SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for an aftermarket option to pair with my Elevate turbo intake pipe for awhile now. I considered both the Typhoon and Injen but both would replace the turbo pipe with what i felt was an inferior pipe. Don has come out with a bunch of new products over the past few months and i am happy to see he is offering an intake option. i just ordered one up so will comment on craftsmanship after it arrives. just thought i would post this up as there arent many options for our cars and it's great when something new comes out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
wow looks good! Elevate has come a long way.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
The Effect !

Yes, It looks very nice , and I really like Extra Large Filter with repellant - Bag - Plus going from 3.5 Dia. Turns on the Venturi Effect !

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
http://www.elevatecars.com/elevate-s40-air-intake

I'm sorry I'm not typically on Don's case but there I feel I must point out a few things.
Call it customer information protection:p

I don't mind shopping from Elevate. I've been happy with many upgrades he has offered me.
But I'm really tired of the excuses he makes on his website as reason not to do something more.
Seriously, when he had the intake pipe he was saying there is no need for an air intake system because through his thorough testing he did not see any power gain. Oh and I guess the language of the ECU being at risk is now gone from users who had complained is now gone. Ah yes, ford focus engineers said so.

Today he offers an intake filter solution with 7hp!!! huh wait a minute... wasn't there no point to it when the pipe was out... Uh what do you say? . . . you have a reason why not offering a cold air intake?

In 2/3 yrs from now he will have a cold air intake solution!...

That's okay to offer what you have. No need to pretend further system is not needed as a pretext to deal with your competition. That's just not honest business practices... It just makes people irritated and you lose your credibility in no time. Focus on what you sale at the level you sale it and stop the excuses.

I'll say nice product but that's a :thumbdown: for me. Plus $219 for 7hp humm no thanks. Get yourself an IC and you'll be way ahead!
Finally there is no replacement of the MAF section. At $219 that's an air restriction that should not exist in his setup imo.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? $380 before shipping and taxes....
For a pipe from the turbo to the filter?
That maybe gives you 7hp.... er wait... it is not benificial and gives you no power because the stock one is so well designed..... errr ummmm?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I feel like there is just such a demand for intakes, why shouldn't Elevate offer something? (Despite the claims that an aftermarket intake is unnecessary) Especially with the number of people who have been slapping cones onto the Elevate Intake Pipe, it's just another place to make some profits.

But You also need the Intake pipe to get full gains, so it looks like just another intake on the market. I'm sure it'll be one of the better ones though, can't wait to hear your review!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spike - monetarily this may be more beneficial to those that have already purchased and installed the turbo intake pipe. if you are starting from stock and solely looking at pricing than typhoon or injen might be the way to go. i just appreciate and want to support a company like Elevate that is coming out with P1 specific products for us.

TG - come on man....it's called marketing. a business has to do that!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
TG - come on man....it's called marketing. a business has to do that!
Hey Slasher, as I said I think his product are often good quality, a bit overpriced but good quality. He's one of the few who tailor our cars the way he does.
From his approach you can tell he's probably a passionate Motorsport guy that puts a lot of effort in what he likes to do, and happens to like Volvo. But sometime I feel he's being too aggressive and don't mind the lies in order to sale.

Marketing is the ability to market your products, meaning to inform and promote the qualities of your offering.
We all understand that as you pointed out. But there's a big difference between pro-active and defensive marketing.
He's defensive approach puts him in the position of saying a bunch of lies to sale and I think it discredit the hard work he's doing in taking risks to develop his own products. That I do have a hard time with... You don't get that from George at Viva or IPD and I think it makes a much better marketing model and buying experience with people who comes back year after year.

Just tell me, if you bough the pipe he offered before and now he says that the reason you bought it is now irrelevant (mind you, same car!) wouldn't you feel betrayed? Does it make you want to trust him on the next product? Do you feel he's knowledgeable? I think it = bad marketing. In my business we know that returning customers are 70% of your success.

So all I'm saying is that he does not need to defend himself constantly on his website. Just do all you can to demonstrate the benefit of what you have at the moment, what makes it special, AND keep your options open for future products without having to face the Oops moment because you are either unsecured about your business, or have a short term view of your customers and treat them like milking cows!

Just saying ;)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Personally, I applaud his efforts to give the P1 chassis more options. In the last year he has added:
Air intake
Torque mount
2 oil coolers RS and Setrab
hard pipe to IC
Silicone hose w/ 3 options
TCV
Inlet manifold
Polished lower inlet manifold
CBV
Wilwood BBK
K16 turbo kit(he has 2 in stock, although no pricing yet)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hey Slasher, as I said I think his product are often good quality, a bit overpriced but good quality. He's one of the few who tailor our cars the way he does.
From his approach you can tell he's probably a passionate Motorsport guy that puts a lot of effort in what he likes to do, and happens to like Volvo. But sometime I feel he's being too aggressive and don't mind the lies in order to sale.

Marketing is the ability to market your products, meaning to inform and promote the qualities of your offering.
We all understand that as you pointed out. But there's a big difference between pro-active and defensive marketing.
He's defensive approach puts him in the position of saying a bunch of lies to sale and I think it discredit the hard work he's doing in taking risks to develop his own products. That I do have a hard time with... You don't get that from George at Viva or IPD and I think it makes a much better marketing model and buying experience with people who comes back year after year.

Just tell me, if you bough the pipe he offered before and now he says that the reason you bought it is now irrelevant (mind you, same car!) wouldn't you feel betrayed? Does it make you want to trust him on the next product? Do you feel he's knowledgeable? I think it = bad marketing. In my business we know that returning customers are 70% of your success.

So all I'm saying is that he does not need to defend himself constantly on his website. Just do all you can to demonstrate the benefit of what you have at the moment, what makes it special, AND keep your options open for future products without having to face the Oops moment because you are either unsecured about your business, or have a short term view of your customers and treat them like milking cows!

Just saying ;)
TG, I believe this air intake was made as part of Elevate K16 kit. All intakes are good up to a certain flow, the same goes for stock intake box: while it can support flywheel power of up to 315hp (which is max for stock K04 turbo) it cannot provide sufficient flow for K16 turbo which can deliver up to 420 hp of flywheel power. In that context offering new air intake as part of a K16 kit is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer a design without a second pipe where filter is attached directly to the MAF for the most direct flow. In addition, RS style ECU box can be used:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yep, I'm not saying it's a bad idea.
But hey, Elevate does not specifically state it is design for a larger turbo other than:

"Additionally, we trust the Ford engineers who mount the ECU in a similar location WITHIN a plastic box (no direct air flowing through) on the famous and powerful Ford Focus RS which shares the T5 engine (albeit with a larger turbo)."

which mostly reflect a point about the ECU . . . but did change its wording for the pipe sale!

Anyway, it's nice and I like his product developments. I just don't like how he sales ;)

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
I kinda agree with the comments TG is presenting, but it is nice he is adding so many new products for this market.

I had an oil cooler kit in the works and the adapter plate was modeled and had gotten quotes for machining. Guess I should have been more proactive, because at $800 I would have made a freakin killing lol.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
SMILE

LOL , Hey Kova - I Thinks I Know where You got that Bad Ass - Air Filter ! :)

The Dam Auto Industry has rubbed off on some Designers & Developers . Look around We are always being pc. Mealed these Kits , just like the Auto Industry ,
Appliance Industry all of those -Shameful Hold Backs on Designs that could have happened 10 yrs. ago .

Just to make Sure - in the Long Term there are always More Bucks Flowing In . Probably Why You see more and more Home Grown Mods - coming about .

The Other side of the Coin is First to Market - Wins - First to market get the Credits and more Customers.
Something to consider when It's Your Money going out the Window for Development .
:beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
You do have to keep in mind, the Elevate intake pipe came out 6? 7 years ago? At the time, it may have proven to provide equal gains to the Typhoon (the only other option then) at a fraction of the cost. There wasn't a need for anything additional, so why bother? With as much time as they spend on product development, I'm sure it took a while to finally come up with an intake design that provided a significant enough gain; people are all about numbers.

Maybe I'm just quick to give a brother the benefit of the doubt. At least a 7HP gain sounds honest, unlike the insane claims of 19+ HP gains Injen and K&N are claiming.

It would be nice to see a discounted price when ordering both the intake pipe and the intake itself.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hey Kids - Rock & Roll

+1 - WoodStock : Ya , might see +18 HP on a Boosted , Larger IC , Oil Cooled , Ported K-16 ;) T5

Might as well throw in the Cams also . :)

The RS stock was collapsing it's intake hose when , just Tuned , and that stock Intake sys was
Designed to be better then the T5's . Certainly Ours needs Help . :beer:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
installed this weekend. sound is great. performance TBD.
dyno in the near future.

stupid blackberry pictar:

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Would rotate that pipe downward in front of the trans, like a boss ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts