SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone here do their own oil changes? My husband always does the maintenance on our vehicles and wants to change the oil. He took a look underneath the car and could not find the drain plug. Any tips on changing the oil?

Thanks in advance,
Tanya

·
Registered
300 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mr. T5:
I want to ask if Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic 5w-30 better or the Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 better? Any opinion?
I'd think they're both comparable as far as longevity is concerned. I read on another thread how the guys swear by the Amsoil, but they complain about the high price ($5 to $8 a quart) but I can pick up 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10-W30 at Costco for $22, so I just get that. The Mobil 1 should be good enough for 7500 mile oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by T5 Dave:
I'd think they're both comparable as far as longevity is concerned. I read on another thread how the guys swear by the Amsoil, but they complain about the high price ($5 to $8 a quart) but I can pick up 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10-W30 at Costco for $22, so I just get that. The Mobil 1 should be good enough for 7500 mile oil changes.

Supposedly, Amsoil is a bit better than Mobil1; I wouls certainly expect that for the extra $$$ that it costs. But if Mobil1 is good for at least 10,000 miles, why pay extra money for a (supposedly) superior oil? Mobil1 has tremendous qualities and reputation. I still change mine every 6 months now matter what the mileage might be. Use 5W-30 from November until March and 10W-30 thereafter.

Yannis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts