SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so maybe not QUITE that bad, but there's definitely a mechanical rattling sound from inside the cabin at idle and it's noisy when applying revs, especially under load like going up a hill. I went into the dealer and compared with the test drive car again and it was a completely different experience... the test drive car was practically silent. I have it booked in soon as they get a loaner car, and they say they're going to try removing the belt (water pump?) to see if it makes any difference. At least they've admitted that it does sound different.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
383 Posts
FWIW my T5 V90 has significantly quietened down after about 2000 miles. I know people say that modern cars don't have a drive-in period but this one seemed to. It's now much much quieter than it was originally.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2018 XC60 T5 is about as quiet as it was initially. NO rattlings at all. Perhaps you should make use of the guarantee and check the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've noticed this kind of sound on my T5 since day one. I like it, makes it sound more like a truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. It sounds nothing like the test drive car, which seems to have no real growl to it but is a lot smoother. Can two identical models sounds so different?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it seems there is a problem. They disconnected the belt (leading to the alternator) and the noise went away (this is the noise during idle when warm) and it became quiet like the test car. They are going to replace the belt and tensioner to see if it helps, but when I asked if this could be a problem with the alternator itself they said they couldn't rule it out. We'll see soon enough. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
So, it seems there is a problem. They disconnected the belt (leading to the alternator) and the noise went away (this is the noise during idle when warm) and it became quiet like the test car. They are going to replace the belt and tensioner to see if it helps, but when I asked if this could be a problem with the alternator itself they said they couldn't rule it out. We'll see soon enough. :)
WOW new car has problem with alternator :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Raeldor, I had my 2019 XC60 T5 in for the liftgate strut and gas filler pipe replacement last week and had a service loaner that was the same model with 1800 miles on it. I felt/heard the exact same difference. My XC90 seems to have much more of a deep growl compared to the service loaner which was quiet to the point of almost being just a hum. I called the dealer and asked them to check my engine tuning. When they finished, they told me that my engine was at spec and that the computer system learns each driver's patterns and so I could not fairly compare the loaner XC60 to mine, even though both have about the same miles. That didn't explain the engine differences in my opinion. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 2013 S60 T5 had a deep diesel sound which I liked so much. But it went away within a month or so after I got it. I believed it's because of my driving style. I do more like 90% inner city driving with trips lasting less than 30 minutes on average.

I am not 100% sure if the sound I'm talking about it's what is referred to here, but now my car is smooth n quite n I could barely hear any engine sound from inside the cabin.

I missed that sound to the point that whenever I'm gonna drive long distance, I look forward to hearing it again, since I think it has something to do with vehicle driving habits as someone said above somewhere in this thread. But sadly it never came back and I've had this car for two years now and have done 20000km in it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, thanks guys. I actually think there's 2 separate issues here. One is the rattling sound when the engine is warm even at idle (which is what's being looked at). The other is the growling under load, which may as you say be due to driving style adaptation (though it's the first time I've heard of that). I'd be interested to know more details on this algorithm for drive style adaptation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just posting an update to the idling noise issue. They replaced the belt and tensioner but the noise still persists. The are now ordering a replacement alternator as a next step. I feel bad for them, but the noise is definitely noticeable and I think that's not acceptable on a $70,000 car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, they replaced the alternator but the noise still persists. They also disconnected the water pump temporarily (it's electronic not belt driven) and that didn't help either. They are going back to the Volvo Tech Center for advice. At this point I can only think it's the engine. But this level of noise to me is not acceptable on a $70k car. The last 2 cars I've had that have been half the price have been much quieter at idle. I took a couple of recordings and it seems hardly noticeable in the footwell, but when I record on top of the dash it's very noticeable. Wonder if it's coming from the engine head?

This is the footwell sound...

https://soundcloud.com/ray-price-794907863/driver-footwell

And this is the dash sound...

https://soundcloud.com/ray-price-794907863/driver-dash

Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I can hear it over the music when I'm idling and I really don't think that's ok.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I’m getting the right impressions from your recordings, stick to your guns. My 2018 T8 with the engine running in power mode *maybe* sounds like your footwell recording. Engine noise is hardly noticable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I concur. I've had my T5 for a year and it's never sounded like what you have in the dash sound. I would certainly notice that over my music since I never have it too loud due to Wifezilla.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, they gave up in the end after replacing a whole bunch of stuff. Not sure what else to. Interestingly the sound goes away when you remove the top engine mount (torque arm), so it seems like it might be some kind of vibration being carried through into the cabin. Only happens when the car is warm. I can kind of hear it a little behind the drivers side wheel too, not sure if that means anything. Car is running fine, but it is somewhat frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same thing here. 2019 T5 with 1500 miles. I just thought this is how the car 'should' be. I always thought it is weird that the car sounds like diesel. perhaps I should go to the dealer and figure it out, although looks like they do know how to fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I have come across this post as I have a s60 with t4 engine its like a wisper idling and low throttle but any acceleration it makes a growl like a racing car is this normal its 20,000 miles only had a couple of months

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
237 Posts
This is a super old thread but it's worth noting that in the last few months Volvo introduced a new torque arm. I can't find the part number but if you search "torque arm" in this forum you'll find it. It supposedly fixes this vibration issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts