SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
04 XC70 16T, Stage 3 Hilton Tuning, D088 Intercooler and piping, Rollin Motor DPing
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a XC70 2004 Black with Tan interior. I'm here to learn more about how to upgrade it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
#1, Volvo says your transmission fluid is "lifetime fluid". It isn't. A corollary is that if it has never been changed, its probably a bad idea to get it flushed. Doing multiple drain-n-fill with some miles in btw is the better method.

Also, posting mileage always helps. After 11 years, one would hope that the timing belt/tensioner/idler pulley have been changed too...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
#3: post pictures. Otherwise it doesn't exist ;-)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
and more details like the MILEAGE would help

·
Registered
64 Posts
I actually saw you post this and went out and did that glove test, and the glove did blow up. So it's clooged, is the pcv an easy fix

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I just bought a XC70 2004 Black with Tan interior. I'm here to learn more about how to upgrade it.
STAGE 0

STAGE 0

STAGE 0

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/stage-0.html
How To Do Stage 0

In rough order of importance:

spark plugs (Spark plug tutorials: Volvo 850, XC90, S40/V40, torque specs on 5-cyl, which plugs to buy?)
cap/rotor Cap & rotor DIY: Volvo 850 & S70, V70, XC70, C70 up to ’98* & install MSD ignition
coils for 1999+ Volvos V70 2001+ coils DIY
oil/oil filter (Oil change tutorial 2001+, Oil change tutorial up to 1998*)
transmission fluid flush or drain and fill 2001+ (read about the trans flush pros/cons)
vacuum lines and elbows: white plastic and black rubber
software updates via VIDA or VADIS — these used to be dealer-only services
radiator hoses: medium gauge black rubber hoses
air filter: K&N air filters for Volvos discussion and see K&N filters on Amazon
plug wires make a bigger difference than you’d think: we recommend OEM/Bougiecord
braking: overhaul DIY, brake line replacement, brake fluid theory (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, etc.)
clean the fussy PCV system
N/A cars: check your airbox for stuck flap (very common! big difference!)
clean intercooler and its plumbing
clean injectors (Injector refurbish thread)
fuel filter replacement (on 2001+, on 850, on pre-2001 AWD, on 740)
fuel pump(s): depends on how far you want to go – they tend to either work or not
I'd also add:
Compression Test
AWD Fluids

then if there is money left

Suspension Rebuild
IPD Sway Bars :cool:
Transmission Cooler w/inline filter

then you can look into engine performance :D

PS, update you signature with your vehicle information.

I actually saw you post this and went out and did that glove test, and the glove did blow up. So it's clooged, is the pcv an easy fix
No... yes... well it depends on your patience and skill level. It's a process, just get in there and do it, you'll learn tons about your engine along the way (especially if you eff something up), and realize that they are not that hard to work around. Tons of information on the net reguarding PCV replacement, search and you will find. Only suggestion is to buy all new parts and use a torque wrench.

Also, let me introduce you to Howward's Site: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

·
Registered
04 XC70 16T, Stage 3 Hilton Tuning, D088 Intercooler and piping, Rollin Motor DPing
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My skill level is pretty high and once I get a chance I'll post a picture of my car. The car runs good and no leaks. I plan on changing all the fluids and timing belt soon.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Damn Antherzoll, stage 0 looks more intimidating than I thought listed out like that. I've only done about half that list if that since I've had the car. I'll never get a tune at this rate. ;)

Edit: actually I just re-read and bar all the vac hoses, intercoolr stuff, Injectors, and brake maintenance I'm not as far off as I thought.

Gotta do the stupid glove test just to check that out. No mechanic has ever mentioned issues with it to me but I understand its a bit of a "sleeper"problem area.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#1, Volvo says your transmission fluid is "lifetime fluid". It isn't. A corollary is that if it has never been changed, its probably a bad idea to get it flushed. Doing multiple drain-n-fill with some miles in btw is the better method.

Also, posting mileage always helps. After 11 years, one would hope that the timing belt/tensioner/idler pulley have been changed too...
The car has been maintained at the Volvo dealership for most of its maintenance.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The car has been maintained at the Volvo dealership for most of its maintenance.
So?
I can't tell you how many excellent 5 cylinder Volvos with 90K miles that I have bought that have excellent service records done by the book.
Unfortunately the book is wrong!
First: these engine NEED synthetic oil and Volvo dealers did not use synthetic until very recently
Next: 7500 miles is way too long a duration for a dino oil change for this engine, which tend to sludge, so the odds of a clogged breather system is very high!
Last: If this XC was a low speed putterer around town, that make it even worse.
They need to be highway driven for at least an hour and especially in the winter to get the oil HOT and burn off all the carbon and crud that accumlulates

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far from what I've checked out on the car everything is ok I'll dig deeper once I get some free time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check the stage 0 stuff and then lift it! If your skill level is high, then I would grab a set of lift springs, struts, control arms, 28.5" tires, strut mounts, and a stage 1 tune from Hilton. Solid setup ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yo! Gearheadny, You're back. Came across an old thread of yours and Been wondering how you're lift is doing. Got my springs but haven't installed yet. How has the ride been? any major premature component wear or failure? Feel free to respond on my build thread so as not to derail this guys too. Thanks man...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check the stage 0 stuff and then lift it! If your skill level is high, then I would grab a set of lift springs, struts, control arms, 28.5" tires, strut mounts, and a stage 1 tune from Hilton. Solid setup ;)
Imma pass on the lift kit but the other stuff Imma look into. Yours does look good though. I got a blazer for off-road adventures

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how can u download pictures on here

1 - 20 of 24 Posts