SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For over a week now, both my R's are having the same the symptoms. On a cold start (every morning) they start to turn over, then shudder hard, and stall. Then on the second start it always fires off fine. I have searched and searched, and the only thing I can find seems to relate to S40s. I am pretty sure it isn't gas, as my wife and I always use premium 93 octane, we both buy from different stations, so the chances of us both getting the same gas are slim. Could it be batteries? They don't have trouble turning over, it just won't stay cranked on the first try. Any help would be appreciated, as it only happens in the mornings, so I would have to leave it over night with the stealership for them to recreate it. Thanks everyone!

Adam

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: Need some help! (Adam12)

Hey man, search for: hard starting, fuel pressure regulator, leaking fuel injectors etc...

What this sounds like, from the info I have to go on, is that you are losing fuel pressure in the fuel system overnight. There are measures put in place in the fuel system to maintain the proper pressure after shut-down, and it sounds like you're experiencing a lack of fuel for the first start, but then on the second try everything is fine. It is *very* odd that it is happening to both of your Rs though. Measuring the static fuel pressure (with a fuel pressure gauge for FUEL INJECTED vehicles - gauge must be capable of measuring near or over 100psi - screwed onto the schrader valve on your fuel rail) in the morning before trying to start it, would be the first thing I'd try. It's very easy to do, and because you're not having issues after the first stutter/stall, you dont have to worry about monitoring the gauge while the car is running. You simply want to install the gauge on the fuel rail at niight, when you put her away, note the reading, then compare the psi in the morning before starting it. A decent gauge is available at harbor freight tools or autozone for around $20-$30.

Good luck! Report back your findings if you go ahead with the diagnosis yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts