SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had a few days to live with my new xc60 and figured I would write down some thoughts.
Mind you I am coming off of a 18' t5 v90 cc, and before that a t6 awd xc60.

sensus: I can really tell the difference in speed of the sensus. It feels much faster. Perhaps they slow down over time, not sure...but so far it's a win. I don't mind Sensus. I know some folks hate it. Maybe I would enjoy Idrive but I hate audis system in our Allroad. I am in many rental cars In my job and it beats the setup in 90% Of them.

Harmon Kardon: I never noticed much difference in dealers. Show rooms isolate the cars anyway so I feel like all the sound systems sound good in the dealer. I had base in the v90 and I can attest, j am not n audiophile but I love the HK system.

engine: obviously same as my t5 v90. I haven't checked the specs but I wonder if tuning is different? I feels a hair zippier than my v90, could be all in my head.

handling: I was worried it would be worse than it is. It handles nicely. No it's no Audi. But the v90 had a pillowy floating feel at times and the longer overhangs never really felt super nice with parking. The xc60 feels very planted and confident for a heavy higher riding suv. I did get it with basic inscription 19s so It's firm but fine. It handles and overall feels much moreconfident than my old xc60. It makes me wish I had given it more thought 3 years ago. It's a very different car. I think it's higher but handles better if that's possible? It feels more like an suv than prior gen xc60 which " felt" closer to my v90 ride height. I just wanted to go with something different and at the time the deals were better.

Interior: this was huge for me. As some of you probably read i was debating on tailored wool V's leather. I live in my car for works many days days so comfort is huge. I ultimately took the risk and decided to go with wool after seeing one example. Mainly because I felt like the sportier seat would feel better over distance. So far I have not had any really long rides but it feels good. I find my body having some interesting pressure points on my "sit bones", but I think it's mostly just from adjusting to the new more upright seating position. I like it better than my momentum seat. I feel like the fabric has slightly more give than leather so maybes it's softer even then an inscription or R leather? It feels quite comfortable but will see over time as seat breaks in. I also love the wool. I just get in the car and it feels very comfy and cozy. Maybe I will get tired of it and I am certainly not looking forward to the extra care I have to take eating and drinking (which I kind of have to do in my job)... but I will be careful. No regrets yet tho. Ps, the wool in gorgeous. The dealer folk all swooned over the blue/wool combo and I have already had a parking lot looky loo.

That's in for now. Heres the pics again in case you missed it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Denim Blue is a great color. We were torn between that or Osmium Grey. I think my wife is still a tad disappointed that I didn't choose the blue.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Denim Blue is a great color. We were torn between that or Osmium Grey. I think my wife is still a tad disappointed that I didn't choose the blue.

Haha, I love blue. It's my fave color. I had a denim v90 and my c30 was caspian blue (very similar to denim). Guess you could say I'm a creature of habit.

Reactions: JasonRK

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Gorgeous car. And I love that upholstery. I hope you’ll enjoy it. Blue is my favorite color also. I have a bursting blue XC 40.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also, that wool looks spectacular. I would not trust myself with it, but it is a brilliant alternative to poly upholstery or leather. Looks extremely high-end, and extremely Scandinavian.

Still, the luxury vegans will need to stick with audis. shrug

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
As the owner of two Audi products, MMI is a great system. But Sensus is very good as well and much simpler to operate. Both have pros and cons, but to say one is significantly better than the other is a stretch in my opinion. The HK is a very good system for a very reasonable price, and it's nice Volvo offers such a good system that is affordable and available across the lineup.

I'm sure this car is lighter than the V90, hence why it feels more spry. The wool is fantastic, and the look is outstanding. I have a feeling it will wear like iron and will be much more comfortable in temperature extremes. I hope this is the start of some new seating choices. I would think driftwood trim would compliment the wool color extremely well. I hope you have many miles of driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As the owner of two Audi products, MMI is a great system. But Sensus is very good as well and much simpler to operate. Both have pros and cons, but to say one is significantly better than the other is a stretch in my opinion. The HK is a very good system for a very reasonable price, and it's nice Volvo offers such a good system that is affordable and available across the lineup.

I'm sure this car is lighter than the V90, hence why it feels more spry. The wool is fantastic, and the look is outstanding. I have a feeling it will wear like iron and will be much more comfortable in temperature extremes. I hope this is the start of some new seating choices. I would think driftwood trim would compliment the wool color extremely well. I hope you have many miles of driving enjoyment.
I'm certainly not saying I audis mmi is awful. I think it's reasonably well done. I just think bmw idrive and Mercedes new one is slightly better. With time I'm sure people get used to any of them. I suspect audis even better now with touch screen but I have not experienced that as our allraod is a 2018. The part I have always found to be very weird, and this is personal preference, is the touch pad aspect of the rotary knob. but if you don't have nav and upgraded mmi I'm not even sure you get the touch pad. Touch pad Just always feels pointless. I also hate the locations of the volume knob on the passenger side of console...anyway, To make a quick call or change radio it works reasonably well with little distraction. It's not my daily driver so i probably just have beefs with it because I always feel like I have to relearn every time I drive it.

On Sensus I have my fave radios set though and mostly just scroll that from the wheel. I still roll with CarPlay and hard plug mostly , as I forgot to mention, I have iphone 12 so cannot use the wireless charge pad. It does create a nice little ledge to set the phone on Though

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The upholstery looks nice. I thought it would be the one with the more obvious plaid pattern, maybe that's for the xc40 option.
engine: obviously same as my t5 v90. I haven't checked the specs but I wonder if tuning is different? I feels a hair zippier than my v90, could be all in my head.
In Volvo's website, comparing SPA v90cc to SPA xc60 with the same number of drive (i.e. FWD to FWD, AWD to AWD), the v90cc is a tad lighter. So, even if the engine tune and gearing were identical, what you noticed might be from the weight difference. Of course the ECU learning your driving habits might also explain that, with the new one haven't really settled in yet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do wool seats need to vent? Like, isn't the whole seat just venting all of the time?
That's my thought. I like vented leather seats. Missed them on my v90. If you have leather in a hot climate i think they pretty important...But I'm not sure You need it on these. This fabric feels very breathable. I would 100%expect id feel cooler in these than vented leather on a hot day. We will give it 5 months and I will report back in may or June ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’ve had several cars over the years with fabric seats (none of them looked as nice as these though) , but they all seemed cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I hope that the “luxury cars = leather seats “ thing expands to include seats like these on more cars. I don’t like pleather and would love to have quality fabric seats.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The wool seats will have a much lower need of ventilation versus leather, that's a fact. I had one of very few 2001 S60s that had the split leather/cloth seats, and the center cloth section was so much nicer in extreme weather compared to all leather. No, they won't be as good as ventilated, but certainly better than all leather. I'm sure some people would choose to have the material over the venting while having a lower overall cost.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice! I have the same wheels as you, on my XC60.
Not only was it impossible to find a wool interior xc60 but it is also nearly impossible to find then without upgrades inscription 20 Wheels. I would have paid for those as I don't mind the look of 20s but didn't want them necessarily. I lucked out as My dealer located this one with the basic inscription 19s...which is fine for me. I like a gentler ride and I eventually might want to change tires. I like Nokian WRG's and they don't make em in bigger sizes(or didn't last I checked).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations, such a wonderful looking color combination. Blue is my favorite also, but was not a color option for R-Design. I like the way the seats look in wool. Is the door panel insert wool also?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts