SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am very happy to join, learn and share with all of you here on the forums. I have owned 2 Volvos in the past and have missed having one in my life. Previously I had a '98 S70 and a '93 850 (both n.a.) and my wife has rocked her trusty 2000 V70 for many years. (I helped her find it all the way in NJ.)

I've lusted after a VR since the year they were released, spent the past couple years researching a potential purchase, and the past year actively searching for the right one to bring home. I was looking for one in great condition, miles below 100k, full service history and of course a fair price. I currently live in Iowa so it was nearly impossible to find what I was looking for nearby. I was already resolved to jumping at the right one even if it meant importing it across the country.

In early December, I had been very busy at work and realized I hadn't checked my personal email for a while. To my surprise (and panic), I saw I had let an eBay alert slip by and quickly jumped into the details.

It was listed on the Swedespeed classifieds here and the auction is still up here for now.

I had missed it by an entire 5 days(!), the bids were up to $7,700 but the "Buy It Now" was a very reasonable $9,800. From watching and passing on cars that went much higher, I knew if I didn't move NOW this car would be gone fast. (The owner later told me he was on the verge of pulling the "Buy It Now" off at that time.) After 15 intense minutes of reading and agonizing over the pictures, description and seller history, I took a deep breath and hit "Buy It Now". Did I really just buy my dream car? It didn't feel real. Total car nerd here.

Communicating with the seller, BK, was very reassuring. I asked him a ton of questions and all the answers were what I wanted to hear, yet he was very honest about any "issues" (tiny as they were). The timing was perfect as I was planning to travel south for the holidays anyway. My wife and I quickly bought tickets to D.C., flying out on, yes, Christmas Day. Thanks, Santa.

I would drive the car nearly 900 miles to Memphis to visit family, then another 800 back home. I didn't want any roadside issues. In talking with BK, I found out the timing belt had not been replaced yet (not scheduled until higher mileage but it is also 11 years old). He was amazing in working with me to recommend his trusted local indy and drop it off for the work to be done prior to my pickup. They also did the tensioner, pulley, water pump and serpentine for a fair price. What an awesome seller!

The wife and I explored D.C. for a day before picking up the car on Dec. 27th, as great as described. So CLEAN:

She drove like a beast all the way home. It was a fun road trip getting to know the car.

To fix issue number one (bad sound quality from iPod connector), a new Grom was installed within days. I tested the front left speaker from behind the head unit and decide it is blown. I'll fix that later.

Cosmetically the car was nearly flawless except for a couple wheels in need of refinishing. I replaced them with brand new OEM 18's clad in G-Force rubber. I'll have refinished 17's for sale in the future.

Quick shots of the car at home in COLD Iowa with the new wheels and other goodies:

The winters here can ruin nice beige carpeting so these were a must:

I think that last shot really captures how nice the interior has been kept.

Last weekend the rear windows were tinted to 15% (Iowa's silly tint laws allow NOTHING up front and they do pull you over for it). A quick shot of the tinted rear in nearby Omaha, where my buddy, thesternowl, keeps his R. He was a lot of help in my quest, by the way:

Anyway, thanks for all the useful info so far. I've been lurking for months. I plan to keep updating this thread to chronicle my journey with the R, even boring maintenance stuff. It's as much for me as anyone else, so I hope you don't mind. More to share very soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Wow, looks great! Congrats on the buy! That's a great buy story, as well. Road trip shakedowns after purchasing cars are fun. lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beautiful! It's my car's twin!! Only a few numbers off on the VIN too! Congrats on the purchase, looks like a great deal!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, looks great! Congrats on the buy! That's a great buy story, as well. Road trip shakedowns after purchasing cars are fun. lol
Thanks! Yeah, if I wasn't committed with the deposits I certainly was once I had work being done before even seeing it! Thankfully I feel comfortable in knowing what to look for and which questions to ask in advance. I've purchased and sold a number of cars remotely and thankfully haven't had an issue yet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful! It's my car's twin!! Only a few numbers off on the VIN too! Congrats on the purchase, looks like a great deal!
Nice! There are only so many of us. Thanks for the welcome. It was worth the wait!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Beautiful ... +1 extra for the clean sharp photography!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the car finally home, I took care of some basics two nights ago.

FCP Euro sale! :

Looks like the fuel filter hasn't been done in a while:

Could it be original?

Ahhhh:

Is this much oil around the charge pipe normal? There are also a few pools around the oil cap. Indy in VA said the PCV should be done within 10-20k. Maybe now?

The upper mount is torn, but definitely not the worst I've had on one of my Volvos.

I ordered a new square mount style to try.

The coils look original. I'll save them just in case.

These NGK plugs were put in 30k miles ago according to the Indy. They are at twice the spec gap.

New air filter. Old air filter (I took off the sock.) Definitely time.

Ahh! So fresh and clean:

All tucked away with new mount, coils, plugs and filters:

It roared awake upon start and is much peppier now. There was a very slight shudder upon braking to a stop that is now gone.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be doing the same exact thing next week! How hard is it to change the fuel filter?
Super easy!

1.) Jack the RR side up safely (chock the front tires and use extra jack stands just to be safe).
2.) Release pressure at the fuel rail under hood and use rag to catch fuel.
3.) Undo one bolt that holds filter bracket on.
4.) Press releases at fuel filter with your fingers and pull the old filter off.
5.) Install new filter.

That's it. There's a good video on Youtube of a guy with his S60R but he doesn't show the fuel rail part.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Super easy!

1.) Jack the RR side up safely (chock the front tires and use extra jack stands just to be safe).
4.) Press releases at fuel filter with your fingers and pull the old filter off.
5.) Install new filter.

That's it. There's a good video on Youtube of a guy with his S60R but he doesn't show the fuel rail part.
You can do it without jacking up the caR and without releasing the pressure at the fuel rail. There's a schrader valve right at the filter. I just relieve the pressure there.

My run-down:
Undo Bolt
Release Pressure
Press Buttons
Swap Filters
Redo Bolt

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Nice R

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Nice buy and super clean! Looks like it has the HU-650 instead of the hu-850? Interesting. Welcome to the R club :partywave:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Looks very clean! Welcome to SS!

When I bought mine we flew from Florida to CT, test drove then bought it with a cashier's check the next day. Then, drove it home. There's nothing like being in the car for 18+ hours to really get to know it.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Welcome to the club! I'm coming up on ten years since I bought my 04 SR MT and plan on getting at least another 5 years out of her if I'm lucky.

One of the greatest cars I've ever owned, especially since its been tweaked for some additional power, and even nicer now that I moved from FL to an ice and snow state like CO. :cool:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Awesome!
Super easy!

5.) Install new filter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sup Evan and welcome! Looking forward to seeing it in person soon. As you can see, based on my signature, you should have many miles of enjoyment ahead.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Looks very clean! Welcome to SS!

When I bought mine we flew from Florida to CT, test drove then bought it with a cashier's check the next day. Then, drove it home. There's nothing like being in the car for 18+ hours to really get to know it.
+1

2400 miles in 48 hours for my drive home with my R. That was almost 7 years ago, and I still love mine. My story in my signature.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Congrats, Need4Svede. Nice car, and good story! Welcome, and enjoy!
I need to tackle some of those same things with a spring sale in a few months.

odiespankers07 - such an easy task, fuel filter. I think mine was original as well, and resolved a little idle thing I noticed when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
With the car finally home, I took care of some basics two nights ago.

FCP Euro sale! :

Looks like the fuel filter hasn't been done in a while:

Ahhhh:

You may want to invest in a PEM relocation kit.

Welcome to the silver VR club. It's hard to tell in pics but is it 426 or 477? Here's my '07 Electric Silver.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts