SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a high mileage 2003 from a member here it's been lifted using xc90 struts. I have cleaned it up a bit, I ordered some. Fluids and parts from ipd. The cars seems to run fine. I have 3 issues that I am trying to sort out. The first is , it needs exhaust manifold gaskets . The stealership wants 750 for this, is this a job I can Do with basic hand tools in my garage? I am a decent parts changer but it looks like a ton of things need to moved to get to them. Second more annoying issue is that the CCM has been changed. The ac doesn't work and I am not sure if anything does what it supposed to in terms of what buttons do what. All I know is it is hot as hell as the time. Any suggestions as to what is happening? It seems like the temp control is useless and he air doesn't seem to go from different vents. This I can deal with as it going to get cold here in VT. And lastly the problem that I think has e potential to bite me is the ass is the front dif. It seems when I turn the wheel all the way to make a sharp turn, the front wheels hop like I was driving a jeep on dry pavement in 4x4. It's almost like its a locked axle. I am not sure if this is normal , or if the strut/ larger tire combo is the issue? I have not had my wife in it to test this out as I walk next to the wheels. Anyways I am sure to have a ton of questions . Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh you bought that really extreme 4x4'd out build I checked out when I was researching how to approach mine. Cool.

As for the wheel hop, I mean when you do what you described--turning the wheel to full lock I assume-- you essentially are driving a jeep in 4x4 on dry pave the way that thing is built. I get a very small amount of that same behavior on my XC with stock size tires and no lift. I have always attributed it to the two front wheels both turning and torquing simultaneously at slightly different radiuses, though I could be wrong. Maybe a front alignment issue? Have you checked alignment? Are their other issues during normal driving at less extreme angles that speak to a front end problem?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The last one sounds like a CV issue... There's no locking diff in the car, it's open. Maybe the suspension lift is messing with the suspension geometry enough to over-exert the axles?

Exhaust manifold gaskets aren't hard... they're just not fun. All that really comes off is the turbo heat shield... You can leave the turbo in place if you want... Just unbolt it from the manifold. Lots of random extensions and u-joints for a 1/4 drive are your friend in that case.
You can get the individual gaskets ones or get a one piece. If you go individual get 2 packs... If they don't seal the first time it's started they are trashed.

The CCM depends on options IIRC. Get a scan with VIDA and see what comes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only other thing I would complain about would be that the steering is a bit sloppy. I have read that it a " thing " with Volvos. I would also be naive if at 192k miles I though all would still be nice and tight. When I had it inspected , dealer stated that front sway bar links were very sloppy I have ordered replacements. That may fix some of the slop , but probably not all of it. I will attach a few pics. I will add a basket at some point as young satchel, and wrap it in the spring.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
You need an external image host. Then it's [ IMG ]imageurl[ /IMG ] get rid of the spaces.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
If you're going to DIY as much as possible on your Volvo then you'll need a VIDA/DiCE hook-up. Black market units can be had for $80-200USD depending on the source. You can search for more information on the software and unit. This would be the only way to properly diagnose/service your CCM issue. It's possible that it just needs to be calibrated.

Exhaust manifold gasket, although not required, I'd remove the turbo completely. The turbo is supported in place by the exhaust manifold, by unbolting the turbo and not disconnecting the coolant/oil lines you run the risk of damaging them.

Sloppy end links? If end links are "sloppy" they will clunk or click when the vehicle is side loaded. The sloppy handling is coming from the suspension geometry from the lift, as well as the high profile tires that are fitted to the wheels.

How To Post Images:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-in-a-thread&p=1698912&viewfull=1#post1698912

1 - 8 of 8 Posts