SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member here, first post, wish it wasn't this one.

So I noticed a bit of oil leaking in the garage recently, just a few drips, nothing major. This started maybe a week or so ago on our 2005 Volvo S40 (non turbo). Today being Saturday, I thought i'd get underneath and do some investigating to see if I could locate the source, hoping it would be something simple like the oil drain plug. To my surprise, I found this gaping hole in what seems to be the bottom of the transmission case. I checked the engine oil on the dipstick and its completely full so definately not engine oil.

I have no clue how this happened. Neither myself of my wife who drives the car regularly ran over anything that would have caused damage. The plasic protective cover that protects the bottom was covered in gear oil, but was otherwise un-damaged. I'm actually really surprised the tranny survived this long (possibly a few weeks) with no oil in it.

I need to know what I'm looking at for repairs here and what my options are. I've always used forums in the past as I've found them extremely helpful resources. Any direction you can give me would be much appreciated. (I apologize if the pics are huge i'm not sure how to re-size for posting)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is meant to be there, PA. I think it is to drain clutch dust, not really sure, but I just did a clutch job and mine has the same (it is cast in there). I think that your leak might be a rear main seal, or your transmission front seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is some encouraging news. I guess I forgot to mention this is a manual transmission. All of the oil was pooled up around and dripping right from that very spot which led me to believe that was the cause of the leak. There appeared to be quit a bit that drained onto that plastic protective cover as well. The pics taken were after I wiped everything clean.

If it is in fact a front or rear transmission seal, has anyone had experience replacing these that could give me an estimate of what repair should be?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yeah that hole is deffinitly supposed to be there, so no worries on that... But that leak is an issue, if its a rear main seal, were talking $$$ mostly because of labor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok stupid question, but if it is in fact the rear main seal, would it be leaking gear oil or engine oil?
Also, is this something I could just live with and add oil as needed?

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
motor oil would be leaking.. to be honest i think it gets progressive worse as a leak if you leave it alone, but i could be wrong, plus i think your one of the first to post on here about having one.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
The Picture are so close it a little Hard to ell exactly where - I'm looking , but in one of the Photo's I see light red Oil , so it could be Trans Oil .

Jack Driver's side and remove Fill plug to inspect Level . Inset Finger Tip should be able to Wet , If Not Add some Lucas Syn Oil Booster 2-3 Oz. and Manual Trans Oil .

Also How's the Brake Fluid Level ?

What does it Smell Like ?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The problem is there could be 3 different fluids coming out from there. Motor oil = rear main seal, Gear fluid = transmission, Dot4 = brake/clutch fluid from slave cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its doesn't appear to be red at all. As far as smells hard to tell, smells like synthetic oil, nothing real distinct about it. I didn't even think to check brake fluid. The pictures were difficult to get the correct angle of what I was trying to show, here's a few more I took that maybe will help with the location. Like I mentioned, everything was pooled right around where that hole is underneath which I believe is the engine and the gearbox? Not sure if these will help. I probably shouldn't have wiped everything up before taking the pics. Live and learn

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Jack Driver's side and remove Fill plug to inspect Level . Inset Finger Tip should be able to Wet , If Not Add some Lucas Syn Oil Booster 2-3 Oz. and Manual Trans Oil .

Also How's the Brake Fluid Level ?

How many Miles on this Volvo and are the Original Owner etc. ?

Volvo Use to use a redish Trans Oil - Years ago .

It does look like the Area of Concern , but just to be sure - as I see a lot of Sand collect on the Pan also - Hows the other end of the Oil Pan - Look ?_?

Just asking as the Oil Usually goes lower and in one Picture - It has traveled Higher .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brake fluid level appears ok. 106k miles on it, i'm the second owner since 30k. All scheduled maintenance followed per schedule, this car is not abused at all. The other end of the pan was spotless, its definately not coming from the rear of the pan. If you look at my last pic, the oil almost seemed to be following the seam along that gasket, I just assumed it was coming from that hole and there were drips hanging from it when i pulled the shield off. Is there anything directly above where it could be leaking from? I'll have to do some more investigating in daylight tomorrow to check the level and what not. Its just hard to see anything when its on ramps, probably needs to see my Volvo mechanic and get it on a lift to get any real info I guess.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
i had the same leak. it's the rear main seal. looks like a new clutch and flywheel is in your future. i had this done under warranty last year with the same leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts