SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-design

Rims: Team Dynamic Racing 1.2 18x8 40mm+. They used to be on my 09' S40 R-Design, a much smaller and lighter car.

The rims are also fairly light for 18 inches - 19.2 lbs per. After I sold the S40 and swapped the rims, I noticed, each spoke on the rim seems to be cracking slightly perpendicular to the spoke at the base. It is happening on all four, on about 80% of them. They were fine for about 3-4 months, then they all got really bad.

I dismounted them from the tire to see the damage and put the stock OEM rims and tires back on. This is what we found.

Cracked through the aluminum, same direction. I am going to assume structural but here is my question. Can I salvage these(weld, sand, re-balance)? Do I have an arguing point with Viva Performance (distributor) or TDR (manufacturer) because this is not supposed to happen :facepalm:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dave

I have that exact set of rims on my (Ember Black) 2011 T6 AWD, other than mine are stock +52mm offset. I took them off a couple of weeks ago to switch to the stock rims with winter tires. Just went out to the garage and checked my TDR's and not a single spoke is exhibiting the crack that you are seeing.

I would suspect a manufacturing defect and contact either Viva or better yet TDR directly. I think TDR have an office in the USA but my impression was that it was basically a sales office only. My rims were custom made and shipped from their head office in the UK and you'd probably get better help contacting them there directly.

2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-design

Rims: Team Dynamic Racing 1.2 18x8 40mm+. They used to be on my 09' S40 R-Design, a much smaller and lighter car.

The rims are also fairly light for 18 inches - 19.2 lbs per. After I sold the S40 and swapped the rims, I noticed, each spoke on the rim seems to be cracking slightly perpendicular to the spoke at the base. It is happening on all four, on about 80% of them. They were fine for about 3-4 months, then they all got really bad.

I dismounted them from the tire to see the damage and put the stock OEM rims and tires back on. This is what we found.

Cracked through the aluminum, same direction. I am going to assume structural but here is my question. Can I salvage these(weld, sand, re-balance)? Do I have an arguing point with Viva Performance (distributor) or TDR (manufacturer) because this is not supposed to happen :facepalm:

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Congrats on the new RD - looks really sharp with those wheels! That said, I'd probably return the wheels to the manufacturer and get a new set. I don't think they can be fixed to be like new and I wouldn't be driving on them at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts