SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install an electric fuel pump back by the tank on my 544. The best spot looks to be right in front of the fuel tank, parallel with the edge of the tank, and perpendicular with the front of the car. There is a sheet metal brace right there. To make sure this operation is reversible, I am looking to remove the fitting from the tank and replace it with a 90 degree one that will route a new section of fuel line to the right rear, then turn a 180 and feed into the new pump, then on the output side, turn 90 again and reattach to the existing fuel line that goes to the front of the car. I need to find a few 90 degree fittings that have the right TYPE and SIZE to make this work. The stock fitting looks like this:

The smaller end goes into the fuel tank and I think it is tapered like a pipe thread. As near as I can tell this is an M10X1.0 fitting. Do they have tapered ones or were my eyes deceiving me ?

The large end looks to be an AN type. I know it's 1/2" with 18 thread per inch. Is that AN type flare ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just pulled an old one off a tank. I measured the small end (definitely tapered) and get .41" (10.41 mm) at the largest thread. As far as pitch, I get 27 tpi.

Could it be 1/8" pipe thread?

Large end: I get .4935 diameter and 20 tpi.

Reminder: These measurements are from a used 55 year old fitting measured with 58 year old eyes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blueosprey90,

Thanks for the link. I'll verify, with my calipers that the tank fitting is tapered or not. We have a pitch guide, but I used one of those boards you see at a hardware store that has all the male and female fittings on it for you to try your nut or bolt to determine the size. My wife got it for us at Amazon. Pretty handy.

Gearbasher,

About the same age of fitting and eyes here too !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts