SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Volvo. I've been an Audi aficionado since '04. Still am. Now I'm trying my hand at the Swedish European market. My car is a one owner, fwd, na, auto wagon that belonged to a guy that was best friends with the service manager at a local Volvo dealer. I've been assured that all the recommended service has been performed, including the last t-belt at 187k miles and any repairs were done by a Volvo dealer. With over 200 thousand miles, and with my obsession with maintenance, my question is, what should I look for in the way of upcoming failures, and what should I do as far as maintenance is concerned. I already know the upper dog bone mount is done, but what else should I look for?
This guy really messed up this car. An interior fire, frequent trips to the park with a huge dog, and a wife that didn't care where she parked took their toll. My goal is to get this car to a point where I won't be embarrassed to drive it. I.E. everything works and it looks good. Any help is appreciated.
I'd like to find an interior that is in good condition to replace the old stuff. What fits? I need to repair body work. I want this car to perform as new. What are other common failures? Help!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
upper engine mount bushing is a good place to start. the original rubber bushing dont last more than a few years, meaning wheb this goes, the engine flexes and twists, and often cause exhaust leaks, commonly with the flexjoint just below the manifold. get a new bushing, might as well go for a poly-bushing. will last a lot longer, cost less, and transfers a bit more engine growl into the coupe. highly reccomended.

same goes for the front control arm bushings, these are also rubber, and the smallest misalignment, poor cleaning and whatnot will eat them up, causing brakepull to either side, vibration, and sometimes tire wear. polybushings here too. some people claim it makes the car too stiff, but I cant say I have noticed anything big on my 854 with Rsprings and dampers.

after that, normal maintainence. the endlinks betweeb the stabilzing bar and damper upfront can cause clonks and general uncomfortable sounds, easy and cheap to fix. oil, oilfilter, plugs, rotor, rotor cap and plug wires, beyond that you'll have to see what is actually wrong with the car, and take it as the symptoms show up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts