SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 S70 T5 steering rack has been leaking since last summer, and I've got the time and money to get it replaced by my trusted mechanic's shop.
Searching for the correct part, I've found high($350+) and low($190) prices and about 5 brands.
Local AutoZone has it for about $240 after core deposit return. Can't remember if it was new or remanufactured. Guessing it's remanufactured if they want a core.
Also found one on CraigsList for $200. Seller had a '98 S70 GLT that was totalled before the rack could be installed. They say when they bought the rack, it was made to fit all 1998-2000 FWD S70's.
Is that possible/true? Some websites give different manufacturer part #'s if you change the year from '98 to 2000.
Oh and when I called the local big Volvo dealer parts counter about it, they told me to look at the VIN plate in the engine bay but where Part Clerk #1 said to look(one of the boxes on the plate), it was blank. Then a more senior clerk said he could tell by my VIN number.
Any opinions about new vs remanufactured?
Do the steering pump or lines need to be replaced unless they are damaged?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If your product plate doesn't have a 4 or 5 listed where the guy told you to look it's because your car was made before they started distinguishing and therefore your car came with the earlier style rack.

It's possible that you have the newer style rack on there if it was replaced at some point by Volvo - both styles fit just fine (at least on the AWD racks), you just need to be consistent when buying corresponding steering parts.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible that you have the newer style rack on there if it was replaced at some point by Volvo - both styles fit just fine (at least on the AWD racks), you just need to be consistent when buying corresponding steering parts.
I've had the car since 70k miles and 8 years. I'm not sure if it was replaced, but I doubt it. It's possibly though, the stereo is not original(was a non-CD unit) and was upgraded to the CD player version by the original owner.

So as long as it is a FWD rack I'm okay? And if/when I buy other steering parts then I need to be sure to get '98 FWD T5? Or are you saying only the AWD racks are the same over all the years?

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
There are two different FWD racks, you will need the P/N off your rack to determine which you have.
You cannot tell by the VIN
Trust me on this, I've been through this too many times

Try to find one remanufactured in the USA, the Chinese ones are CRAP.
FCP Groton used to sell a decent rack but now sell the Chinese racks so do not buy theirs.
Pay a bit more, for $190 you will get a crap rack that may fail again soon

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Jim - why is it that you think that either rack won't physically fit?

At least on the AWDs, the difference is that the inner tie rods and boots are different and not interchangeable but since racks generally come with these already there's no issue - outer tie rods are the same.

Technically my car came with a TRW rack but at 50K miles Volvo replaced it and used an SMI rack. When I went to change the inner and outer tie rods on the car around 160K, I discovered I had ordered the wrong inner tie rods assuming that I had a TRW rack since Volvo hadn't introduced SMI racks yet when my car was made.

In any case, it's safest to just look at what pn your current rack has on it and order accordingly.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Just went with a Jorgen rebuilt rack on my car, great customer service and they send it in a prepaid box to return your core in. They'll work with you over the phone to ensure they send the correct rack.

http://jorgenauto.com/

Drives tight and no leaks now!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two different FWD racks, you will need the P/N off your rack to determine which you have.
You cannot tell by the VIN
Trust me on this, I've been through this too many times
Where on the rack do I look? My mechanic will let me put it on a lift, but I want to know what I'm looking for and not take up time in one of his bays.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
There are numbers somewhere on the bottom of the rack.

Will, I have been told repeatedly that I had to have the correct rack when ordering for a Gen 1
I DO know for a fact that 940-960 racks are very different from one to the other and if you have the wrong one, nothing (lines, etc) lines up

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Ok thanks Jim. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to confirm this on a FWD but I'm confident that at least the AWD racks are identical aside from inner tie rods and boots which only is a factor if replacing those items rather than the whole rack i.e. you have to order the corresponding parts to the rack rather than what came with the car.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to Craigslist seller again. There is only one number on the rack he has. It's "34010753 LH ISSUE." The rack is an "A1 CarDone" part.
Seller mentioned where he got the rack. I went to RockAuto.com and searched up 98 S70 2.3l T, and did it with other engines and other years, but always S70. And it gave the same part # every time. Either way, I worked a deal and the seller will let me take the rack to my mechanic to see if it matches up. Hope it fits.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
FYI - stay away from anything that is A1 CARDONE. Its chinese made crap. Do not use them. I tried it and had to do the repair twice on account of inferrior parts. This is not a repair you want to pay for twice. I broke down the second time and bought a VOLVO OEM one. It was $690 + $25 shipping and core, but was worth the price to me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Right now, I'm leaning away from buying it. Even if it was new and not remanufactured. Dude seems too anxious to sell it.

Edit: Also, PM brought up a great point. If the one I get does have a problem, who do I turn to? Certainly not the craigslist guy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got a rack here that was fin when I pulled it off my parts car... Ill sell it with the pump. PM if you're interested

·
Registered
16 Posts
A basic question (after dealer just told me my wife's 2000 S70's steering was leaking), how much of a job/PITA is it to replace the steering rack by one's self?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Can be done in the driveway - BUT.... subframe has to be dropped at the rear to allow rack to be pulled out the driver's side wheel well. That means you really want an engine cradle up top to be safe (I didn't use one). Press studs that go through rack mounts into subframe have to be tapped out also. This works fine for AWD rack. Additional issue with FWD is the rear mount casting built into the rack casing. This may interfere with removal in this fashion. Need someone with FWD experience to chime in on that. Definitely need a decent toolbox to handle this one, then get an alignment - toe adjust at the very minimum.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Trust me when I say a FWD rack will not work on an AWD version. I had 2 racks sent and the part #'s will tell they are interchangeable but they are not. I eventually just sent my original off to have it rebuilt. They did a terrible job and it started leaking 3 months later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts