SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XC40 develops what I would call a "nervous" ride at 70 miles per hour. It's like a switch is flipped. At 68 and 69 mph it's pretty smooth. At 70 mph I get a weird vibration in the floor, pedals and steering wheel.

• I thought is was wheels out of balance. The dealership balanced the wheels but the problem persists.
  • It's not the road as the problem happens on even the most perfect and smooth highways
  • The dealership rotated the tires front to back. I think this made the problem worse. Now, in addition to the vibrations there's a low rumble or roar
  • The dealership tried to tell me "when they ship the cars over they strap them down... maybe you have flat spots". Uh... really guy? I have 6,000 miles on the car. Any flats spots would be worked out by now and would not make themselves known at 70.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have 20" rims if that matters. The dealership said they might swap out the tires and rims to try to diagnose the isssue. Despite trying to get rid of me with the "flat spots" nonsense, they've actually been pretty great. The vibration is subtle and I don't want to trouble anyone if this is just the nature of this car.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Were they road-force balanced? That's necessary for 20+" wheels because of the additional mass.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
3,899 Posts
If it's speed interval related it's either the tire or the rim, the dealership messaed up

When they switched them and the problem got worse, it means the faulty tire is now up front, if its more pronounced. You either need to fix the rim or tire or have it replaced entirely.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was having issues, but at the 10k service had the tires rotated and balanced, tire pressure adjusted, and warped front rotors replaced. No issues now. I think the warped rotors may have been a contributing factor.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
My XC40 develops what I would call a "nervous" ride at 70 miles per hour. It's like a switch is flipped. At 68 and 69 mph it's pretty smooth. At 70 mph I get a weird vibration in the floor, pedals and steering wheel.

• I thought is was wheels out of balance. The dealership balanced the wheels but the problem persists.
  • It's not the road as the problem happens on even the most perfect and smooth highways
  • The dealership rotated the tires front to back. I think this made the problem worse. Now, in addition to the vibrations there's a low rumble or roar
  • The dealership tried to tell me "when they ship the cars over they strap them down... maybe you have flat spots". Uh... really guy? I have 6,000 miles on the car. Any flats spots would be worked out by now and would not make themselves known at 70.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have 20" rims if that matters. The dealership said they might swap out the tires and rims to try to diagnose the isssue. Despite trying to get rid of me with the "flat spots" nonsense, they've actually been pretty great. The vibration is subtle and I don't want to trouble anyone if this is just the nature of this car.
Take the car back into the dealer and ask a tech to do a ride along with you to replicate the problem:

Possible issues include:

1. Bent Rim
2. Tire Issue

etc

·
3,899 Posts
Drive shaft? Someone on here had one fall off while driving.
it probably isn't, stated, they rotated the tires and the problem got worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dealership tried to tell me "when they ship the cars over they strap them down... maybe you have flat spots". Uh... really guy? I have 6,000 miles on the car. Any flats spots would be worked out by now and would not make themselves known at 70.
That's just short of telling you to f**k off. Kinda a dead end really. Try a different dealer. Then call Volvo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's just short of telling you to f**k off. Kinda a dead end really. Try a different dealer. Then call Volvo.
I feel the exact same way. Tires/Wheels swapped, road forced balanced. Went to a different dealership. Said, within specs. NO.. this is not normal. I never experienced service departments at other dealers that work the way Volvo's do. Car wouldnt be ready same day. Do they call? NO.. I had to call after waiting around all day. BOTH dealership service departments lack communication skills. I just sent two more messages to Volvo customer service. They refuse to put a different brand tire on and driving this car at 68-70 is literally aggravating me. Sometimes it even works its way into my ears from the harmonic vibration. Unacceptable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The field tech said this rumbling is from "the torque converter in lockup mode dependng on the load" Whatever it is, its uncomfortable to drive long distances. If they can make other models without causing this vibration, then they should do the same for the XC40. This is something that needs to be rectified with this model. Disappointed that there is no fix

·
Registered
60 Posts

I have had this exact same issue for the past 18 months with my XC90. Never had vibration as you describe between 70 - 80 mph when we drove the car in Europe (OSD), but once after 10k service here in US, vibration problems. Dealer would say vibration is b/c winter tires are on aftermarket rims, but now that we are back on Volvo 21" rims, still have the vibration.

Every time car is serviced (just had 40k service), I ask for technician to inspect for vibration. They cannot feel the vibration as it is impossible to get car up to 70 mph in the area around the service center (suburbs of NJ). I feel the vibration daily when driving on highway above 70 mph.

Technician says XC90s are a heavy car and they tend to vibrate. Funny that I don't hear about vibration on pickup trucks or Chevy Suburbans.

Many technical service bulletins exist to address vibration. Have brought these in for service center to review and have been met with a polite acknowledgement of my concerns, bur have never been adequately addressed. Not that happy with the vibration ruining an otherwise fantastic ride. See this link for assistance on advising your service center on course of action - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?590609-Ongoing-ride-quality-vibrations%85anyone-have-a-similar-issue-that-actually-got-resolved&p=7223107&viewfull=1#post7223107

Good luck. I know it's frustrating as I live with it every day.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have had this exact same issue for the past 18 months with my XC90. Never had vibration as you describe between 70 - 80 mph when we drove the car in Europe (OSD), but once after 10k service here in US, vibration problems. Dealer would say vibration is b/c winter tires are on aftermarket rims, but now that we are back on Volvo 21" rims, still have the vibration.

Every time car is serviced (just had 40k service), I ask for technician to inspect for vibration. They cannot feel the vibration as it is impossible to get car up to 70 mph in the area around the service center (suburbs of NJ). I feel the vibration daily when driving on highway above 70 mph.

Technician says XC90s are a heavy car and they tend to vibrate. Funny that I don't hear about vibration on pickup trucks or Chevy Suburbans.

Many technical service bulletins exist to address vibration. Have brought these in for service center to review and have been met with a polite acknowledgement of my concerns, bur have never been adequately addressed. Not that happy with the vibration ruining an otherwise fantastic ride. See this link for assistance on advising your service center on course of action - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...got-resolved&p=7223107&viewfull=1#post7223107

Good luck. I know it's frustrating as I live with it every day.
I call BS on the dealer. I'd love to know which dealership in Northern NJ doesn't have a highway within a 10 minute drive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I call BS on the dealer. I'd love to know which dealership in Northern NJ doesn't have a highway within a 10 minute drive.
I agree, but the dealer has not offered to take the 15 minutes to drive out to I-280. Instead, we go to Eisenhower Pkwy to get five seconds of driving at 70 mph. Not ideal and not how I drive the car on the highway.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I agree, but the dealer has not offered to take the 15 minutes to drive out to I-280. Instead, we go to Eisenhower Pkwy to get five seconds of driving at 70 mph. Not ideal and not how I drive the car on the highway.
That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is the email I just got from Volvo. I responded and said I want an email stating exactly what the field tech told me regarding the torque converter. They are all such liars

Thank you for following up with us.

After discussing with our Field Rep who test drove with you today, it seems he did not feel any vibration or rumbling that is out of the designated characteristics of the vehicle. He did state he offered to test drive another XC40 in the dealership's lot with you that had the same feel your vehicle exhibits but you had declined. Considering our field technician has deemed the vehicle as operating as designed and the feel you are experiencing as a normal characteristic of the vehicle, it would not fall under either of the bulletins you had forwarded.

We have had this case escalated to the highest management within Volvo Car USA and a corporate technician to diagnose your concerns. Regrettably, we are unable to repurchase or replace your vehicle at this time. We have exhausted all resources in an attempt to assist you with this matter. We understand that we have not met your expectations with this and apologize for any additional inconvenience this may have caused.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts