SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my front struts are pretty much toast.

I'm leaning towards doing springs as well, because I hate dealing with spring compressors. My thought is to build new front strut assemblies and swap them as one whole piece. Doing that, so that I only use the compressors once.

I see that the Eibach pros are on sale right now. How well do they play with stock shocks/struts? Would I be better off doing aftermarket shocks and struts as well?

I'd consider coilovers, but it looks like the KW V2s are more expensive on the C30 than on my R, and don't even give rebound adjustments on the rear. Laaaaame.

I'd be doing new struts, strut mounts and bearings up front(building the whole assembly). Probably just the FCP OE kit, which is Sachs struts/bushing and Febi bearing. Anyone have any experiences with those? Are there better bushings? When I did the KWs in my R, I went with the XC90 bushings. Not sure if there's a similar issue with them wearing on the P1s as there is with the P2s.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just went with stock. Turns out I'm already on the <strike>sport</strike> dynamic suspension, so I went with FCP's Bilstein B4 refresh kit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just went with stock. Turns out I'm already on the sport suspension, so I went with FCP's Bilstein B4 refresh kit.
I could never get an answer out of Bilstein whether the B4's were an appropriate replacement for the OE sport shock which are valved differently from the standard "comfort" suspension shocks. FCP have them listed as appropriate for "dynamic" suspension, which is somewhere in the middle of the "comfort" and "sport" suspensions.

I'm running B4 in the rear, and about to put B8's in the front. Again, presuming that the 20mm drop of the sports springs is enough to warrant the use of the shorter B8 shocks up front.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have the comfort suspension on my V50 and installed B6. It is a very nice improvement in handling even with comfort springs. I would think the B4 would be a softer ride and the B8 for if lowered.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I actually have the dynamic suspension. FCP lists the B4 as the OEM replacement for the OE struts.

My C30 is my DD and my R is the monster on coilovers. I don't need both of my cars having a super dampened ride. I like the way the C30 handles and rides presently.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you put the B4s on the R or the C30? If so, how do you like them?
Sorry, wasn't paying attention. B4s went in the C30. They're the OEM version of the dynamic sport suspension that I have. The R has KW V2s and will always have them, those are utterly amazing.

are the springs on the dynamic suspension lower or same as the comfort but stiffer?
That I don't know. I think they're a tad lower and stiffer.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My experience with B4's is that they raise the height a tad and are somewhat stiffer than stock. That was on one of my P2's though with soft springs. Did this happen to you? How do you like ride?

My S40 also has the dynamic suspension with front struts marked 12. I'm contemplating the actual oem Volvo dynamic struts. It's my daily driver and already a little stiff of a ride I'm guessing due to the dynamic springs, so I'm a little concerned about adding more with the B4.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. Thinking about doing a 4c delete on my SR (blown strut) - trying to get as much info as I can on this. Leaning towards the Bilsteins (B4, 6, or 8)..

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My experience with B4's is that they raise the height a tad and are somewhat stiffer than stock. That was on one of my P2's though with soft springs. Did this happen to you? How do you like ride?

My S40 also has the dynamic suspension with front struts marked 12. I'm contemplating the actual oem Volvo dynamic struts. It's my daily driver and already a little stiff of a ride I'm guessing due to the dynamic springs, so I'm a little concerned about adding more with the B4.
I haven't noticed a difference in ride height and my struts were beyond blown. Ride has definitely improved.

Thanks. Thinking about doing a 4c delete on my SR (blown strut) - trying to get as much info as I can on this. Leaning towards the Bilsteins (B4, 6, or 8)..

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
On an R, I wouldn't bother with anything but 4C or KW coilovers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts