SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm looking into different options for an airbox/intake. I currently have the elevate ams, but its starting to wear down and crack in a few places and it's a PITA to remove. I've seen guys on here with what looks like custom airboxes or just different types. I want an open-ish one like the elevate but less bulky and odd. Any ideas? I'm not opposed to making my own custom one if someone gives me some instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I will be doing something like this.

As of now I have my own custom intake but need to find time to construct a sheet metal airbox. Should be pretty straight forward.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I'd get a stock box and add a gasket lip on top so it seals if you leave it open.

That 90 degree bend irks the engineer in me... Why.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I'd get a stock box and add a gasket lip on top so it seals if you leave it open.

because the more you learn from books the more you get confused and overthink everything you look at? oh yeah and google... lol

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Snabb inlet pipe with the stock box and lid with a good filter.

Or the new snabb kit is nice and fancy.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I have new Snabb kit and love it a little tight fit but worth it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Stock airbox with a custom made fog light ram air intake 2.5'' tube, lid on and snabb turbo inlet.

Why change something stock that is already very efficient, most people are creating nothing but more hot air into their turbos with an open setup.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well correct me if i'm wrong but an open box gives you more sound from the turbo/bov and i love that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
let your engine bay be your airbox...:D

dougy please tell me that's yours... that's amazing lol.

i've seen people with sheet metal ones with various filters, is there an advantage to that as opposed to plastic?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

I've had a 90 degree bend in my intake for almost a year now and have had no issues. This is a rough picture as it was taken as I was constructing the intake.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
What did you do with your snorkel? Do you have one now?
you mean the ram air snorkel that gets air pressed through fog light through chassis setup ? it is still there i just dont use the box cause it is useless and a restriction but air still blows directly onto a filter.

NEW WAY...using hollow part of the chassis which is completely sealed on the inside to suck the air in.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
dougy please tell me that's yours... that's amazing lol.

i've seen people with sheet metal ones with various filters, is there an advantage to that as opposed to plastic?

it is ... plastic would be more logical but once you are rolling/moving more than 20mph either a true cai or air box are irrelevant...i had a temp sensor in my 850 CAI box and still have one without CIA box...same temps.

my 850 is open filter as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so if i get the snabb turbo intake and remove my MAF from the elevate box (or get the audi s4 one, is that better?), running an open filter and havin it right next to the snorkel will run just as well? or will the open hot air negatively effect performance on a daily commute? my drive is 60/40 city and highway.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
so if i get the snabb turbo intake and remove my MAF from the elevate box (or get the audi s4 one, is that better?), running an open filter and havin it right next to the snorkel will run just as well? or will the open hot air negatively effect performance on a daily commute? my drive is 60/40 city and highway.
you have to be tuned for a larger maf housing...open filter, CAI, RAM air, stock air box...hp wise such a minute gains that you have to think and aks yourself " is it worth 500$ to gain 0-5hp?" if every lill bit counts to you and/or you like the looks then why not...you will always have heatsoak with what ever you choose and to counter that I run 50/50 water meth or just straight up 100% distilled water.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
With the audi maf you have to get a tune for it to work.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ah okay, i was just wondering about the maf. i have a tune but not for that. what would i use to make a filter go from the stock maf to right next to the snorkel? is that like an extension or something i can buy/make?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah dougy i'm not looking for more hp, i just like the sound you get from an open intake. also, the elevate ams is a PITA to remove so i just want to simplify my car. isn't that the dougy way anyway? ;)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts