SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my keys yesterday and I love it! My only gripe so far (which I already knew)? How long it takes to charge. Why Volvo didn't implement fast charging like a much cheaper car like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is beyond me, but it's now a matter of discipline and creating the right setup in my house. I went for the T8 mostly based on feedback from this forum in this thread and, in particular, thanks to Kranvagn, who took the time to drive for 2 hours and make a video for me to understand how this all worked. Thank you!

Please chime in with advice on things I should be doing (like I think I heard someone talk about free HOV lane, so I need to read on that, probably register), first steps you recommend, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Beautiful color combination - congrats!

·
Registered
411 Posts
check and see if Florida offers any rebates.....Maryland does....but ur car (minus trade in) has to be below $60, 000...... Same for installing charging components, some states offer rebates. I applied scotchguard (2 light coats) on all fabric.... Yes many states offer HOV stickers for our vehicles.....maryland is a huge sticker that goes on the back..I'll pass.....I hate stickers....Enjoy and congrats

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
@OP

Are you using 110v (~7 hrs) or the 220/240v (~ 2.5 hrs) adapter? Also see T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...peed.com/showthread.php?t=282025&share_type=t

Granted the EV onboard charger is not the fastest but it is likely a compromise based on the battery size and cost.

I suspect the onboard charger will be faster as Volvo and technologies evolves (I.e., EV options, newer PHEV, battery options and lower costs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful color combination - congrats!
Thank you!

check and see if Florida offers any rebates.....Maryland does....but ur car (minus trade in) has to be below $60, 000...... Same for installing charging components, some states offer rebates. I applied scotchguard (2 light coats) on all fabric.... Yes many states offer HOV stickers for our vehicles.....maryland is a huge sticker that goes on the back..I'll pass.....I hate stickers....Enjoy and congrats
Found this on the Honda site. Apparently, the only rebates applies if you PURCHASE the vehicle. I leased. I have been trying to find information on charging component credits and can't find anything other than potential credits if I claim this in my 2019 taxes. Yes, I already found where to apply for free HOV lane use. I will decide whether I use this or not also based on the size of that sticker.

Are you using 110v (~7 hrs) or the 220/240v (~ 2.5 hrs) adapter? Also see T8 wiring and required plug type for charging at home - a guide https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...peed.com/showthread.php?t=282025&share_type=t
Right now? 120V, since the T8 was somewhat unexpected and a bit of an impulse buy. As you can see in the attached photo, not only was I not prepared for a hybrid, but I also don't have the best conditions for this. I pulled up the car close to my house because the cord wouldn't reach and it's sticking out of a window. haha I need to look into ways to make this more seamless and convenient. (That's not my S90.)

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...quired-plug-type-for-charging-at-home-a-guide all about the charging and requirements.......I dont think those fancy charging systems, such as Juice box (connected to 240).....charge it any faster..but you can program it when to charge the vehicle and take advantage if there are lower rates at night.....
I didn't know rates were lower at night. Good to know!

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
depends where u live with regards to lower rates at night.....here in Md,one has to sign up for it.....I need to call them and see what the story is. Right now I just have 120 in the garage, but when we install the home generator in a few weeks, will have the electrician put in 240....

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
depends where u live with regards to lower rates at night.....here in Md,one has to sign up for it.....I need to call them and see what the story is. Right now I just have 120 in the garage, but when we install the home generator in a few weeks, will have the electrician put in 240....
Got it. I will need to give Florida Power and Light (FPL) a call to see what they offer. Thanks and best of luck!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm reading now about my charging options, including power stations. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but not sure how to find it.

Is it true based on this and this (both screen shots attached) that no matter what amps I choose (and, for that matter, which station I choose if I go the station route), my XC60 T8 won't charge any faster?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
A simple 208/240V 16AMP outlet works well for T8. Charge time is about 2.5-3hours. This is the best possible time. Can't be faster even outlet can supply higher AMPs.

And congrats on new T8. It is an amazing machine in many ways.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A simple 208/240V 16AMP outlet works well for T8. Charge time is about 2.5-3hours. This is the best possible time. Can't be faster even outlet can supply higher AMPs.

And congrats on new T8. It is an amazing machine in many ways.
Thank you! And I think that's exactly what I'm doing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im not an electrician.....but when adding the new outlet, I think one wants to do 240 with 50 amps??? reason being to prepare urself down the road for another Electric vehicle that needs the higher amps...doing so now, just saves you some $$$..I could be wrong though....

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not an electrician.....but when adding the new outlet, I think one wants to do 240 with 50 amps??? reason being to prepare urself down the road for another Electric vehicle that needs the higher amps...doing so now, just saves you some $$$..I could be wrong though....
This is the way I think about this. If the main reason behind getting a hybrid or EV is to save money, why go with the overkill solution for the what-if's? Not only do you not KNOW where the market is going or what you will purchase/lease years down the road. You also don't know how cheap all of these will be by the time you need them. Or what the next best thing is. If all you can get from your solution today is 16A, go with 16A and be done with it for as long as you keep the vehicle. If you save $400/year on gas but spend $600 in your solution... Do the math. You can get exactly the same immediate gains for a lot less without needing to negate the benefits of your vehicle choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is the way I think about this. If the main reason behind getting a hybrid or EV is to save money, why go with the overkill solution for the what-if's? Not only do you not KNOW where the market is going or what you will purchase/lease years down the road. You also don't know how cheap all of these will be by the time you need them. Or what the next best thing is. If all you can get from your solution today is 16A, go with 16A and be done with it for as long as you keep the vehicle. If you save $400/year on gas but spend $600 in your solution... Do the math. You can get exactly the same immediate gains for a lot less without needing to negate the benefits of your vehicle choice.
If you are in FL, there is a good chance your breaker box is already in the garage. It is very trivial to run a 12/2 wire from the breaker box to a spot where you put in a NEMA 6-20 outlet -- assuming you have 2 open slots in your existing breaker. It is like <$100 in parts. Get a dedicated 240v outlet, and use the charger cable that came with the car. It really makes it much easier

·
Registered
251 Posts
Congratulations man!!! Great looking car, you're going to love it.

I personally only use the 110v charging, and use a high amperage digital timer to have it start charging at midnight (have never gotten the on-board timer to work right, who knows maybe next software update...). It's good enough to have a full charge in the morning, no need for a fast charger at home really unless your particular use case demands it.

So the big federal rebate, $5002 [corrected, thanks Squeak], comes when you sign the lease (I.E. it goes to the dealer immediately and the lease is $5K lower). If you buy, then you get it back when you do your taxes next. State rebates are all different...here in CA, it's $1500 you mail away for, same for carpool stickers, and even a ESVE charger installation gets a rebate. YMMV.

Also, here in CA you have to sign up for the time-of-delivery electricity pricing to get cheap power at night, no idea how that works in Florida...

·
Registered
61 Posts

I personally only use the 110v charging, and use a high amperage digital timer to have it start charging at midnight (have never gotten the on-board timer to work right, who knows maybe next software update...). It's good enough to have a full charge in the morning, no need for a fast charger at home really unless your particular use case demands it.

So the big federal rebate, $4500, comes when you sign the lease (I.E. it goes to the dealer immediately and the lease is $4.5K lower). If you buy, then you get it back when you do your taxes next. State rebates are all different...here in CA, it's $1500 you mail away for, same for carpool stickers, and even a ESVE charger installation gets a rebate. YMMV.

Also, here in CA you have to sign up for the time-of-delivery electricity pricing to get cheap power at night, no idea how that works in Florida...
Federal Rebate is $5002

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are in FL, there is a good chance your breaker box is already in the garage. It is very trivial to run a 12/2 wire from the breaker box to a spot where you put in a NEMA 6-20 outlet -- assuming you have 2 open slots in your existing breaker. It is like <$100 in parts. Get a dedicated 240v outlet, and use the charger cable that came with the car. It really makes it much easier
I don't have a garage. My car is parked in front of my house and open to the elements (including people passing by as I have no fence). I am planning on using the charger cable, yes, but need something to plug it into, so the Electrician (who's on his way here right now) is basically going to make this happen by installing a weather-proof 240V outlet in front of the house and I plan on turning off the breaker every time I finish charging after work. I can't leave the car charging overnight because I'm afraid someone will try stealing the cable.

Thank you for all your help! I find myself chuckling at the thought of "plugging in the car" as I normally would my cell phone. :)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Like Kranvagn said, you don't own the vehicle, so you don't qualify for federal/state rebates, beyond what's stated in your lease agreement.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I don't have a garage. My car is parked in front of my house and open to the elements (including people passing by as I have no fence). I am planning on using the charger cable, yes, but need something to plug it into, so the Electrician (who's on his way here right now) is basically going to make this happen by installing a weather-proof 240V outlet in front of the house and I plan on turning off the breaker every time I finish charging after work. I can't leave the car charging overnight because I'm afraid someone will try stealing the cable.

Thank you for all your help! I find myself chuckling at the thought of "plugging in the car" as I normally would my cell phone. :)
The charging cable is locked on the car and can't be unplugged until you unlock the car.
But still, if you worry about the cable being stolen in your community, this lock may not be strong enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts