500++++
T Belt and W pump $700
These are average dealer prices

1 - 11 of 11 Posts