SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New 2021 S/V90 taillights

26K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  lacucha77 
#1 ·
Official photos released from Volvo.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 · (Edited)
Amen! I see that some other posters here disagree with us, but I prefer older Volvos (and other older cars) that largely hid the exhaust pipe in curved form under the bumper. It's been a relatively new thing to have all cars try to mimic exhaust pipes of Ferraris and other expensive sports cars, and I think it's absurd. Exhaust pipes are like the car's butt, where it poops out the bad crap that results from burning fossil fuels. Why glorify that, especially in a 4-cylinder station wagon?! Makes zero sense. You can pay extra to get a "quad" exhaust-pipe look on the rear end of Volvos, but why?! To try to mimic a Ferrari GTC4Lusso's four *real* exhaust pipes to go with its V12 engine? I think even the design of the fake quad exhaust on Volvos is so amateurish in appearance that it's embarrassing that Volvo even offers it.

So I give high praise to Volvo for making their rear end look more tasteful without glaring cheap-looking exhaust pipes/surrounds embedded in a crappy looking chrome bumper. Yes, very overdone, and never should have happened in the first place.

#3 ·
I really like the tail lights.. I really don't like the new front "bumper".. and I would prefer if they would keep the exhausts..
And now I'm even happier that I bought my V90 before this change :D
the tail lights.. well I might buy them to put on mine.. if possible :)

#4 ·
I don't particularly like the new bumper. It seems odd to me that the exhaust is basically missing. Is this a design cue that comes from electric vehicles, where exhaust is no longer "cool"?

Regardless, I'm glad I got one before the exhaust disappeared.

#6 ·
I don't particularly like the new bumper. It seems odd to me that the exhaust is basically missing. Is this a design cue that comes from electric vehicles, where exhaust is no longer "cool"?

Regardless, I'm glad I got one before the exhaust disappeared.
My guess is that it has to do with the one being a T8 and the other being a B6. So you're probably right that it's about the partial electrification and they don't want to emphasize the ICE. I wonder if they will carry that design theme through to the T4, T5, and T6 variants, assuming those continue in certain markets.

#13 ·
Don't get too excited just yet. Due to thinness of the turn signals, depending on the lighting implementation, the sequential firing order may be removed for US market due to Fed Regs for our turn signals. It's pretty stupid - but who says laws need to a) make sense and b) catch up with modern advancements in technology.

You can read more here - scroll about half way down or search "Owens" on the page and you see an explanation as to why
https://jalopnik.com/we-can-t-get-these-cool-turn-signals-because-of-the-gov-1729310906

#7 ·
Lot's of additional new videos of the V90, V90cc, and S90 refresh can be found here.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/videos/list

Check out the "power-up" sequence for the taillights of the V90 and V90cc.

Unfortunately, I don't think this would be a direct swap for those with 2017-2020 V90-V90cc cars, as it would require replacement of the wiring on the hatch, at the very least.

#8 ·
Someone was paying attention - sort of - to the USB complaints. Dual USB-C outlets for the passengers. No big deal for me but a lot of people have complained about not having USB for the passengers.

#11 ·
My friend is preparing to cycle out of the lease on his Explorer Sport and took a 6 passenger 2020 XC90 for a test drive yesterday.
Note: He has 3 kids all under 10.
He told me he couldn't believe on a premium luxury import there was absolutely zero USB ports for rear passengers. It is now out of consideration.

#19 ·
I am sure there will be somewhere 12V in the car since a lot of car things still run on it . Possibly in a trunk or something. But USB C has lots of power to charge laptops phone etc.Better than USB2.0

#29 ·
I got a little anxious when I saw the refresh details but I won't regret my order (mid April delivery).

-The new R front bumper doesn't look as aggressive
-No tailpipes? Okay Honda.
-No Bursting Blue? Yawn. I do love the slate grey but having color is nice.
-I think the US will only get tinted rears, Europe will get the fun stuff, maybe same with the electrification because the regular V90 is order only here, why should they bother to do much to it. We can just Lamin-X our taillights, boom pretty much the same.
-USB-C I think is tremendous honestly but, my car is slated to be delivered Mid-April so maybe they'll employ some changes on the last dew rounds of mk1 production

I'm super interested to see the changes but not gonna cry about anything and besides, we got some smart people in here we can update ours over time

#45 ·
Just to be clear, for the stock Volvo setup - the pipes leading from the muffler doesn't physically connect to the trapezoid tips, there's a gap in between.

For these Heico tips, it's the same thing (gap in between), except it's not a single pipe on each side, but a Y-connector on each side. ;)

#47 ·
Interesting. USB ports wouldn't even have been something I noticed, or was looking for, but to each their own.

While I agree USB ports are absolutely essential -- a 2 port 6 amp USB car charger cost me $20 and I assume it will need to be upgraded again within the 10 year lifecycle of my car.
I just kind of expect cars to ahve those round cigarette lighter outlets I can plug whatever I need into them. That way it is universal. If I need a phone charged, I'll plug a phone charger into it, if I need something else, I'll plug something else in. That - IMHO - is better than being stuck with one thing, which may or may not stay relevant over the life of the car. I mean, standard USB ports are already being phased out in favor of USB-C.

#55 ·
So my initial research shows the same harness for both (V90CC)

For the lamps, Taking just one of the 4 pieces I get (for JA01 American market)
CH -131824 31655870
CH 131825- 32337134

P.s. the split at the 160724 for the V90 non CC

When I searched random VIN for 2020 and 2021 all were each side of that threshold. So that makes me think these are the part numbers, a dealer could confirm just by calling and providing a 2021 VIN.

Then for harness that connects to it, if I take the left side (the one that connects to the 3rd brake light) I have 3 results, one without CH split and then two splits that are not related to 2021 MY, not sure where the -77667 split is.
CH -77667 31682802
CH 77668- 32265026

One thing for sure is that the harness CH split is not the same as the lamps so my conclusion is that no harness swap is required.

That still doesn't mean the module that feeds the harness is not different, I am not yet there in my research as the OEM price for lights is outrageous so without a crashed donor car I won't do a swap.

Reactions: fusace
#62 · (Edited)
I have the light.

Not sure if I have time to install it. I only have very basic tools at the condo and not much time.

Even though parts catalogues seem to indicate the same harness. I believe the blinkers are only on the external light in the older model (at least US version) where the new one blinks in the tailgate section also. I don't really get how that works.

#67 ·
I read a lot but did not do any tests.

I am 95% confident they cannot be swapped and would need a custom module. I have seen a site that sells a module to use late gen Mercedes tails on an older one and they have a module to convert the standard 12V signals into the LIN code.

And for now even the test/programmable module is out of stock due to chip shortage.

#72 ·
I would not play with anything in the bus.

I would take the analog signals (individual wires) and get then as inputs to convert each to a different LIN command to send to the lights.

Unfortunately I am finishing renovating my cottage and have zero time for it :(

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

#73 · (Edited)
If only these were cheaper, I'd totally go for it.
In my mind, simplest would be splitting the new lights open, and driving the LED circuits as needed, with input wires from the car and making the appropriate LED driver circuits. Once inside, the plain LED layouts are available past the LIN controlled modules. Fancy animations and sequences would be optional. I've got a complete spare set of 2018 tails split open already waiting for cool mods, cutting taillights open is trivial work.

This car is picky with expecting exactly the original incandescent bulb and LED loads, I found this while making my LED pods for reverse, and rear fog. Simple load resistors did not clear the errors as easily as on other cars. Also had to use trigger signals to draw battery power through a relay (I used solid state mosfet relays), just piggy backing a new LED array directly from the reverse and rear fog wires was causing bulb check errors due to the added current draw.
So if brute forcing these new tails onto pre-facelift cars is gonna happen, the stock lights (or rather just the guts) would need to remain connected to keep the error checks happy. Just stuff the original circuit boards behind the trunk side panels and the car won't know any different.

#77 ·
The lights get a different LIN signal for each function. That part would likely not be replicated because the signals come from the CEM... pre-LIN only have independent 12V signals for each light so you cannot tell the tail between a blink and an unlock or hazard.
Even opening animation might be tricky, having to fake it the first time you get power and then not use that signal until next power-up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.