SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back and read all the threads on the angle gear issue and understand the problem and the fix. (And thanks to you posters - I saw the leak when I put in my Takspeed drive shaft safety cable.) Less clear from those threads is the recurrent failure or leak rate of the ones installed after the old one fails. Anyone want to relate their experience?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: New angle gear going in on Friday (Hi Alt R)

I haven't had any problems since they replaced mine, just make sure they check both the angle gear and the spline at the same time. I had to make two trips and lost almost 10 days due to down time. Was also a pain trying to get VIP extended warranty to pay for the second fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will mention that to the service manager. Yeah - don't want to make two trips. 67 miles one way.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Hi Alt R, would you mind sharing with me all that you've learned about the angle gear problem? My last free service is coming up and I want the dealer to check it but I don't really know much about it and I'm pretty sure if I tell the dealer to just check it he'll give me this look:

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: New angle gear going in on Friday (PhilUp)

There was weeping in the 2004 and a bulletin so go ahead and ask he will
not think you are crazy

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: New angle gear going in on Friday (Helmut Ranff)

Haha I hope so. My service manager doesn't take me seriously anytime I mention I saw something on a forum.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
...My service manager doesn't take me seriously anytime I mention I saw something on a forum.

Hehe...he needs to be trained. Practically every single VOLVO dealer is this way w/the R's. Piss-poor training, IMO. Boy could VOLVO improve here.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: New angle gear going in on Friday (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
Hehe...he needs to be trained. Practically every single VOLVO dealer is this way w/the R's. Piss-poor training, IMO. Boy could VOLVO improve here.

Amen to that. It would also help to develop better solutions to the issues instead of band aid fixes. Did someone say loctite is a permanent fix?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi Alt R, would you mind sharing with me all that you've learned about the angle gear problem? My last free service is coming up and I want the dealer to check it but I don't really know much about it and I'm pretty sure if I tell the dealer to just check it he'll give me this look:
Well here is what I know. I read most of the posts on the R forum and look at all of the thread titles. When I seen anything related to maintenance I read all of it. If it is a recurring item among forum members, I book mark it just in case I need to refer to it later (okay so I have a lot of time on my hands). So two things converged here. I have a steep entrance into my driveway and did not want to suffer the the "guard into the driveshaft" thing that others have experienced so I ordered the drive shaft safety cable from Takspeed. I get under the car to install it (which takes about five minutes by the way) and I see that there is a small amount of oil on a metal surface in the area between the front wheels. There was never enough oil to actually drip onto the ground. So I go back to my trusty book marks, look at the pics and diagrams and read the items that have been posted by the helpful fellows here, and come to the conclusion that I may have the angle gear leak. I took it to the dealer (Pedersen Volvo in Fort Collins CO) and talked directly to the service manager Jason Jensen. I said that the oil looks like it might be seeping from the angle gear. He says that is possible and a known problem and that it could also be a leak from the turbo area (seeping down onto the angle gear). He put it up on the rack and inspected it himself and about 15 minutes later he told me that indeed it was the angle gear leaking. He explained that they had taken a couple apart to fix on cars that were not under warranty but that Volvo really thinks it is best to have the entire thing replaced, and that it is about a $2000 peice of equipment (and I'm glad I'm still under warratny). So he had a tech check the oil level, told me it was okay to drive home and ordered the new gear. I am scheduled for 3-4 hours Friday afternoon. R has just short of 18000 miles - probably 17000 of those on open highway. Never tracked and only driven really fast on ocassion. Hope this helps.

Check out these threads:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50601
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=44864
http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=2

Modified by Hi Alt R at 10:41 PM 3-27-2006

Modified by Hi Alt R at 10:42 PM 3-27-2006

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have that checked out just in case.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Haha I hope so. My service manager doesn't take me seriously anytime I mention I saw something on a forum.
My tech writer went so far as to say that there is someone on the 'net photoshopping fake Tech Notes for the R so as to make Volvo look bad
He caught me so off guard with that wacko claim that I didn't know what to say.

At the time, the Tech Note in question was for the brake squeal issue and the solution with the new pads and dampers. He said there was no such Tech Note for the R, and when I offered to show him a printout he said don't bother, it's bogus.

After the mechanic applied the Tech Note -- which was documented on my repair paperwork -- I went out of my to point it out to the tech writer.

To say that the service people don't seriously consider customer-offered info that came from from the 'net is a gross understatement. Some are completely hostile -- and completely wrong.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: New angle gear going in on Friday (mgotts)

Sounds familliar. Check out my "not volvo alignment specs thread". After getting ridiculed that the alignment specs I gave to them were "not Volvo's" and "something off the internet", they aligned my car "their way". Which were the same friggin specs!

Good luck with the angle gea, let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Hi Alt R »
Less clear from those threads is the recurrent failure or leak rate of the ones installed after the old one fails. Anyone want to relate their experience?

One month on a new angle gear assembly so far and no problems http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Regards,

Derek

1 - 17 of 17 Posts