SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2019 V60 (T6 R design) to a car wash for the first time (less than a month old) and the passenger footwell filled with suds. The water was coming from the light under the glove box. The car is back at the dealer. I don't know if this happens when it rains.

So, a couple questions:
1) Any ideas of the likely cause?
2) What do I need to insist the dealer does to ensure there are no long-term issues? Remove the carpet? Replace electrical components in the light? Other?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure..it if was leaking now it was probably leaking on the lot during the rain unless it was kept in a covered lot (which I doubt, most dealerships where I'm at just leave their cars uncovered outside). Very possible rain got in during this period and may have caused issues where you can't see. I'd insist on a inspection of that....

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Guessing that it's the base of the windshield maybe that didn't get sealed correctly - I am not as familiar with the SPA cars.

Depending on how wet the floorboard is I would want the carpet and pad removed from the car to be thoroughly dried. The padding is really thick and if not removed it will take a long time to dry or may not dry completely, resulting in possible problems with electrics and worst case mold growth over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with Wayne T5 that mold in the padding is probably biggest concern. Carpet can be dried, but I'd personally insist padding be replaced. Left unchecked, you may not be aware of it for several months. Do be sure that you retain records that show the nature of the problem so if associated issues don't reveal themselves until much later, you have recourse. I'd be sure to send an email specifically stating your concern about mold in padding to the Service Dept Manager, ensure you receive a reply to show he/she received it, and retain for your records.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back with the (non) resolution.
Car spent a week at the dealer. They claim they tried everything to replicate the problem and could not do so (thankfully, I had pictures). They did remove the carpet and padding all the way down to the metal floor and saw no evidence of water. Their best guess is that suds from the car wash entered the fresh air intake and filled some sort of air distribution box under the dash on the passenger side. This box is not watertight, so the suds leaked out (they say). Supposedly, this would not be an issue with just water since the water would have drained.

I have not taken the car back through a car wash (although they claim they did take the car through a car wash to test it).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts