SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Inscription is having work done on it at port and my wife is starting to get a little nervous. She seems to think if we get this vehicle it won't ever be the way it was intended to be! They so far have replaced the hood latch, flex ray module and are going to install a new dash (because the leather was wrinkled). Anyone else had this happen or options would be welcome? The dealer is really sorry for the hold up and has even offered to find us the same build for our troubles. I know their doing all they can possibly do at this point!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The dealer is really sorry for the hold up and has even offered to find us the same build for our troubles. I know their doing all they can possibly do at this point!
Correct me if I'm wrong, they are going to give you a new one that has the exact spec as your Inscription right? If the answer is yes then I say take the offer... that's what we did. Funny you mentioned your wife because my wife was saying the same thing... women are such a worrier. JK! hahaha!

·
Registered
130 Posts
We didn't even follow the process. Ordered, waited for the dealer to call.... probably better off that way.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Our Inscription is having work done on it at port and my wife is starting to get a little nervous. She seems to think if we get this vehicle it won't ever be the way it was intended to be! They so far have replaced the hood latch, flex ray module and are going to install a new dash (because the leather was wrinkled). Anyone else had this happen or options would be welcome? The dealer is really sorry for the hold up and has even offered to find us the same build for our troubles. I know their doing all they can possibly do at this point!
What is a flex ray module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
-if offered a new choice in vehicle...skip everything and you should go with this. Easy peasy.

if not offered a new vehicle, you and the mrs should not have to worry. The thought of a new dashboard etc is scary if this was done at a dealership service center. As you can not quite mimic the quality of the factory in terms of workmanship. However this is at port where they have the best in the biz when it comes to making sure all vehicles unloaded after their precarious travel are brought to precise spec. These people are truly one of kind in terms of their workmanship, repairing everything that gets damaged on the vehicle while traveling on rough waters in a big metal box. If you see the reviews and tours by other mfgs who deal with a similar setup you`d be amazed.

Either way you will be golden

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer explained it as it communicates with the other modules but has nothing to do with safety or mechanics of the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Coolasice, great user name! I appreciate all of your opinions and know we will be pleased in the long run. Most of our friends are saying they wouldn't take it because it wasn't right from the factory! Volvo IMO needs to have the XC90 and the new SPA format a hit, or it will be disaster for the company.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
-However this is at port where they have the best in the biz when it comes to making sure all vehicles unloaded after their precarious travel are brought to precise spec. These people are truly one of kind in terms of their workmanship, repairing everything that gets damaged on the vehicle while traveling on rough waters in a big metal box. If you see the reviews and tours by other mfgs who deal with a similar setup you`d be amazed.

Either way you will be golden
I am quite surprised you know that. Indeed, the port processing centers employ among the best people in the industry; these people are truly artisans.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grecian Volvo,

I've been following this forum before I placed my order on 8/7/15. I respect all of your knowledge from all of the earlier posts you've made, so ease my mind on this one. Do you feel our new car will be as good as new, or should we let the dealer order a new Inscription for us? Also, how big a job will replacing the leather dash be and will they make it look factory like? I know Volvo is a great company or we would've looked elsewhere. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I guess a good question to ask is this : how do you know the newly ordered car won't require work done at the port?

·
Registered
962 Posts
if they're taking apart the dash you must walk away... you will have rattles and creaks and broken plastic tabs among other things. i would wait for one without issue.
please post the vin of the one at port being dismantled so others may be aware of it's history.

I guess a good question to ask is this : how do you know the newly ordered car won't require work done at the port?
nope, but the probability is low while the certainty of the current one is 100%.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm kind of with you Icon! We were initially worried about rattles and such, the thought of spending 64k on a brand new vehicle that has had the leather dash, flex ray module and hood latch is a little unnerving. I know the guys at port are well qualified but it still makes us sick after waiting 3 months!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
if they're taking apart the dash you must walk away... you will have rattles and creaks and broken plastic tabs among other things. i would wait for one without issue.
please post the vin of the one at port being dismantled so others may be aware of it's history.

nope, but the probability is low while the certainty of the current one is 100%.
Today's methods and quality of parts are just night and day vs those of many decades ago where such symptoms occurred, when a dash was removed.

Even back in the late '90s, many dashes from the Volvo 850s were removed due to evaporator repairs/replacements. These were done at the retailer level and no rattles or squeaks occurred thereafter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grecian,

Thanks for the reply on this matter. We just didn't want our first Volvo experience to start out like this!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The hood latch is a tiny plastic item in the cabin - mine came with the cable loose and I sorted it myself. I then told my dealer about it and he went and checked the other car they had ready for delivery and it had the same issue - maybe Volvo has recalled the part or maybe they are just reattaching the cable properly.

Any electronic module should have no bearing on how the vehicle feels - it's like replacing the intervals of your phone - you wouldn't know / care.

The only issue is the dash: if they replace it with an OEM dash from Volvo then I see no issues as they wont have rattles or anything. Sure, several years ago you could have dramas but I am responsible for a fleet of 500+ cars at work and we have had the central console and dashes removed in most in order to install a bunch of add-ons required in our line of work. All new vehicles fare just fine with this and you wouldn't know.

However, if they are planning on repairing your factory dash with aftermarket leather, I would say definitely no.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feli,
Thanks for the reply. I think the dealer said they would fly the new dash over but he didn't say anything about OEM. I can't imagine with that Inscription leather they would try to use aftermarket. Another guy told me to make sure the dash change out would make it on the car fax for that particular vin. I can't imagine that would be listed on a car fax!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Concern: The port could not release the vehicle to dealer since the vehicle has been found below the quality requirements set in place by Volvo
Solution: The port, which acts like a secondary factory unit, will bring the vehicle up to standards using techniques approved from the factory and Original Equipment parts.

In this scenario, which is the Rolex80s scenario, the port will adhere to stringent quality standards in terms of resolving the solution.

To those unaware, and to those aware, vehicle shipping is precarious. These things have to sustain being organized in a tight space next to each other with oceanic weather conditions. Translation: Things get tossed around like a beanie. Imagine tossing a full size CUV. Not fun, nor safe. So when they are offloaded at port, Volvo has to prepare for the worst.

Damaged wheels, cracked windshields, body damage, interior damage of sorts, complete subframe damage, roof damage, engine replacements. These are just some things Volvo has to be prepared to deal with it. In addition, Volvo has to deal with alot of vehicles each week. So the people working at these Vehicle Processing Centers (VPC) have to be highly qualified, and highly competent or the number of the new weekly threads about crappy new vehicles would be stunning.

Anyways I dont think anyone has posted similar, but I`ll post a thread about the BMW VPC which is about the same thing for any automaker who imports some model to the US.
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

As you can see MFGs deal with vehicle issues at port on a daily basis. The magical number I believe is 3% or above damage usually gets reported to dealers but otherwise engine replacements etc fly below the radar in this link. However I know this has changed to a greater amount these days. And NO these reports are never released to anyone but internal reports of the MFG and the shipping company. So time comes to sell the ole XC, no one will know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you for sharing Coolasice, This is great information. I had no idea of the type of work they do at the port.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Vin# YV4A22PL2G1030371

I'm kind of with you Icon! We were initially worried about rattles and such, the thought of spending 64k on a brand new vehicle that has had the leather dash, flex ray module and hood latch is a little unnerving. I know the guys at port are well qualified but it still makes us sick after waiting 3 months!
I agree 100%. Again... I am very pendantic and borderline OCD when it comes to my cars and I would refuse delivery of the vehicle. While the employees at the port are very good and better than most dealerships I would still be concerned with plastic bits being taken apart and put back together. NOTHING will fit the way it did when it originally went in. I don't care how good the tech is. first fit is the best fit.

Today's methods and quality of parts are just night and day vs those of many decades ago where such symptoms occurred, when a dash was removed.
my experience with volvo is limited... i only owned one and it was a bertone back in the 90's so my experience is mainly with german vehicles and work done on them. NOTHING ever goes back together like it did at the factory. factory installs from new. never to be taken apart again or if so years down the road. very few vehicles these days (outside of purpose built track cars) are assembled with repair in mind. tabs break, clips get lost, screws are not tightened as well as they should be and so on and so forth. while your confidence may be very high from your experience my outlook is very pessimistic based on my experience. your new car is already taken apart and repaired before you even got to sit in it. that alone would kill the mood for me and make me want to look for another xc90.

Anyways I dont think anyone has posted similar, but I`ll post a thread about the BMW VPC which is about the same thing for any automaker who imports some model to the US.
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm
here i have to agree... bmw's vpc/port work is top notch especially the body work. they repaint panels and bumper that look damn near factory and would never know unless you put a meter on it but again i wouldn't want a vehicle that has been painted twice before i even sat in it once. even though the car is new i always ask the sales person or sales manager to meter the vehicle. a lot can happen between europe and my dealership.

·
Registered
344 Posts
^ True, but the fact of the matter is the stringent quality standards are not really up for question. New Part = new plastic clips that secure everything. Piece of mind is a different story. Hence why if offered I`d feel better at night not knowing what changes my new vehicle has gone through then actually knowing changes were done to rectify any future problems.

Either way besides the piece of mind the vehicle should be fine

1 - 20 of 52 Posts