SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, 26k miles and one has a bubble in it. Might as well replace all 4 as the tires don't have much tread left. Any suggestions for stock 205/55/R16 tires in All Season Performance flavor? My wife says Michelin, but they're just way too pricey (she works for a rubber testing and analyzing company and says Michelin's rubber is top notch).

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: Need replacement tires for my V50 T5 AWD (theshadallac)

hmmm.. I'd say go with what the wife says here... after all she does work for a rubber testing and analyzing company
or listen to one of us and sleep on the couch for a week or 2 , or listen to one of us and what you end up saving on the Michelins... you better spend on her... just a tip

·
Registered
17 Posts

Depending on where you look Pirellis tend to be slightly less than the Michs and are definitely top-notch. Hate to sound like an old fart but for my 225/40 18's Consumer Reports rates Pzeros above the PS2's AND they're 20 bucks cheaper a pop. I like tirerack.com. At any rate, happy hunting.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...1&y=9

·
Registered
144 Posts

When asking my tech about replacements he said he found some strange wear patterns on gatorback tread designs on AWD. I haven't heard anyone here complain but see what tire rack says.

I agree Michelin is overpriced but many times I found the cheap tires were not as round and true, causing noise and/or poor wear.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I replaced my OEM's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and liked them at first, but they became noisy and didn't wear that well. Last summer I decided to replace them with Cooper ZEON Sport A/S http://www.coopertire.com/html...rt_as They are WAY less expensive than the Michelins, run quieter, and traction has been great. I would recommend you give them a look!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we ended up going with Firestone Firehawk GT's. Firestone matched Tire Rack's price. They also found the alignment off and took care of that. Total out the door was $520 including the alignment. I think we did pretty good. We'll see how well these hold up. They definitely have a sportier tread pattern than the old Continentals.

·
Registered
10 Posts

about 10k ago I replaced my OEM's with Yoko s. Drives. My Michelins grew a very unsightly and unsafe bulge the size of an egg in the sidewall. Maybe they have premium rubber material, however they simply do not last.

In comparison the s.Drives have better handling in dry or wet and are quieter than OEM. I would only recommend if you use a seperate set for winter tires (depending on your region)

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/s.drive.aspx

·
Registered
466 Posts
I went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960's on my S40. So far I'm lovin them. Got through the entire Michigan winter on them without any major hickups or spinouts as I like to drive fairly fast.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: (laser8302)

Our other S40 has the 960AS's too^ I love them, great all season tire, extremely stable and very good feedback. A little bit noisy at 25k now though, not bad though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.