SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hej......where are all the OSD'ers planning to pick up cars in the next 6 months????

We need to hear about cars, travel plans, sights to see, places to go...........I need an OSD fix!!!! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hej......where are all the OSD'ers planning to pick up cars in the next 6 months????

We need to hear about cars, travel plans, sights to see, places to go...........I need an OSD fix!!!! :)
We just got back last night from 10 days in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I'd post something good but I have no idea what time zone I am in yet :) Will post some stuff soon!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just got back last night from 10 days in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I'd post something good but I have no idea what time zone I am in yet :) Will post some stuff soon!
We will look forward to your post........thanks!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pickup in other cities

I want to go to Goteborg to get my car but at the same time most of our travel plans are in Germany, Austria, and Italy. How common is it for someone to pickup their car at one of the other locations such as Vienna? I know it adds to the cost, but also wondering how much of the whole experience of getting my new Volvo is lost this way.

Thanks for the information!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
I would suggest picking up in Gothenburg, staying a day or say...turning the car back in for home shipment and flying to Vienna. It will be much cheaper, save time and your car will start making it's way back home while you are still enjoying your vacation. Just a thought

·
Registered
19 Posts
Other Delivery Centers

I want to go to Goteborg to get my car but at the same time most of our travel plans are in Germany, Austria, and Italy. How common is it for someone to pickup their car at one of the other locations such as Vienna? I know it adds to the cost, but also wondering how much of the whole experience of getting my new Volvo is lost this way.

The FDC experience is much more comprehensive than picking up from one of the satellite centers. For our delivery in "Munich" (actually was in Baierbrunn, about thirty minutes outside of the city), we went to a Volvo dealership. It was little different than getting a new car from any other dealership, though my wife was given a small bouquet of flowers as a gift.

The FDC experience, paired with factory tour, is significantly more comprehensive and, well, frankly, "special"--throwing in the loyalty offer and pre-built incentive, we ended up with a couple extra nights in Gothenburg. At any rate, not being on the hook for our Swedish hotel stay was a nice thing, coupled with the upgraded room. Also, the gratis airport pickup was much appreciated, particularly because I had a bad flight over and wasn't in any condition to drive. Corptravel also allowed us to fly out of Frankfurt this time (the preceding OSD, we needed to use the same airport for European arrival/departure).

That all said, looking at your intended travel itinerary, you may much benefit by cutting to the chase, as it were, and beginning your trip in Berlin, Vienna or Rome depending upon your desire to ordinate things. Based on your plans, it doesn't look as though you were intending to avail yourselves of the FDC experience, but were rather looking to be on the road as quickly as possible? While we greatly enjoyed the FDC experience this time through, it doesn't make much sense to do it unless you've a passing desire to tour some of Sweden--plus, there's always next trip (which, for us, will involve not using the Swedish rail system...cancelling the Goteborg-Kobenhavn train mid-journey in Helsingborg, and having all passengers disembark, because it's delayed?!?!?! Really?).

Depending upon the time of year, there's something to be said for avoiding ferry crossings to Sassnitz, too--water is excessively choppy, and that ferry is not always the most timely, unless you're planning a mid-June to early August trip, and even then, I'm not a fan of the Sassnitz crossing (three times in my life getting sorely seasick, all three within four hours of Sassnitz). You may also want to consider a dropoff center other than Aviano (in addition to being expensive, the car is literally driven under its own motive power from the dropoff). Munich dropoff is now actually at the airport itself (Franz Josef Strauss) and involves putting the car in a carrier. That said, using a non-Gothenburg dropoff does add to the time needed to get the vehicle home to you--in our case, about two weeks. The varying dropoff points also have diverse requirements for fee payment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All great suggestions

I understand what your saying about sounding like I want to get on the road as soon as possible. This is literally a once in a lifetime trip and I guess we're trying to see as much as possible. Being retired Air Force, I have friends in Aviano and was planning on staying there four days. Maybe we can leave a day early and fly back out of Munich which would be easier and give a chance to cut back through Austria. I don't want to just speed through Europe but also trying to keep the trip to two weeks due to vacation time available. Thanks for the tip about the ferry.....the other ferry route to Poland seemed really long so I'm trying to do the four hour trip to get to Berlin by mid afternoon. We are quite a way out from our trip (haven't even officially talked to the dealer yet), so I"m sure our plans will change many times.....something my girlfriend does everytime she looks at the map!! :rolleyes: ha ha

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suggest picking up in Gothenburg, staying a day or say...turning the car back in for home shipment and flying to Vienna. It will be much cheaper, save time and your car will start making it's way back home while you are still enjoying your vacation. Just a though

+1

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I want to go to Göteborg to get my car but at the same time most of our travel plans are in Germany, Austria, and Italy. How common is it for someone to pickup their car at one of the other locations such as Vienna? I know it adds to the cost, but also wondering how much of the whole experience of getting my new Volvo is lost this way.

From my 3x OSD experience, and a desire to see my Italian friends/family every time we are in Europe...

Take a delivery in Goteborg...the FDC experience is a must to have...a big part of overall package..
Fly out on Saturday, arrive to G-b on Sunday and schedule a delivery for Monday.

Take an overnight ferry to Kiel on Monday afternoon...you are in Germany next morning, rested, very much over the jet lag, WITH your car, and ready for any itenerary you might choose across the countries that you have mentioned...

Drop a car in Munich or Bremenhaven...or if France looks attractive - in Paris...

You can do your own math - but my suggestion would be the most reasonable cost wise...overnight ferry is comparable wth the intra-Europen flights, traveling in your own car is the cheapest and most convenient (luggage in a trunk!!!!) in Europe, and the drop-off is much less expensive than any out-of-factory delivery...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts