SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I own a s60r but my girlfriend owns a 2006 s40i. For the past week or so her car is randomly dying while driving it and all of the lights on the dash light up. Then she turns the car back on and then its fine. It drives fine as well but in the morning when turning it on it seems like it sounds kind of rough and wants to die. What could this be that the car would just randomly die like that? Thank in advance for any help! It happened 6 times today! Fuel pump maybe?!?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Randomly dying can be a few things, randomly dying and all the lights come on, usually need a new battery.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
sounds to me like your gonna need a new Alternator because if its dying while the car is running its because the alternator is crapping out. also you will need a new battery because the alternator hasnt been keeping it fully charged.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It's very possible it is the alternator. I had that problem happen to my wife's car (not a Volvo) not long ago. The battery will have sufficient amount of power to start the car and run some but no alternator will charge it properly so eventually the car runs on the battery capacity alone which will last only some short time. If you start it with an other car the battery will charge from that car some. You'll think it's fine than a few miles down it will die again...

Now it could also be that the battery isn't holding charge any longer. Have it tested...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts