SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Negative experience with Hilton Tuning!

7K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  chefricky 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everone.

For sometime now I've been looking for a good tune for my car and I finally got my eyes on Hilton Tuning, good reviews, can use Dice as a softloader, and I emailed Robert Hilton the owner before purchased the tune to get more information because there was not many information on his website and he gladly answered all my questions faithfully and fast, 2 days ago I finally purchased the Stage 1 tune + Torque Limiter Removal from him, flashed it and tested the car, torque limiter removal is working great but his tune has not changed my car performance in any way the boost is still the same as before 0.Bar which is the stock boost for the car,
And to make sure that the problem is not in my car, I disconnected one os the TSV hoses that controls the boost and the car boosted to 1Bar fine before Surging, Before making any conclusions I decided to Email him again and ask him why Is that, and Alas no reply, I emailed him again at the same time of the day I emailed him before just to make surr that he is not sleeping and BOOM still no reply which is odd because before he replied so fast? your ideas?

EDIT: He finally replied now I feel stupid, Sometimes my frustration gets the best if me.

#3 ·
Yeqh I regret even opening a thread about this, but sometimes when I get frustrated I stop thinking with my brain he actually replied and apologized for the delay and asked my to do some stuff to ensure everything is ok with my car before we continue exploring the problem

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well they asked me to adjust the wastegate and rest all codes in the car, could not adjust the wastegate as I dont have the tools nessacry but the waste is tighten as much as possible which I think wont make bposting more than 0.7 an issue, I ddi reset the codes but nothing changed, and now I am waiting for further instructions

#6 ·
Rob is the man! He'll get you set straight!

With my stage 3 tune it took me about 4-5 months from purchase to completion, through that time we worked through hardware issues (primarily wastegate issues) and tuning revisions. In the end he got it set straight and working perfectly.

Hilton Tuning is a side business for Rob so responses can be delayed. You have to respect the fact that you're dealing with him directly and he will examine the tune file personally and will tailor it your vehicle, this takes time. Other option is an off-the-shelf tune from RICA, IPD, BSR, or other tuners.

#7 ·
Yes I have no doubt we will finally determine the problem, I have searched so much for a good tune and his tune was the best tune, and yes as you mention the fact that I am dealing with directly makes it so much better, and even though we still fixing the problem I've already decided to stick with Rob when the times comes for a Stage 2 Tune.

#9 · (Edited)
Yes I do have a Boost gauge, the the thing is even though it is tightened I am not getting and crazy boost( guess the engine management takes car of everything?) the car still boosts 0
7 Bar, I disconnected one of the TCV to check if I might be having other issues but the car boosted fine to 1.0 Bar before going crazy,

If you are experienced with Volvos could you assist me further with the situation?

#10 · (Edited)
I disconnected one of the TCV to check if I might be having other issues but the car boosted fine to 1.0 Bar before going crazy,
Disconnected what? A hose or the electrical connection?

The wastegate adjustment on the LPT 2.5t is quite sensitive and is very light. The eyelet on the wastegate arm should slip over the pin with very little spring spring tension holding the door closed. Like 1/4 to 1/8 overlap should be enough spring tension for your engine. If you notice low boost up it by one full turn until it boost correctly without overboosting.

#11 ·
The wastegate hose(yellow) connected to the TCV disconnecting it would make the car overboost a little before noticing something wrong and go crazy, I should clarify that my car is a T5 not a LPT and my boost gauge which is in BAR shows 0.7BAR = 10 PSI which is the stock boost

#14 ·
That's exactly how I set up mine, pump it up to 4 psi and adjust the arm so it slips on perfectly. Test by pumping it up again and it should just barely wiggle and start to open at 4 psi.

#15 ·
I've not adjusted the wastegate yet, I woke up a little late and the garage was already closed, now Just out of curiosity, at the moment my waste-gate is tighten as much as possible which means more boost/ less spool delay, but ME 7.0 engine management controls everything and would not let the car overboost, but still it wouldn't make the car not boost, right? what I mean is, having my actuated tighten is not the cause of my stage 1 tuned car not to boost over stock boost level, right?

#16 ·
If you have the wastegate tightened all the way, that is your issue. The wastegate adjustment is very sensitive and must be correct for the ecm to control boost correctly. These ecm controlled turbos are not like older boost controlled wastegates. You cannot just keep tightening the wastegate and expect higher boost, it doesn't work that way. Having the wrong adjustment will cause havoc. I would get it set properly if its been messed with. Then check for boost leaks.

#17 ·
regardless, I am still waiting for further instructions from Rob, and I cant visit the garage because I am in work all day.
meqnwhile,If anyone have any tips/advice he could share to further increqse my knowledge and help me withe my issue please do so.

#18 ·
Not trying to sound like a smartass but you should have done your homework and been self-schooled on this matter before attempting this mod.Have all your ducks lined up in advance.Tools,gauges,etc.Because of your lack of letting the dog eat your homework,you are making this guy jump thru hoops to make it right.And then,you have the audacity to incite a post.Yikes.

#19 · (Edited)
And I don't wanna sound like a smartass but, Just wanted to let you know that rob sent me a new updated files, and the tune finally worked, giving me near 1.0 Bar boost, but thank you for NOT JUMPING to conclusion, brother.
You had the audacity to jump to conclusions and point fingers and instantly making me the bad guy here before even waiting for a post from me updating you guys on the matter, but you did sound like a smartass brother, please before critisizing on something remember not to do the same thing they did, by the way I dod not make the post to critisize or point fingers at Rob as I had read enough posts to know he is legit, I made the post because I was frustrated and wanted a help in diagnosing the problem from my end and unlike you other members stepped in and helped me through stuff and told me that Rob can't not always answer my emails because he is busy all time which is something I did not know, Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.