SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! So this last weekend I purchased a slightly used S60 with 9k on the odo. It has been a great car so far, but one thing I have noticed is that the automatic climate control doesn't really work. When I push the "Auto" button, it'll go at full blast without fail. I can tinker around with the temperature knob and the air coming through will be hot, warm, and cold, but the speed will always remain at full. I did Click on My Car>Settings>Climate Control and set the automatic fan to 'low' and 'normal' but it doesn't make any difference. Is there something I am missing here or do I need to take it in for service already?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It doesn't matter what the air temperature is coming out of the vents. What matters is the ambient temperature inside the cabin. When you hit Auto button the system will try to bring the cabin temperature to the set point as fast as possible. It does this by engaging heat or A/C and redirects air flow by opening/closing vents. If the temperature differential between the set point and actual cabin temp is far apart the system will crank up the fan speed in an attempt bring the two together as fast as possible. The system continually decreases the fan speed as the cabin temperature approaches the set point. If the temperature differential is not so great, for example 5 degrees, the system won't crank the fan at full speed.

If you don't like the noisy fan or all that air blowing on you in the beginning don't use the Auto feature initially. I never use Auto in the summer. I just don't think it works that well for A/C. I do use it all the time in winter. It works flawlessly with heat (but I shut off the A/C) unless it's needed.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It doesn't matter what the air temperature is coming out of the vents. What matters is the ambient temperature inside the cabin. When you hit Auto button the system will try to bring the temperature to the set point as fast as possible. It does this by engaging heat or A/C, redirects air flow by opening closing vents. If the temperature differential between the set point and actual cabin temp is far apart the system cranks up the fan speed to bring two close together as fast as possible. As the cabin temperature approaches the set point the system decreases the fan speed. If the temperature differential is not so great, for example 5 degrees, the system won't crank the fan at full speed.
+1

·
Registered
315 Posts
It doesn't matter what the air temperature is coming out of the vents. What matters is the ambient temperature inside the cabin. When you hit Auto button the system will try to bring the cabin temperature to the set point as fast as possible. It does this by engaging heat or A/C and redirects air flow by opening/closing vents. If the temperature differential between the set point and actual cabin temp is far apart the system will crank up the fan speed in an attempt bring the two together as fast as possible. The system continually decreases the fan speed as the cabin temperature approaches the set point. If the temperature differential is not so great, for example 5 degrees, the system won't crank the fan at full speed.

If you don't like the noisy fan or all that air blowing on you in the beginning don't use the Auto feature initially. I never use Auto in the summer. I just don't think it works that well for A/C. I do use it all the time in winter. It works flawlessly with heat (but I shut off the A/C) unless it's needed.
+2

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand your problem but have no solution.

Does it run on HIGH even after you get the car to ambient?

I always run it in auto and just adjust the temp dial.

Maybe a drive by to the dealer would have a reset? Or the cabin temp sensor is disconnected or dead.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
not sure if you did this experiment, but when you get in the car next time, if the car is hot, put it in auto mode and set both temp selections to a high temp.

Drive around for a while, at least 5 minutes like this.

I've seen it takes some time for the control path, its probably ensuring the temp is consistent and steady before slowing the fan, at least that's how I'd design the control circuit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Question

I understand your problem but have no solution.

Does it run on HIGH even after you get the car to ambient?

I always run it in auto and just adjust the temp dial.

Maybe a drive by to the dealer would have a reset? Or the cabin temp sensor is disconnected or dead.
Hey Phil,
I notice from your signature line that you have a 2014 Avalon. I traded my 2005 Avalon for my 2013 S60. I loved the Avy, but also love the S60. The Avy was a great highway cruiser with a lomo like backseat, had plenty of passing power, good highway mileage and good reliability. The S60 is quick, powerful, more fun to drive and also has good highway mileage and has been reliable. While the front seats are the most comfortable I've ever had, the back seat is very tight, the trunk is small and no spare. (Not complaining - Just comparing). How does your Avy stack up against your S60? Is your S60 a 5 0r 6 cylinder? Mine is the 5. Just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The 2012 behaves the same way. High speed initially when there's a large temperature differential slowing over time.

Does your system display this behavior or is it stuck on high?

·
Registered
251 Posts
In hot weather mine will blow on high for quite some time, but over the course of 20-30 minutes, the fan backs off. At that point, adjusting the temperature does adjust fan speed. I have had a similar experience with other cars as well.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Is defroster on? On some cars there are settings associated with defrost that
run max speed to clear the windshield (but I forget how that works exactly
on the S60 since I have not used defrost in some time).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
In hot weather mine will blow on high for quite some time, but over the course of 20-30 minutes, the fan backs off. At that point, adjusting the temperature does adjust fan speed. I have had a similar experience with other cars as well.
really? thinking back, I don't think i've waited that long, I just turned down the fan myself. Other times I do recall the fan slowing down on its own, don't recall the temps on those days though.

It seems Volvo can't get their temp sensors to calibrate properly, I know the outside temp reading on the dash is basically junk, why do I have to drive 10 minutes or more to get an accurate reading but my crummy chrysler 2005 van is extremely accurate no matter if I leave it in the sun all day or not?

If they can't get the outside temp sensor correct, maybe their inside sensor is off too?

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can adjust the fan speed for the auto climate control in settings. Options are Low, Normal and High.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It seems Volvo can't get their temp sensors to calibrate properly, I know the outside temp reading on the dash is basically junk, why do I have to drive 10 minutes or more to get an accurate reading but my crummy chrysler 2005 van is extremely accurate no matter if I leave it in the sun all day or not?
It's not a calibration but rather a location issue. Volvo places the outside temperature sensor in the driver's side view mirror housing. With that baking in the sun I'm not surprised by the inaccuracy. I ignore the outside temperature reading in the summer because it's wrong most of the time but in the winter readings are pretty accurate. Most manufacturers place this sensor under the front bumper. Not sure why Volvo doesn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not a calibration but rather a location issue. Volvo places the outside temperature sensor in the driver's side view mirror housing. With that baking in the sun I'm not surprised by the inaccuracy. I ignore the outside temperature reading in the summer because it's wrong most of the time but in the winter readings are pretty accurate. Most manufacturers place this sensor under the front bumper. Not sure why Volvo doesn't.
It is a bigger issue with those of us with Drive-E systems, as the erroneous outside temp reporting can prevent engine stop - any reported temp of 86+ prevents engine stop, and I've seen it not work in 80 degree ambient because the sensor reports 86+. My car also seems to report 3 degrees high even under ideal conditions (no sun, etc.), so combining that with the poor sensor location just magnifies the problem.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I almost wonder why auto manufacturers ever bother with the ambient outside temperature sensor anyways, they're never right!!! And actually, I would think that Volvo's placement is better than most since there won't be so much heat coming from the engine like if it was under the front bumper. Regardless, equally useless from my dad's $15,000 Fiat 500 to my uncle's $80,000 BMW X5....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I almost wonder why auto manufacturers ever bother with the ambient outside temperature sensor anyways, they're never right!!! And actually, I would think that Volvo's placement is better than most since there won't be so much heat coming from the engine like if it was under the front bumper. Regardless, equally useless from my dad's $15,000 Fiat 500 to my uncle's $80,000 BMW X5....:rolleyes:
Ambient temperature is used by the ECM for various reasons, one noted above. I've had very accurate temp readings from a Dodge, VW and MB all had the sensor located below the radiator or low in the front bumper. Heat rises so locating low in front of the vehicle is ideal. But all cases a more accurate reading is obtained after the car has been moving. In the summer Volvo's location never seems spot on. Volvo's location is terrible mainly because it's in a housing that's exposed to the sun and as such gets heat soaked. It takes much longer to cool after moving. They probably chose that location to save on wire because it can be easily connected to the door controller and reported to the CEM over the CAN bus. Still a little extra wire from the front of the car to the CEM would yield more accurate outside temps year round.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies all. <I now feel quite silly> When I got into the car today, I drove around for a bit and tried to hit the auto button again, and as expected it the fan went to full. This time though my wife was in the car and started messing with her side of the climate control setting and I heard the fan start slowing down just a tad bit. Sure enough I noticed that her side had been stuck on 'low' while mine was at '77'. I then held down the auto button in hopes that it would "link" both temperatures. To no avail, but after I manually equalized the temperatures, the fan started auto-slowing down and compensating. It seems like this was an embarrassing user error, so thank you all for the assist. I don't suppose there is a magical way to link the temperatures of both sides? I had this feature on other Toyotas and Infinitis of the past.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. <I now feel quite silly> When I got into the car today, I drove around for a bit and tried to hit the auto button again, and as expected it the fan went to full. This time though my wife was in the car and started messing with her side of the climate control setting and I heard the fan start slowing down just a tad bit. Sure enough I noticed that her side had been stuck on 'low' while mine was at '77'. I then held down the auto button in hopes that it would "link" both temperatures. To no avail, but after I manually equalized the temperatures, the fan started auto-slowing down and compensating. It seems like this was an embarrassing user error, so thank you all for the assist. I don't suppose there is a magical way to link the temperatures of both sides? I had this feature on other Toyotas and Infinitis of the past.
There is no way to link them.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Seems most manufacturers have a way to sync both sides and a press-and-hold on the auto button would have been a simple way to do this for Volvo. Another missed opportunity.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ambient temperature is used by the ECM for various reasons, one noted above. I've had very accurate temp readings from a Dodge, VW and MB all had the sensor located below the radiator or low in the front bumper. Heat rises so locating low in front of the vehicle is ideal. But all cases a more accurate reading is obtained after the car has been moving. In the summer Volvo's location never seems spot on. Volvo's location is terrible mainly because it's in a housing that's exposed to the sun and as such gets heat soaked. It takes much longer to cool after moving. They probably chose that location to save on wire because it can be easily connected to the door controller and reported to the CEM over the CAN bus. Still a little extra wire from the front of the car to the CEM would yield more accurate outside temps year round.
+1 on all accounts. Again, my 2005 Chrysler van is super accurate.

Seems most manufacturers have a way to sync both sides and a press-and-hold on the auto button would have been a simple way to do this for Volvo. Another missed opportunity.
The biggest missed opportunity I feel is using only one blower fan for two climate zones. My wife would need a sweater if she was on the surface of the sun where as I am far more moderate. Many times she's at 75+ and I at 72 or so, but with one blower fan, I get frozen because the single fan is trying to warm her up.

Why Volvo, why only one fan?!?!

Does the XC90 have two?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts