SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just letting people know (at least in the US because that's where I'm located) that there is a new app available to download within Sensus today. It's called 'Glympse' and allows you to share your location with friends and family in real time.

I've never heard of it nor used it on a cell phone etc but I just downloaded it in the car, installed it and gave it a quick try. You can set up a nick name, set how long you want to share location for a particular 'share' and then pick contacts from your connected phone. It'll send a text to the contacts chosen saying something like 'Share my drive' but I think you can configure what it will say from within the car before sharing the drive.

Don't know if I'll be using it much but it's new for today so wanted to share with the forum that it is available.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Good to see that it made it to the XC90; it has been available in the other (non-SPA) Volvos for MY15.5 and MY16.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It's good to get app updates.

That said, I can't think of anything worse than this app. I have no clue why many in society feel like all of their lives should be documented and everyone should know everything about them...including where they are at all times. I guess no one cares about privacy anymore. It is getting very Orwellian.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It's good to get app updates.

That said, I can't think of anything worse than this app. I have no clue why many in society feel like all of their lives should be documented and everyone should know everything about them...including where they are at all times. I guess no one cares about privacy anymore. It is getting very Orwellian.
If it's anything like Find My Friends on iOS, it's not public information and has rather set ways of verifying who you are, what you want to share, etc.
I use Find My Friends with my brother and my wife - can see if my wife is stuck in traffic or if my brother is almost to my house.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also use Find My Friends with my wife, sister, and a couple other people. As long as Glympse lets you limit the scope and timing of who you share with, I think it's a good thing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just letting people know (at least in the US because that's where I'm located) that there is a new app available to download within Sensus today. It's called 'Glympse' and allows you to share your location with friends and family in real time.

I've never heard of it nor used it on a cell phone etc but I just downloaded it in the car, installed it and gave it a quick try. You can set up a nick name, set how long you want to share location for a particular 'share' and then pick contacts from your connected phone. It'll send a text to the contacts chosen saying something like 'Share my drive' but I think you can configure what it will say from within the car before sharing the drive.

Don't know if I'll be using it much but it's new for today so wanted to share with the forum that it is available.
So it works within the Sensus system like a GPS car tracker?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also use Find My Friends with my wife, sister, and a couple other people. As long as Glympse lets you limit the scope and timing of who you share with, I think it's a good thing.
It does. They are a startup company in the Seattle area. The concept is similar - you can set the time and how long you share your info to and to whom. it uses the car location to share then...

·
Registered
98 Posts
We have it in Europe too. I just downloaded on my XC90 sensus. Does anybody know how if the person with whom you are sharing your location must also have the app on his phone? That is the case with find my friends.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
We have it in Europe too. I just downloaded on my XC90 sensus. Does anybody know how if the person with whom you are sharing your location must also have the app on his phone? That is the case with find my friends.
Tried it yesterday - no - the vehicle through Glympse sent an SMS message to my phone and that message contained a URL that could be used to watch / track. No need for app on the person receiving the text message.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Works very well here in Sweden. Best if the other person has the app but works ok via webpage. I installed it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had only tested it using the url link in the text so thanks for sharing it will work a bit better if you have the app installed on the phone as well. I'd really only use this for immediate family members so maybe I'll put the app on their phone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Downloaded it today. It takes 10 secs to set it up. You can select the telephone number from your contacts. There are pre-set messages. Extremely easy to use. I really liked it. It's very useful to let your friends or family know about your location (with a private message) when you want to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.