SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
The problem is you dismiss people that actually work with the brand daily and other brands side-by-side. You’re saying Volvos are unreliable because certain things say they are and you can’t trust enthusiastic Volvo owners really is disingenuous. There are many stores that sell multiple luxury brand side-by-side meeting the service department has real actual hard numbers for repairs I Volvo a Mercedes AMG Audi and BMW side-by-side.
you go talk to one of those stores and sit down and look at things like warranty claims and fill your rates and I think you’ll find it at the Volvo‘s in the real world are significantly better than what those reliability rankings make them out to be. So many of those reliability surveys are goofy they don’t show you much. It’s really helpful when a company scores a software glitch for Apple CarPlay the same as an engine that needs replaced. I worked at a Lexus store for a long time and you know what those cars broke down all the time in the service bays were filled every day with broken cars. So what happened to all those magazines that said Lexes was just the pinnacle of reliability?
Until recently, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus sell 6x more cars than Volvo does. Even if the reliability is the same, you'd expect 6x more Mercedes/BMW/Lexus to come in for repairs strictly because there are 6x more of them. Are you suggesting that the ratio of those cars coming in was even more skewed compared to Volvo? I find that hard to believe since my local Volvo dealerships are packed to the gills to the point where there's a 2-month wait for loaners.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Until recently, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus sell 6x more cars than Volvo does. Even if the reliability is the same, you'd expect 6x more Mercedes/BMW/Lexus to come in for repairs strictly because there are 6x more of them. Are you suggesting that the ratio of those cars coming in was even more skewed compared to Volvo? I find that hard to believe since my local Volvo dealerships are packed to the gills to the point where there's a 2-month wait for loaners.
Not sure if routine maintenance, repairs, warranty work, or self paid but my dealer's also brimming at the Hat and is booked out on loaners and extremely behind. I know for a while they were understaffed which didn't help.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You can slice of the numbers to make it say whatever you want basically to prove your point of you. If you want to use the total number of cars sold in the equation to determine reliability you can or you can determine what is the average number of failures per car. Comparing big brands a little brands can be done in many different ways. All I know is someone that’s worked with a lot of luxury brands and owned an awful lot of Volvo‘s I don’t think there’s very much difference at all. In fact I had more problems with my Audis than I ever have with my Volvos

if you say the service department is full because there’s so many cars broken which is an indicator of how much they break that doesn’t mean anything. My dealer sells Jaguar Land Rover Volvo Infiniti Lexus Cadillac and Mini. They have over 75 loaner cars. It doesn’t matter what brand you bring it in there’s weeks and weeks and weeks of wait time for a loaner car or an appointment

·
Registered
473 Posts
if you say the service department is full because there’s so many cars broken which is an indicator of how much they break that doesn’t mean anything.
Uh...you're the one that suggested that equivalency...

I worked at a Lexus store for a long time and you know what those cars broke down all the time in the service bays were filled every day with broken cars. So what happened to all those magazines that said Lexes was just the pinnacle of reliability?
Or am I reading that wrong?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Uh...you're the one that suggested that equivalency...

Or am I reading that wrong?
The point was Volvos reliability wasn’t that different from Lexus. All brands are very similar. Do people realize all these service rankings are often comparing which car breaks 1-2 times more/less than another. It’s like ranking 1 through 10 by splitting hairs that have little real world relevance. All brands have their service bays full, because there are lots of cars sold. Sure, some brands tend to have certain areas that are a weekend. (Like power train or software or rust), but the reality is most brands are very similar in reliability. Those reliability surveys show exactly that. However some brands have a VERY different reliability when comparing when they are newer and when they have 100,000 miles on them. Now that is NOT the same.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
The point was Volvos reliability wasn’t that different from Lexus. All brands are very similar. Do people realize all these service rankings are often comparing which car breaks 1-2 times more/less than another. It’s like ranking 1 through 10 by splitting hairs that have little real world relevance. All brands have their service bays full, because there are lots of cars sold. Sure, some brands tend to have certain areas that are a weekend. (Like power train or software or rust), but the reality is most brands are very similar in reliability. Those reliability surveys show exactly that. However some brands have a VERY different reliability when comparing when they are newer and when they have 100,000 miles on them. Now that is NOT the same.
I think the better way of putting things is that "Luxury Brands" come with "Luxury Prices". When stuff breaks, it's far more expensive to repair a Volvo than a Toyota or Honda. Cars today have far more moving parts, electronics, and technology than vehicles 20 or 25 years ago.

Still, brands like Honda, Toyota, etc haven't escaped their own set of problems. Both have had piston / ring (oil consumption issues) that Volvo faced. Every car has their fail points or known defects. That being said, its still far cheaper to fix a broken Honda or Toyota than a Volvo, Audi, Porsche, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in an area with only one Volvo and one BMW dealer. I can say that routine maintenance costs on my 2019 v60CC have been significantly greater than for my BMW. For example the annual 16000km oil service is about 500 CDN vs about 200 for similar work on 6 cylinder 3 series. Of course these costs may be region and dealer dependent. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I live in an area with only one Volvo and one BMW dealer. I can say that routine maintenance costs on my 2019 v60CC have been significantly greater than for my BMW. For example the annual 16000km oil service is about 500 CDN vs about 200 for similar work on 6 cylinder 3 series. Of course these costs may be region and dealer dependent. YMMV.
If each of the first 3 annual service is 500CDN then it is rip off. The 4th one is more expensive but includes other fluid change.

Reactions: Mick22
21 - 29 of 29 Posts