SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change all subframe bushings, lower eng/ trans mount, and any other motor mounts with the exception of the top engine mount which is completed. I used the IPD poly top engine mount bushing. I also want to change all my bushings with the suspension.

My question is: What should I use? What parts make everyone happy?

·
Registered
557 Posts
What type of transmission do you have? MT or GT?

If you like better road 'feel' go poly!
I replaced my lower control arm bushes with poly and love the 'crispness' of the front end now.
I have a GT, and the marginal increase in vibrations are outweighed by the better road feel.

If you're sensitive to vibrations then stick with stock.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of transmission do you have? MT or GT?

If you like better road 'feel' go poly!
I replaced my lower control arm bushes with poly and love the 'crispness' of the front end now.
I have a GT, and the marginal increase in vibrations are outweighed by the better road feel.

If you're sensitive to vibrations then stick with stock.
Thanks, and bump to all. Come on fellas help a brother out! What do I buy? In my sig tells all info on my car. I am ready to buy all my stuff now, so what do I buy? I do want to go poly. I dont mind the vibrations, and my wife will love the vibrations, so poly it is!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im looking to do the same thing in the near future. When you get a full list together post it up plz!

Also, is there any special tools to take the struts off to get the LCA out? I know a spring compressor, any others?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I strongly suggest going with IPD for most bushings I have the Lower T Mount Upper Engine, Stability Bar Bushings, and for suspension go with the PowerFlex Poly Bushings, I love what I have done so far however I'm going OEM with suspension bushings this time around.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
herp derp

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
WTF does that mean???
"herp derp" is an expression used when a person, or yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey.

So...

I went with iPd upper (blue, round conversion), iPd lower trans (black), and ordered their subframe (blue, only one they offer) inserts (friend of mine did full subframe swaps with Delrin and loved his decision - I might do the same).

CA bushing I'd stay factory, easier that way and last just as long, so changing the LCA is the way to go if those are shot (or if the ball joint is).

GL.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In my sig tells all info on my car.
Sorry dude, I've turned off sigs for reading clarity...

If you:
a. want to go poly across the front end
b. aren’t concerned about the increase in NVH
c. are doing the work yourself
d. aren’t worried about labor time
e. and want to save some $$$ in the process​
Then here’s a suggestied combo:

LCA
Keep your arms & replace the bushings if your ball joints are OK (as tuscani mentioned)
Front
= Powerflex poly bushings
(they are cheaper but you have to mess about with recovering & cleaning the metal insert)
Rear
= Superflex/SuperPro poly bushing
(you might get away with using the rubber XC70 LCA rear bushing)

Lower engine mount
= IPD lower trans poly mount (replace the mount)
OR
Powerflex poly bushings (re-use the mount)

Subframe
= IPD subframe insert kit

The other ghetto (but still effective) option is to fill the voids in any of the stock mounts with liquid urethane. Personally I’d just use new mounts…

Happy shopping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts