SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone. so i got a problem that came up today. opened the hood to find that theres oil leaking where the belts are. bottom of engine leaking on top of subframe and passenger motor mount. now, i tore apart the top of engine to find no leak up top. it has to be coming from the bottom somewhere.exhaust camshaft /intake camshaft in good condition. no leaks there. i will be posting a pic of this part that i found jut sitting there. can someone tell me what orwhere this goes? car has 180k and havent done the pcv replacement yet. glove test always appear to be normal, with vacuum. no smoke coming from dipstick. no oil from exhaust. just a oil leak so far. could it be clogged pcv causing oil past crankshaft seal?i do think its time for new pcv kit tho plus might as well take care of timing belt kit too. any help from community would be appreciated. need to upload pics for you guys. no cels or anything. Nose Font Smile Ear Circle Vehicle Auto part Car Bumper Engine Auto part Mid-size car Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If no PCV service that you're aware of, it could quite possibly be beginning to blow out the cam seals, or another engine seal somewhere due to the increased positive crankcase pressure (if it is indeed the PCV system clogged). Once you figure out what's going on, you'll want to replace that belt ASAP if it has any oil on it, particularly the pulley contact side as I've been told oil on the belts pose a risk of them slipping off, especially the timing belt. Hard to tell though, but from your pics I don't see any oil except way down towards the bottom. You may need to get under the car to better trace the leak. Good luck!! Try to figure out what it is though, if the seal that's leaking (if it is a seal leak that is), once that seal fully goes, the engine WILL empty out all of the oil rather instantaneously, especially if under load.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Are you certain there is no oil dripping down from the top in behind the cams? Honestly, 90% prob that this is your issue. Have not heard of crank seal going before cams but never know. There are a few plastic covers on the engine they prevent getting s good look from top to bottom.

As previously stated - if when the cam fully pops, you will have about 2-3 miles tops before you lose most of your oil. I did not believe this and tried to drive a vehicle that I had just purchased. We made it about 4 blocks and towed it.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
+ on possibly being your cam seals, I had a similar issue with my t5 you couldn't see it as it was dripping down behind the cam cover against the block. CHeck it when running and hot, look between the exposed part of the head above the hole where the front cover bolt goes in, you might be able to see some there if its the front cam seal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response! so a little update: verified that there is no oil leaking on top of the valve cover where ignition coils go. Took out spark plugs and no oil. now looking around the top of engine, there are no visible leaks. Now i go look in front of the engine,(where the belts are) nothing. I looked where the exhaust/intake camshaft sprockets are, nothing. Took off ALL plastic parts. Now that I have cleaned the entire bottom of car, splash pan, subframe, timing belt cover, passenger side mount. The leak looks like its coming from behind the crankshaft/acc pulley.(bottom pulley). So Im assuming its the crankshft seal, which looks pretty easy to replace. Also found out that my timing belt is loose. NOT GOOD! Tensioner is giving a little. At 180k i think i would expect that. I will be posting better pics of where i have looked, but dont really want to flood the thread. New parts will be ordered. Timing belt kit w h2o pump, pcv kit w nipple, crankshaft seal, thermostat. Thanks a lot fellow members! I will be updating again.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If it were me I would also do the cam seals. But that does make the job a bit bigger.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 6 of 6 Posts