SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just picked up a 96 850R, high mileage (235K estimated, odo stopped @ 225K). Good shape needs some TLC. And man she is fast.

Stuff I have already fixed- tailgate Struts, tailgate Panel, upper engine bushing, ecu cooling hose.

Parts ordered - odo repair gears, timing belt kit, water pump.

Bought a set of rims & tires from a 2008 S80 (205/50/17) $500, need recos on spacer widths. These rims and tires are basically brand new. The car came with 15" rims...why?...who knows.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
well, S80rims are originally ET49, while 850 is ET43, meaning you need 6mm spacing on each wheel, if you aim to be dead on. think IPD have something like that, if not excactly like that.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
There were probably 15" rims on there because 17" rims on the stock suspension tend to result in a lot of bubbles, flats, etc. It's a very harsh ride, though handling is excellent for a FWD car of that size from those days. 15" rims will soften it up considerably, though 16" is as far as most people take it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
205/50 is a nasty size for these cars
If these are brand new, I would try to return them for 215/45/17.

People that did not want the stiffer ride of 17s usually went to 205/55/16
Never heard of any R with 15s on it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JRL, the car came to me from the second owner with the 15" rims. No idea where the originals went. I got this rim & tires combo very cheap from a private seller, cannot trade sizes.

The odd thing is the center bore on the rims should be the the same so a direct bolt up. but the rims center bore seems to be smaller.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if this wasn't clear. The rims off the S80 (the 17") center bore is smaller than the center bore of the old 15"...so it will not clear the bearing caps

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
take it to a steelworks or the likes, grinding out the few needed millimeters wont be a problem for a guy wirh skills. if you just get som spacer plates, without separate bolts, it might clear the bearing cap with no problem. will be a bitch to center on the bearing, but that oughta sort itself out as long as you tighten the bolts properly.

if you do decide to mount the wheels with no centering ring, IOW centered by the bolts only, pay extreme attention to rumbling noises and wheel vibrations. IF the wheel by some divine intervention are not properly centered, and the load properly divided among the bolts, wont take long till bolts snap, and from there on you know the rest, I assume.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
McShake.

Yeah the required bore is 65.1 and the rims are at 63.1, I did my research and it said they were the same. BUT once I got the wheels I searched the part number, I got the 63.1. My next plan is spacers before I grind, tried a few shops today out of curiosity and they wouldn't touch them....I will find some way.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well an update if any one cares...I uses a bur to increase the core dimension and the wheels are on the car... with no spacers. The caps do fit on the back but the fronts don't clear.....so I will be pursuing spacers but am experiencing no rubbing issues.....and they look GREAT!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts