SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just recently purchased a 1995 Volvo 850 GLT with a 5-speed trans. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. The car has about 170k miles, odometer stopped at 153000.

I picked it up for $314 after registration and what not from my boss. It has a few issues but it was a steal, he just wanted to get rid of it. The two LCA need to be replaced, needs two tires and the odometer gear fixed to pass inspection. I drove it up to school today no problem, 45 minute drive and was a pleasure to drive. Only concern is that it was low on oil, but i filled it up and i will keep close eye on it. So besides the problems mentioned for inspection, that is my only concern. There is no smoke out of the exhaust, no pressure coming out of the dipstick tube(?) while running, and no oil in coolant. So what should be next? A compression test? I know its high miles so it would be normal to burn a little oil. but i added about 2.5 quarts to get it a bit above the halfway mark on the stick. I will search around for some other checks. but just wanted to ask and introduce myself! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
welcome, and congras with a great car, especially for that price.

regarding the dipstick test. Ive found another test better when checking for clogged PCV... unscrew the oil filler cap, but leave it on there, while the engine is running. pull the dipstick, and place your thumb on the tube, making an airtight seal. the filler cap should be practically still, and slight vibrarion is because the engine is running, IF the PCV is clogged, it should dance around oretty violently.

you should check for leaks around where the engine is bolted to the gearbox, approx right behind the left side of the radiator, below the upper engine mount. if the PCV has ever been clogged, the main rear seal could be leaking, and should then show oil in the are descibed. pretty big job to fix, but if left unattended, it can lead to a totaled engine, so this is worth checking for about as often as you check the oil itself. pretty common on these cars too, and could explain the oil loss.

anyways, good luck:)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase.

Find out when the timing belt was last replaced (due every 70k), check the tranny fluid or simply replace it, check your PCV as described above, and check your plugs & wires (wires have a date stamp on them, year/week).

On your car you can check the actual mileage even with the odo broken. I have seen cars with 114,000 on the dash and 225,000 stored in the cluster. Wow! Click here for instructions:
http://www.volvoforums.com/m_145069/tm.htm

You can look here for new owner tips: http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ad-important-thread-also-applies-s-v70s-9266/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt was replaced at 131k according to the sticker. The car was owned by my boss for two years and i know that that is rough approximate but I believe him. I have been working for him the whole time he has owned the car. I am just getting used to the little diagnostics box, i reset my service code. It was pretty neat. I plan on driving the car a bit just to get a feel for it. So far ive had no issues. Then tomorrow i will park it and start completing stage 0 and the other issues i mentioned. I have Civic Si i usually drive. But my plan is to get this car into reliable, safe condition and use this as a daily. And sell the Si for something more fun, like a turbo 850 or s70 t5 and start modifying that to have as a weekend car. I wish i knew this earlier in the week! I was able to get my car on the lift at school and check it out. I do not remember seeing oil leaking, i feel i checked over the car well and had my teacher look over it too. But when i have the car on stands for control arms I will check. I feel i would see oil spots under the car if the rear main seal was leaking right? We will find out though! Thanks again guys for the welcomes!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Man, please don't think we are questioning your purchase, just stating what is "normal" for these cars. Do check the mileage, it may have over 70k since the last belt change. Oil leaks with an 850??? They all leak something or another, they're old cars. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't mean to sound like that, i realize now that I am just defending my beloved Vo! :p Thanks for the awesome info though guys, I think i will enjoy this forum. I love the car so far, cant wait to start working on this thing! Thanks again! and i apologize if i sounded defensive.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
dont worry about it. as always, the internet is a poor venue for irony, sarcasm and such.

just keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels, exhaust smell/color, and unfamiliar noises. these aluminium engines do not like overheating.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont worry about it. as always, the internet is a poor venue for irony, sarcasm and such.

just keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels, exhaust smell/color, and unfamiliar noises. these aluminium engines do not like overheating.
I plan on it man, thanks. The exhaust definitely smells but it is more of a sharp smell, like gasoline. I know that is normal since it is a gasoline engine, but it smells much more than a normal car. I finally got my pops to stand behind the car when i revved it and nothing came out besides condensation. I just parked my Volvo and will slowly start taking out the bad parts and replacing with the new. Sucks i have to drive my slammed civic.. It is going feel so much bumpier driving now since i'm used to Swedish luxury!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I plan on it man, thanks. The exhaust definitely smells but it is more of a sharp smell, like gasoline. I know that is normal since it is a gasoline engine, but it smells much more than a normal car. I finally got my pops to stand behind the car when i revved it and nothing came out besides condensation. I just parked my Volvo and will slowly start taking out the bad parts and replacing with the new. Sucks i have to drive my slammed civic.. It is going feel so much bumpier driving now since i'm used to Swedish luxury!
If you smell a strong odor of gasoline in the exhaust, check your MAF and O2 sensors. May need to clean or replace your maf sensor and replace your o2 sensor. strong gasoline odor means its running rich.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you smell a strong odor of gasoline in the exhaust, check your MAF and O2 sensors. May need to clean or replace your maf sensor and replace your o2 sensor. strong gasoline odor means its running rich.
Awesome, I will look into that. I still have not checked the intake system yet so it would be a good time to anyway. Just use electronic parts cleaner for the MAF? On an OBD1 car is there a way to check o2 readings without sitting there with a multimeter? Never owned a car with obd1. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Awesome, I will look into that. I still have not checked the intake system yet so it would be a good time to anyway. Just use electronic parts cleaner for the MAF? On an OBD1 car is there a way to check o2 readings without sitting there with a multimeter? Never owned a car with obd1. Thanks!
Im not sure about checking it any other way than using a voltmeter. Heres a video using two jumpers on the sensors pin 1 and pin 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdGPuerxuvU

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cleaning a MAF should only be done with a can of MAF cleaner. The thin wire is so delicate that anything else will FUBAR the thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts