SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems kind of early to me. Maybe Volvo knows something about the parts that they aren't letting on?
At the one year and 5000 miles mark. I'm not a 2 pedal driver not am I a heavy abuser of braking.
But ....

YMMD

2018 S90 T5.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just had the 2 yr/20,000 mi service and the brakes pads were replaced. The car actually had about 22,000 mi on it, due to an extended, unplanned trip of about 4,000 mi I had to take. The rotors were not turned as far as I know. I thought 22,000 mi was a little early. I use the adaptive cruise control a lot and I think that on average, the adaptive cruise control brakes more often and harder than I typically do as I probably allow my car to come closer to the car I'm following than the Volvo software allows.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
seems kind of early to me. Maybe Volvo knows something about the parts that they aren't letting on?
At the one year and 5000 miles mark. I'm not a 2 pedal driver not am I a heavy abuser of braking.
But ....

YMMD

2018 S90 T5.
Due to being worn out? Or squeaking or vibrating?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We’ve talked this in other threads, but haven’t seen anything this aggressive. The amount of break dust you accrue on your wheels will tell you. Unless you do a lot of stop and go, you should talk to the dealer about it, may be something to look into.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
squeaking. whatever the issue was that caused them to change the brakes was just in the left front, but they are doing the whole rig.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Okay, just wanted to clarify because otherwise people will read this and assume they are worn out at 5k miles.

There were and possibly still are issues with various brake noises on SPA cars. The repair varies depending on the noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After 9.000 miles,my Volvo s90 2018 inscription's brake pad has nearly finished. Service wants 350$ to replace all of them.

I'm not aggressive driver but I use brake more than a strand driver a bit. $350 is too much I think. Can I buy original brake pads online with less cost ? Or do you suggest me different brake brand which is very quality ?

Best,

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can we use one of the ebay vida dangles to put the e-brake into service mode? I know most of the stuff is online now with vida but is the e-brake? I would love to do my own when I get the car but paying for 3day Subscription to do brakes is a no go for me. And to remove the brake motor every time the pad needs changing sounds counterproductive as well.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Can we use one of the ebay vida dangles to put the e-brake into service mode? I know most of the stuff is online now with vida but is the e-brake? I would love to do my own when I get the car but paying for 3day Subscription to do brakes is a no go for me. And to remove the brake motor every time the pad needs changing sounds counterproductive as well.
Or you can disconnect the parking brake motor wire, connect a 9V alkaline battery to the pin and rewind the e-brake motor.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
Changed my Rear brakes my self om 2018 s90 .its not hard to remove and rewind the motor takes extra 2 min to do so . I did same on my wifes 2017 s60. but there is a lot more choices for s60 than s90 so i had to get original once . and yes 350 just for brakes with no rotors is to much. I got same price. i think i spend like 280 changing my self but that included new rotors.

·
Registered
338 Posts
But ....

YMMD

2018 S90 T5.
I had mine replaced at 15K and they claimed they seem to be aware they don’t last long.

Wonder if this is one of those corners they cut to keep cost of car as low as possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
But ....

YMMD

2018 S90 T5.
I had mine replaced at 15K and they claimed they seem to be aware they don’t last long.

Wonder if this is one of those corners they cut to keep cost of car as low as possible?

No, it’s not that. In order to make the car safer, they thought it best to make the brakes more powerful to help stop better and potentially avoid crashes. I think they should have gone with a better brake pad material that lasts longer though. I’m sure many owners will not like this over the life of the car.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No, it’s not that. In order to make the car safer, they thought it best to make the brakes more powerful to help stop better and potentially avoid crashes. I think they should have gone with a better brake pad material that lasts longer though. I’m sure many owners will not like this over the life of the car.
All the more reason why I can't wait until Volvo improves their PHEVs and comes out with good BEVs... People go 100k+ miles without replacing brakes or rotors on cars with regenerative braking...

·
Registered
338 Posts

Are there better brake pads to use then? I don’t want to replace them every 10K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts