SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Volvo Owners!

I have just recently bought a 2015 Polestar and am getting to know the car. I have a few questions and hope that some of my fellow owners can help answer them.

1. Does the remote start not work on the P* variants? I cannot get it to work like the manual says it should.
2. Anyone ever had the "battery charge low" warning? What's the cause of that?

I am sure there will be more, or maybe less as I get to know the car a bit better. Its a hoot to drive and coming from an 04 E320 it has all the bells and whistles I could ever want!

Thanks folks.

Keith

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
1. Remote start won't work with a low battery.
2. Low battery message means you have a Low Battery.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Hello fellow Volvo Owners!

I have just recently bought a 2015 Polestar and am getting to know the car. I have a few questions and hope that some of my fellow owners can help answer them.

1. Does the remote start not work on the P* variants? I cannot get it to work like the manual says it should.
2. Anyone ever had the "battery charge low" warning? What's the cause of that?

I am sure there will be more, or maybe less as I get to know the car a bit better. Its a hoot to drive and coming from an 04 E320 it has all the bells and whistles I could ever want!

Thanks folks.

Keith
15 or 15.5? 15.5 onward require a subscription to use remote start...Total B.S. Remote start isn't available on the factory remote, and you can either pay $500 to get a new remote programmed, or about the same for a few year subscription to Volvo On Call App.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks. Seems weird to me that a 4 year old car would have issues with the battery, so thought it may be something more.

15 or 15.5? 15.5 onward require a subscription to use remote start...Total B.S. Remote start isn't available on the factory remote, and you can either pay $500 to get a new remote programmed, or about the same for a few year subscription to Volvo On Call App.
I will be honest, I am unsure which I have. Based on the subscription comment though, I am not that interested in the remote start enough to have one! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Low battery message means you have a Low Battery.
True. The message is correct. I have had this message on my 2015 V60 Polestar since new. First time 2 days after delivery ( after a 200 mile delivery trip, which should have fully charged the battery).New battery fitted by Volvo.

If unused for only a few days, I get the message. The voltage measured with a multimeter is indeed low. Tallies perfectly with the voltage indicated by a plug in voltmeter I have in in the centre console. The Volvo tell me that plug in voltmeter isn't indicating the actual battery voltage as it's not directly connected to the battery.

Time and time again the Volvo dealer has looked at it; never finding a problem. Their latest theory was that the charging circuitry is "very smart" and only charges the battery to a level determined by my useage pattern !! I think that is a load of ***************** !!!

From my boat ownership experience, where battery voltage and health can be critical, I'd expect the voltage after a reasonable journey to be at least 12.7V "at rest". More often than not, it's closer to 12.1V on the V60.

The battery will accept a full charge from a smart charger, but it drops off. Something is causing battery drain, but the dealer/ VIDA can't find it.

To reassure you, even with the voltage as low as 11.7V the car has never failed to start. I keep a high power Li-ion jump start pack in the back, just in case.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is great information. I'd like to have the remote start feature on my car. So if I am understanding this correctly, one could pay $500 to Volvo to allow their phone to start their vehicle via app? I guess that would make more sense than getting another key fob programmed as it would likely be even more money to have duplicate fobs synced to the car (I always like to have a spare).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True. The message is correct. I have had this message on my 2015 V60 Polestar since new. First time 2 days after delivery ( after a 200 mile delivery trip, which should have fully charged the battery).New battery fitted by Volvo.

If unused for only a few days, I get the message. The voltage measured with a multimeter is indeed low. Tallies perfectly with the voltage indicated by a plug in voltmeter I have in in the centre console. The Volvo tell me that plug in voltmeter isn't indicating the actual battery voltage as it's not directly connected to the battery.
This is good to know and explains a bit better than "it means the voltage is low". I stayed in the car today for a few minutes with the radio on as i hadn't exited, and the car told me it was going to shut the music off due to the low battery charge. Disappointing for such an expensive vehicle!

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
This is great information. I'd like to have the remote start feature on my car. So if I am understanding this correctly, one could pay $500 to Volvo to allow their phone to start their vehicle via app? I guess that would make more sense than getting another key fob programmed as it would likely be even more money to have duplicate fobs synced to the car (I always like to have a spare).

You must own a 15.5 or newer and then you can buy the subscription. http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9888/~/volvo-on-call-subscription-overview-and-pricing

You could also buy a new key fob where Volvo programs it and that'll allow you to remote start via a key fob.

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
This is good to know and explains a bit better than "it means the voltage is low". I stayed in the car today for a few minutes with the radio on as i hadn't exited, and the car told me it was going to shut the music off due to the low battery charge. Disappointing for such an expensive vehicle!
If your car is still under warranty take it in and have the battery checked - you might be able to get a new one for free. My P* is on it's second battery as is our XC60. My guess is it was a supplier issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your car is still under warranty take it in and have the battery checked - you might be able to get a new one for free. My P* is on it's second battery as is our XC60. My guess is it was a supplier issue.
I have a full warranty for it till 75000 miles but if its a known problem and won't cause it not to start I am not too bothered right now.

Any idea how I will know if its a 15 or 15.5?

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
I have a full warranty for it till 75000 miles but if its a known problem and won't cause it not to start I am not too bothered right now.

Any idea how I will know if its a 15 or 15.5?
If you have a Polestar engineered car then it will be a '15.5 - the engineered cars did not come to the States until then. If you have a Polestar optimized S60 RD or V60 RD then it may be a '15 or a '15.5 if it is a MY15 car. The primary difference between the '15 and '15.5 cars is the Sensus infotainment system. If you see a globe in the upper righthand corner of the center stack then you have a '15.5 car. There are more significant differences between a Polestar engineered car and an optimized one.

If you are getting a warning and it doesn't go away after several starts and drives then I would take it in - don't ignore it, you're battery may in fact be dying and you don't want the car to not start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a Polestar engineered car then it will be a '15.5 - the engineered cars did not come to the States until then. If you have a Polestar optimized S60 RD or V60 RD then it may be a '15 or a '15.5 if it is a MY15 car. The primary difference between the '15 and '15.5 cars is the Sensus infotainment system. If you see a globe in the upper righthand corner of the center stack then you have a '15.5 car. There are more significant differences between a Polestar engineered car and an optimized one.

If you are getting a warning and it doesn't go away after several starts and drives then I would take it in - don't ignore it, you're battery may in fact be dying and you don't want the car to not start.
Just drove 600 miles this weekend and the battery is struggling, CEL came on after it took 3-4 tries for it to start. Taking it in next week. Sad face.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE

Was driving on the highway and the car died completely. Had it towed to the dealership and have been told it “threw timing” and may need a new engine at worst, and a new valve cover at best. I only owned the car for two weeks before this happened so needless to say I am not happy. Not really sure what to do at this point, if they can’t fix I am sure the lemon law will apply, but I am not 100% sure.

Thoughts?!

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
Sorry to hear of this - must be pretty serious as I've never heard of a 3 liter six "throwing timing".

Lemon law on a used car? Did you get some type of warranty from the place you bought it from?

Again, is your car a '15 or a '15.5? Is it a Polestar optimized car or a Polestar engineered one?

Good luck getting this sorted out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Whoa, sorry to hear about this. How many miles are on your new-to-you Polestar? Hopefully you're under warranty. Was all maintenance done at a Volvo dealership?

In any case I hope they step up and help you out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was smart enough to get a warranty and the mileage was at around 36k.

It is #35/80 so is a genuine 2015.5 P* vehicle. I got it through CarMax, and they sent it to Volvo in an attempt to have them fix it based on the low mileage under Volvo’s factory warranty. They said “nope” so now it’s down to CarMax to fix....

I have investigated the lemon law, and think this falls under it should they not be able to complete repairs. I thank Doug Demuro as he said he buys all his cars from their and gets the warranty as it covers everything at a really good price.

More to follow.

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
Have only read of one other inline 6 Polestar that needed a new motor thus far - a few years ago. That one IIRC threw a rod or something like that and needed a replacement motor.

Odd that Volvo's new car warranty would not cover this as the car should still be within time/mileage.

·
Registered
297 Posts

It is #35/80 so is a genuine 2015.5 P* vehicle. I got it through CarMax, and they sent it to Volvo in an attempt to have them fix it based on the low mileage under Volvo’s factory warranty. They said “nope” so now it’s down to CarMax to fix....

I have investigated the lemon law, and think this falls under it should they not be able to complete repairs. I thank Doug Demuro as he said he buys all his cars from their and gets the warranty as it covers everything at a really good price.

More to follow.
Sorry you're going through this. Good luck!
I assume Volvo is not covering it despite, being it being under 50K miles, it is presumably over 4 years (48 months) old? Otherwise it should still be covered under warranty, unless I am missing something here?

·
Registered
8,240 Posts

More to follow.
You are in Virginia and Lemon Law Applies doesn't seem applicable: https://www.theconsumerlawgroup.com/blog/some-used-cars-are-covered-by-virginia-s-lemon-law.cfm

My guess, you'd need to prove the selling dealer defrauded you by covering up the repair if this applies to have any recourse.

Used Cars and the Lemon Law

After taking possession of a used car you have purchased, if you discover a defect or a condition, including those that do not affect the driveability of the vehicle, that significantly impairs its use, market value, or safety, you may have cause for a Lemon Law claim, but only under the following conditions:

The vehicle is still under the manufacturer’s original factory warranty

The warranty has not been in effect for more than 18 months beginning with the date the warranty was first started

·
Registered
8,240 Posts

More to follow.
FYI: Maxcare seems to have abysmal ratings....https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/maxcare-auto-warranty.html?page=2#sort=top_reviews&filter=none

1 - 20 of 29 Posts