SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a new XC90 last week and had a few questions:

1. How do you remove the 2nd row headrests? In other cars we have removed them to make sure the car seats are laying flush to the back of the seat.
2. I'm getting an SMS Service Unavailable on the display, and I believe I'm checked the appropriate permissions for our IPhone's. I'm getting CarPlay installed in the next week or so, so not that big of a deal, just a little irritating.
3. Start/Stop can't be turned off permanently apparently, not a big deal, but not a fan so far. It's just different I guess, I could get used to it.

Really liking the car so far, it's mostly my wife's kid hauler vehicle, but very polished. Being an IT guy, I love the technology in the car, the tablet like display is heads and tails better than the traditional NAV screens in comparable vehicles, very Tesla-like if you will.... We're coming from a 2013 Ford Explorer that drove like a tank. The XC90 has much better power delivery and handling, and the visibility from every angle is much better. Fit and finish is far better than the Ford.

We had a deposit on a 2017 Audi Q7, but it was much smaller and not as functional in person. It's much more of a station wagon than an SUV, so we backed out and ended up with the Volvo. Coming from VW's and BMW's, the Audi drives much more like we're used to, but it didn't take long to get used to the Volvo. It lacks the panache of other brands, but many people were very surprised seeing this car in person when I told them we went with a Volvo over our typical brands or the Audi. Very much like that Buick commercial...

I've also seen a lot of posts here regarding availability. Our local dealer in JAX had a dozen of them of all flavors waiting to be purchased including an Inscription and a couple R-Design's. Found it odd people are waiting around for cars when they seem to have a lot in stock. They were also willing to deal, I ultimately got about $2,600 off MSRP with little guff.

Options:
-Onyx Black/Black
-Momentum Plus
-Vision w/ HUD
-Climate
-Convenience
-Urban styling w/ 21's
-2nd row booster (this is really nice by the way if you have a boatload of kids like I do)
-Apple CarPlay

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
On Volvo cars I don't see any headrest is removeable. Must be something unique to Volvo...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice! I have the same build, but, without the urban styling kit. My dealer in TX wouldn't come down a $1.
Sounds like it's pretty regional. We just bought this exact car, minus the urban styling kit, as well. We wanted an inscription, but none with these options to be had in CA. We paid I think ~$600 off MSRP, but used a broker and had to have it shipped from So CA, so net result was pretty close to MSRP. I think we found maybe two in the state?

As an aside, for those in CA, we used Roadster. So far, the experience has been great. Expecting delivery of vehicle either Tuesday or Wednesday. We couldn't even get a response from the sales rep at our local dealer about buying from another site (or about a few other Qs we had).

·
Registered
1 Posts
auto start/stop is well documented here in the forum..short answer is you can't shut it off as a default..have to do it after car starts via a few diff ways.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrats! Nice to hear it was easy for you to get... out here in California, not exactly the case. :) Like ..... 3-6 months in many cases, ourselves included.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats! Good looking ride.

The headrests can't be removed I think but there is a button in the Sensus to put them down. Just don't do this when your kids are sitting back there!

I'm getting used to start/stop too. Fine w it now.

Good to hear you got some cash off. I got a great deal on my MDX trade in and free mud guards.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great deal on a great looking car, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
On Volvo cars I don't see any headrest is removeable. Must be something unique to Volvo...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
That would go totally against what Volvo stands for; uncompromised safety. The headrests can collapse forward, at the touch of a screen, which facilitates a flush fitment of the second row seat(s) when folded down.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That would go totally against what Volvo stands for; uncompromised safety. The headrests can collapse forward, at the touch of a screen, which facilitates a flush fitment of the second row seat(s) when folded down.
If headrest is detachable and could be forgot to put on by drivers or passengers, anything can happen with them. They can forget to put on seat belts, disable city safety, even DUI, all things Volvo can't help with.

Detachable headrest is hardly something that compromises safety.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If headrest is detachable and could be forgot to put on by drivers or passengers, anything can happen with them. They can forget to put on seat belts, disable city safety, even DUI, all things Volvo can't help with.

Detachable headrest is hardly something that compromises safety.
They are. They are not as sturdy as fully integrated headrests (thus, Volvo has not used them for decades) and people could forget to put them back on therefore compromising themselves. I do not feel your example of "forgetting to put on seatbelts" is relative; apples and oranges...same as DUI.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
To make sure the car seat sits flush, being that you cannot remove the headrests, you may want to recline the seat back to a preferred position. That's what I'm doing with our booster/booster backrest.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They are. They are not as sturdy as fully integrated headrests (thus, Volvo has not used them for decades) and people could forget to put them back on therefore compromising themselves. I do not feel your example of "forgetting to put on seatbelts" is relative; apples and oranges...same as DUI.
Any reports of detachable headrest affected crash test result or caused person injury in accident? I don't think all other car makers are so dumb to not notice it.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Any reports of detachable headrest affected crash test result or caused person injury in accident? I don't think all other car makers are so dumb to not notice it.
An adjustable headrest has a higher probability of being in the wrong position during an accident of coming off in a rollover if they have not been secured properly.

Just because other manufacturers are not incorporating them that does not tell me anything other than I know Volvo's safety expertise has led them to believe that fixed headrests are the way to go (and they are not the only manufacturer to incorporate them).

We can debate this six ways to Sunday; bottom line is Volvo believes that fixed headrests are the safest design. Therefore, and it may "surprise" some, I am going to go along with them! :cool:

·
Registered
174 Posts
My wife thinks it's funny to play whack a mole with people riding in the second row...so funny she says! When we first sat in the car with her in the driver seat and salesman in passenger seat with my son and I in back, the salesman had her hit the switch. Grant and I were not impressed! Like the other posters said, the do fold down letting the seats lay perfectly flat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My point for asking about the headrests is because a standard front facing toddler carseat doesn't sit flush because the top of it hits the headrest. Granted, it's not very much, and to a much lesser degree than our other vehicles, but I've never been in a vehicle where I couldn't manually remove them.

Another observation I had with the new car is that the manuals are very lacking. While they give a good basic overview of the vehicle, they lack specifics, especially regarding technology. You get a nice quick start reference guide and that's it, seemed a bit odd. I do like the ability of having the digital owner's manual accessible through the car, I've already used it a couple times.

·
Registered
380 Posts
2. I'm getting an SMS Service Unavailable on the display, and I believe I'm checked the appropriate permissions for our IPhone's. I'm getting CarPlay installed in the next week or so, so not that big of a deal, just a little irritating.
Under your iphones Bluetooth settings, click the little "I" button next to your connected XC90.
Make sure to check the ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS tickbox.
Contacts should already be checked.

You can also, from your XC90s dropdown menu, toggle the message to show up in both screens and for it to read it out over the sound system just by hitting the button on your steering wheel
Work?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
There are Apple and Android apps for "Know your Volvo" and Senus which offer some tidbits and hopefully more going forward (e.g., T8).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Under your iphones Bluetooth settings, click the little "I" button next to your connected XC90.
Make sure to check the ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS tickbox.
Contacts should already be checked.

You can also, from your XC90s dropdown menu, toggle the message to show up in both screens and for it to read it out over the sound system just by hitting the button on your steering wheel
Work?
Looks like it was already checked, not sure if I did that after the fact, but it doesn't look like it's on by default. I tried to re-connect and still nothing, service unavailable. :(

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks like it was already checked, not sure if I did that after the fact, but it doesn't look like it's on by default. I tried to re-connect and still nothing, service unavailable. :(
I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can't get messages to show either, outside of CarPlay. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts