SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to get a new bulb for my 2006 S60R. I went to O'Reillys and they told me I needed an H9 bulb and they only had 1 option and it was 3200k, 55W for the brightness (Basically Yellow).

I was looking at IPD and FCPEuro and I cant find where it says the brightness or the wattage on some of them.

Anyone know of a good place to get a bulb or can you define what the ones on IPD or FCP are for specs? I think I am looking at doing something in the 5000k range. What is the stock light at?

Also, on FCP I shop for my car but it doesn't seem to sort the items by the trim (R) so if it says it fits an S60 does it fit our caR?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, When some of them say low beam or high beam or both, how is this defined? I am presuming I'd want both?

Thanks,

·
Registered
110 Posts
i think it might depend if your caR had Halogens or Xenons to figure out that specs you're looking for. H9 is the daytime running light btw, that's why it's yellow

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Their catalog or the counter person is wrong. Your car has a D2R HID bulb. All R's have HID headlamps and the H9 is not the headlamp bulb for these models. They are expensive for reliable brands (Oreilly does show them, D2R for 99.99 in Sylvania and 84.99 in Eikos). You can find good brands cheaper online.

The first things you to do is to assure that the ballast isn't the issue. If you swap bulbs left to right and the problem follows the bulb then it is bulb. If the issue stays on the same side then it is likely ballast or at least not the bulb.

What position in the headlamp does the non functioning bulb occupy?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
There is only one bulb for the highbeam and low beam. It's a D2R Xenon... They should be replaced in pairs. Amazon has Philips 5000k ones for $40 each. The DRL is a halogen bulb.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Chances are you have xenon (HID) lamps. I don't think any S60R besides maybe some European models have halogen.

Is you light output yellow like an incandescent light bulb or white like LED? Xenon lamps are a natural white light.

If xenon, the actual bulb is a D2R bulb. With HID lights, it is recommended to order in pairs to make sure the color temperature is the same.

I believe stock bulbs are phillips which are $$$. I always get mine from DDM tuning @ $15 for a pair but they are not phillips.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
$42.69 per bulb on Amazon for Philips D2R 4300k...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

I will try the lightbulb swap idea. It is out on the passengers side. It is a purple hue right now but does eventually die. The lights normally are a bright white. Based on the picture above (I know it is not an R) it is in the Low beam position.

Amazon may be the way to go, I have lots of gift cards there.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Thanks guys,

I will try the lightbulb swap idea. It is out on the passengers side. It is a purple hue right now but does eventually die. The lights normally are a bright white. Based on the picture above (I know it is not an R) it is in the Low beam position.

Amazon may be the way to go, I have lots of gift cards there.
If it's purpling it's the bulb dying. That's what HIDs do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is only one bulb for the highbeam and low beam. It's a D2R Xenon... They should be replaced in pairs. Amazon has Philips 5000k ones for $40 each. The DRL is a halogen bulb.
Do you have a link? When I search I don't see those ones. At least the ones I am looking at doesn't say the brightness.

Also, does it matter if the wattage is less than the 55w I was told it needed? These ones are 35W.

·
2,521 Posts
Go back to your oreileys tell em they're morons

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Also, does it matter if the wattage is less than the 55w I was told it needed? These ones are 35W.
I think the stock ballasts are 35W, so even if you buy a 55w bulb, it will run at 35W. 55W is technically only for off road use as far as I know (though there's not much to stop you from using 55W ballasts and bulbs).

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm switching out my old ones since they are different color lol, probably the previous owner changed one of them without doing color match. I'd to let go the OEM one (hopefully one of them is) in a few days when my new ones arrive. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I would get D2C bulbs which have much better light output but not enough to blind anyone.
Ditto on this. I like my light pattern much better without the shade band of the D2R bulb. No issues with other drivers being blinded either.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts