SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an S60 T5 two weeks ago. Today, I received a call from the dealer telling me that there is a recall and to "bring the car in asap". I inquired about the reason for the recall and the service rep said "they only said that it was a software update". When I asked why a software update would require an ASAP Recall, I was put on hold. When the rep returned , he said that it was a Sensus 3.0 update.

Does that make sense? A recall for a feature that was previously only available during a service appointment? Huh? I wonder if something else is afoot.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
From what i've read, there are 3 or 4 recalls, ie "campaigns" as volvo calls them. Most of the "campaigns" have been for ground wires, safety stickers etc. I know there is a software upgrade available for sensus, but didn't know this got upgraded to a recall...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Page to check for recalls with the VIN:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/pages/recallinformation.aspx

Note that shows one for my S60 (a label for the non-existent spre ire) and there are a couple others I know about
that it does not show (that I have not had done). The page also has phone numbers you can call and check. There is
also a form to send to Volvo with questions. You could send them your VIN and they will email you back the answer to any
questions. In my experience, the response come back pretty fast.

Also, Sensus 3.0 is not a recall. It is a feature update.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks for the info. MY SRS light came on yesterday. I wasn planning to take it in anyway, but this helps the techs to look and should save me some time waiting for them to diagnoise and fix the issues.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thanks for the info. MY SRS light came on yesterday. I wasn planning to take it in anyway, but this helps the techs to look and should save me some time waiting for them to diagnoise and fix the issues.
Are you using a windshield sun screen by any chance?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Page to check for recalls with the VIN:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/pages/recallinformation.aspx

Note that shows one for my S60 (a label for the non-existent spre ire) and there are a couple others I know about
that it does not show (that I have not had done). The page also has phone numbers you can call and check. There is
also a form to send to Volvo with questions. You could send them your VIN and they will email you back the answer to any
questions. In my experience, the response come back pretty fast.

Also, Sensus 3.0 is not a recall. It is a feature update.
Thanks! I called the number on the Volvo Recall Page and spoke to a Cust Serv Rep. They told me that it's not a recall. but a service campaign. In this case, it's simply a notice to upgrade to Sensus 3.0.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
How would that cause the SRS light? (Just out of curiousity).
The City Safe system is part of the SRS system. I was getting the SRS light from time to time and the code indicated a loss of communications with the City Safe module (located in the base of the rear view mirror). Of coarse communications were always good every time I brought the car in so the dealer just noted the code, cleared it and sent me on my way. It wasn't until later that I noticed a correlation between getting the SRS warning light and using my sun shield. I'm guessing the sun shield is causing the City Safe module to overheat and malfunction until it cools down. I've stopped using the the shield and I've have not seen the warning light since.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i`m guessing all the issues are in the T5 models ???

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yes, Its a volvo sun shade.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yes, Its a volvo sun shade.
My initial one was a generic, then switched to the Volvo sun shade but still had an issue. These were both reflective. I have not tried a non reflective sun shade yet but that was my next step before I was lucky enough to now park in a garage for work. Hopefully Volvo will investigated this issue and offer a fix. Sun shades help so much keeping the dash cool allowing the AC to cool down the interior so much faster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
An alternative to the sun shade is a tint. I have the Llumar Air Blue 80 on the windshield and it really helps. I don't even mess with a shade and I live in So Cal (+100F today). It reduces the UV 99% and the heat rejection is 43%. It's basically clear and after a while you don't even remember you are looking through a tint. Not as effective or cheap as a shield but 100% more convenient IMO.

·
Registered
687 Posts
An alternative to the sun shade is a tint. I have the Llumar Air Blue 80 on the windshield and it really helps. I don't even mess with a shade and I live in So Cal (+100F today). It reduces the UV 99% and the heat rejection is 43%. It's basically clear and after a while you don't even remember you are looking through a tint. Not as effective or cheap as a shield but 100% more convenient IMO.
nice i`m going to check in to this stuff for my cars

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I already have the windows tinted, Llumar CTX 15 Ceramic Tint. I like the sunshade to cut down on the heat coming in from the windshield. I also prefer not to burn my hands on the steering wheel after the car sits in the SoCal sun all day. Every little bit helps to reduce the interior heat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts