SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, just looking for a little advice.

Ive been driving my 1998 v70 and 97 850's forever now and have done the whole motorswap manual tranny big turbo blah blah nitrous blah blha

Ive ruined a perfectly good car for low reliability high horsepower outputs. not a good combo for a daily driver....

Ive wanted a s60R since I had seen them come out, I was just to stubborn to admit it...

Heres the deal

I am in the market for a s60r I am in the Southern Caliufornia area..

What should I be looking out for? Ive heard the 05-07 models are perfered due to the angle gear breakage?

HAS TO BE A 6 speed, I will be driving the car hard!

Not looking to do anything crazy to the vehicle except a tune intake exhaust combo

Heres the questions

How reliable are these cars?

What should I be looking out for?

Can I get a sub 5 second 0-60 time consistently with bolt on mods? :cool:

I want a 1/4 mile car in the 12 second range daily driven is it possible with this one?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmm, just bolt on mods? hmm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At what power levels do the drivetrain crap out ? I know the motors are good for about 400-450 as long as the cylinder walls are kept in mind

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
A lot of things you're looking for contradict themselves. These cars don't get a good launch. They just bog, unless you want to do a clutch dump and risk premature collar sleeve failure. Sub 5 sec 0-60 may be attainable with serious mods. Like I said, the bog sort of kills the launch. After ~30 mph, these cars become pretty fast.

Reliable? If you drive it like you said you would, no. There are so many things that cost thousands to repair. Slave cylinder failure, collar sleeve/angle gear/struts/DEM/list goes on...

I hate to say it, but if you want something you can launch like a monster and pull 12 sec 1/4 mile times, go for an STI or an EVO. The R is far too heavy from all the luxury stuff. After all, it is a 3700lb car. It's a long distance cruiser and a highway racer :)

FYI, you can take on a stock STI after 60mph.

At what power levels do the drivetrain crap out ? I know the motors are good for about 400-450 as long as the cylinder walls are kept in mind
I don't think so, cuz the cylinder walls are far too thin. You'd need to sleeve it if you want to maintain reliability.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
A lot of things you're looking for contradict themselves. These cars don't get a good launch. They just bog, unless you want to do a clutch dump and risk premature collar sleeve failure. Sub 5 sec 0-60 may be attainable with serious mods. Like I said, the bog sort of kills the launch. After ~30 mph, these cars become pretty fast.

Reliable? If you drive it like you said you would, no. There are so many things that cost thousands to repair. Slave cylinder failure, collar sleeve/angle gear/struts/DEM/list goes on...

I hate to say it, but if you want something you can launch like a monster and pull 12 sec 1/4 mile times, go for an STI or an EVO. The R is far too heavy from all the luxury stuff. After all, it is a 3700lb car. It's a long distance cruiser and a highway racer :)

FYI, you can take on a stock STI after 60mph.

I don't think so, cuz the cylinder walls are far too thin. You'd need to sleeve it if you want to maintain reliability.
George's R puts out close to 450hp at the crank without sleeves.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Is there a write up on George's R ?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Longbeach

I Also have olde Volvos, a 98 T5 chiped and cat back and VERY built 2000XC with 303 K on it and a lot of fun as a DD The R is way more refined as you build to stage II. As stated it is a hwy car. After driving it to the folks tonight it is just a blast. From 70 + you will enjoy not being shaken and the power to pull from behind and pass.It just puts a smile on your face how much better the R delivers power and comfortable to cockpit is

·
Registered
206 Posts
he whats up guys. Im new here and figured id search around for a bit rather than make a new thread about the same question pretty much. i found this thread. my apologies if its a fairly old bump. anyway, im not new to the car game by far. but im in the market for a new Daily driver. and the S60R has caught my eye. Im a modder/fabricator in the industry, so reading the paper specs the R sounds like a good choice for a DD that will be fun and look good with minimal to no mods at all.

Anyway, my question is (outside the stuff that was blurted out above) what are your thoughts on these. reliability wise are there any known issues when the car is used as a DD and not going for all out power and setup for road course (my mazda handles that addition, lol). I have seem something brought up a few times on my searches...something about "collar sleeve/angle gear/struts/DEM". could someone please explain those mentioned things a bit better. this is my first time looking at volvos in general as a potential buyer. so just trying to familiarize myself with commonly mentioned parts and etc.

another question, i saw someone mention the S60R is a 3700lbs car. is that true? because multiple sources have it listed as between 2200-2450lbs or so. im assuming the range depends on trim and options its equipped with. but what is the actual wieght of this car out the box?

anyway hope you guy could give me some insight on the R. im located in NY if that makes any difference. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
he whats up guys. Im new here and figured id search around for a bit rather than make a new thread about the same question pretty much. i found this thread. my apologies if its a fairly old bump. anyway, im not new to the car game by far. but im in the market for a new Daily driver. and the S60R has caught my eye. Im a modder/fabricator in the industry, so reading the paper specs the R sounds like a good choice for a DD that will be fun and look good with minimal to no mods at all.

Anyway, my question is (outside the stuff that was blurted out above) what are your thoughts on these. reliability wise are there any known issues when the car is used as a DD and not going for all out power and setup for road course (my mazda handles that addition, lol). I have seem something brought up a few times on my searches...something about "collar sleeve/angle gear/struts/DEM". could someone please explain those mentioned things a bit better. this is my first time looking at volvos in general as a potential buyer. so just trying to familiarize myself with commonly mentioned parts and etc.

another question, i saw someone mention the S60R is a 3700lbs car. is that true? because multiple sources have it listed as between 2200-2450lbs or so. im assuming the range depends on trim and options its equipped with. but what is the actual wieght of this car out the box?

anyway hope you guy could give me some insight on the R. im located in NY if that makes any difference. thanks for your time.

LOL.

Yeah the cars curb weight is right around 3600-3700 lbs for an SR anyways. The VR is probably slightly heavier I would imagine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LOL.

Yeah the cars curb weight is right around 3600-3700 lbs for an SR anyways. The VR is probably slightly heavier I would imagine.

damn, that issss heavy for a car its size. but im sure that due to the safety stuff and sound deadening material? are these cars decently quiet cruising on the highway? not that it matters, just trying to see where all the weight is coming from.

·
Registered
614 Posts
damn, that issss heavy for a car its size. but im sure that due to the safety stuff and sound deadening material? are these cars decently quiet cruising on the highway? not that it matters, just trying to see where all the weight is coming from.
Yes, that and the AWD is heavy.

In stock form, yes the R is extremely quiet cruising on the highway in terms of exhaust note but I think you are asking in terms of sound deadening. I don't know as I usually have the HU-850 at a decent level ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have seem something brought up a few times on my searches...something about "collar sleeve/angle gear/DEM". could someone please explain those mentioned things a bit better. this is my first time looking at volvos in general as a potential buyer. so just trying to familiarize myself with commonly mentioned parts and etc.
i think i figured out what and where the issue is with the collar sleeve and angle gear. i read that it something to do with the clearances or something being to much and the splines getting messed up? pretty much causing the AWD to fail? how common of an issue is this?

and whats "DEM"

Yes, that and the AWD is heavy.

In stock form, yes the R is extremely quiet cruising on the highway in terms of exhaust note but I think you are asking in terms of sound deadening. I don't know as I usually have the HU-850 at a decent level ;)

haha, gotcha. yea, the noise wouldnt bother me much anyway. i was just trying to figure out where the extra weight was coming. but that explains it. im going to do a lil more research on the Haldex unit in the R. as well, any info, advantages or shortcomings you guys have found with the Haldex drivetrain?

·
Registered
685 Posts
All of us on here would love to go 0-60 in 4 seconds but we bought Volvos not a Nissan gtr.. These cars are family cars and are built to be safe... My point is crash a gtr it turns into scrap metal, crash a Volvo and the other car gets totaled.:eek: Go fast in a Volvo things break, go fast in a gtr and you can do it over and over:D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not at all. What full size cars do you know of that weigh 2200-2500 lbs? My 1972 Datsun 510 weighed 2100 lbs.. My 92 BMW E34 weighs 3500. I would venture to say that all fill size 4 door sedans weigh at least 3250 lbs in full trim.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
What should I be looking out for? Ive heard the 05-07 models are perfered due to the angle gear breakage?
Wrong. Angle gear is the same for 04-07 MT.

HAS TO BE A 6 speed, I will be driving the car hard!
Research slave cylinder and angle/collar gear before believing that you can drive it "hard".

How reliable are these cars?
Based on above; not very in your case.....and any used car is only as good as its maintenance history.

What should I be looking out for?
A different car.

Can I get a sub 5 second 0-60 time consistently with bolt on mods? :cool:
Nope.........whether consistently or inconsistently. You'll have better luck finding a pink unicorn.

I want a 1/4 mile car in the 12 second range daily driven is it possible with this one?
Double nope.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
+ 1 on MagoonR's comments.

You may like the idea of a S60r but for what you are looking to do it is not a good fit. Take the R for what it is a great all around car with decent power, refinement,good looks (sexy hips), and a bit of a sleeper, expensive mods with minimal gains. If you can live with that you'll love it, if you really want to do what you stated you will get bored.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts